Devils or Rangers: Who has the better future?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That would be an incredibly foolish and incorrect thing to say.

Buffalo Bills Super Bowl History

You don't seem to know much about modern sports history if that didn't immediately come to mind...

I meant recent history, just thinking about teams that have been to back to back semis/finals over the past decade such as the Cavs, the Cubs, the Dodgers, the Packers, the Seahawks, the Chiefs and they all at least have a championship to show for it.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
It's better than what the Islanders have accomplished the last two years and they get universal praise
That’s only because people still think they have a chance to win something with the current core. In the end if they don’t win a cup or even make it to the finals people people probably won’t think as highly of them.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Devils are stronger at center for the future, that is still the Rangers' weakness. They should have pulled the trigger on Eichel by now, not sure why they haven't. Both teams look really stocked in goal. The Rangers to me have an edge on the wings and on the blueline. But that weakness at center is a glaring hole. It makes me want to go with NJ.

I think this is overblown. Zibenejad is better than Hischier and Hughes by a fair margin, and there is a good chance neither reach his level of play.

Zibenejad has 95 goals and 104 assists for 199 points in his last 195 games as a Ranger. Centers like that don't grow on trees.

Strome has also done very well as a 2C. Strome has 108 points in his last 126 games as a Ranger. Yes, playing with Panarin helps but he proved this past season he didn't need him.

How weak the Rangers are down the middle is extremely overblown. Then they have Chytil waiting to take his next step. He has the tools just needs to put it together.

The Rangers don't have a "marquee" name at center, but their centers produce just as well.

And I'm fairly high on both Hischier and Hughes [I think both will be very good, Hischier just needs to stay healthy] but I don't agree with their "weakness" everyone sees.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Subban and Hamliton have been on teams that have made it farther in the playoffs that some of the Rangers veterans, so I don’t get that argument lol. And it’s probably going to be a mix, I wouldn’t be surprised if guys like Hischier, Hughes and Ty Smith become big vocal leaders of this group moving forward.

Hamilton has had a reputation of not being a good teammate since the Bruins days and Subban seems like a very polarising player but who knows, maybe the team loves him. Tatar is a journeyman who plays wherever he gets paid and disseaperes in the playoffs. So my argument isnt about who has playoff experience, its about the character of the vets. Jersey used to have some vets who seemed like great character guys, now, not so much. And other than those guys Jersey is a super young team.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
Hamilton has had a reputation of not being a good teammate since the Bruins days and Subban seems like a very polarising player but who knows, maybe the team loves him. Tatar is a journeyman who plays wherever he gets paid and disseaperes in the playoffs. So my argument isnt about who has playoff experience, its about the character of the vets. Jersey used to have some vets who seemed like great character guys, now, not so much. And other than those guys Jersey is a super young team.
Your argument is based on your opinion of the character of guys you never met.... ok.:sarcasm:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Like if I were a rival I'd make sure Rangers fans knew that they were arguably the closest to winning a championship over a 4 year stretch than any other team in modern sports history and yet still couldn't get it done...
I loathe the Rangers but other than being delighted that the Kings managed to beat them as well as us, I haven’t really noticed the Rangers’ brushes with near greatness. (As opposed to being a playoff team a lot with a great goalie.) I feel like they can’t remotely match the Flyers’ ability to come so close and yet not get it done. They are the one true master at that.

19104FAB-EF48-4243-9FBB-D814CA430F2A.png

The most memorable screw job was in 2005-06 when Cheechoo & Thornton went on an insane tear at the end and snatched the lead in goals & points from Jagr. And they picked up some awards in the process. (Almost felt bad for Jagr there.) And then the sweep.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Up until a few weeks ago I might've said Rangers, but seeing Drury in action as GM has me feeling pretty good about NJ's chances.

Having a top defenseman to match up against Fox was a glaring hole for NJ which they've seemingly solved with Hamilton. Having Luke Hughes in the mix also helps a ton. Rangers still need to find a long-term solution for their issues at center. I give NJ a slight advantage.

No issue picking Jersey yet based on those reasons? Really?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It's pretty close when you take away zibs and stroke. Kakko has been lackluster but so has Hughes. Lafreniere didn't have a great rookie year but the rangers still have panarin and a really good goalie in the future.
Rangers get the nod because of panarin. Both teams aren't world beaters.

Laf ice time was little. His run rate based on total ice time is equal to Tavares as a rookie while his shooting percentage was 5% higher than Tavares. He wasn’t on the ice enough

Reactions: bl02

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I like the Devils future better. I thought the Rangers were doing a good rebuild but then made a bunch of moves this off season that somewhat derailed the rebuild.

building a 3rd/4th line derailed a rebuild which includes six #1 picks with three in the wings w/o mentioning the rest of the kids?

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Because you literally have overpaid a guy in Goodrow, Replaced Buchnevich with Blais, added in more sandpaper and thrown away the skill, added in a plug in reaves, and have the paydays for multiple players coming soon. Kakko better hope to break through as well, and the same for Lafreniere, because the rangers rebuild is looking mightly unfinished and unpolished

the payroll increased by only $1.1 million while Buch was moved so Kakko gets more playing time and Laf’s ice time trailed both Kredier and Panarin’s.

The more you know

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Is that the solution to anything. If you wanna be better, you gotta get to that plateau mentally. The leafs and rangers are both mentally weak. They get eaten alive by the media and expectations. I don't think that trying to emulate tampa will help, because we all know how well cheap copies of teams always do the next season. No matter what, Drury can just implode your team in a few moments if some big name free agent is there, and I await that to happen. You can say that every player is the next lidstrom gretzky and hasek but they will all fizzle out. Drury is drafting worse than Gorton imo, and I expect worse trades from Drury as well. Prove it that the rangers are willing to make a playoff spot next season, because I don't see it

can tell you follow the Rangers closely

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
LOL - from Dom Luszczyszyn's article in The Athletic looking at which teams got better or worse this offseason:

NHL offseason by the numbers: Which teams have improved the most (and least)?

27. New York Rangers
Wins Added: -3.6 wins
Salary Added: $1.1 million

In: Barclay Goodrow, Dryden Hunt, Sammy Blais, Patrik Nemeth, Ryan Reaves, Jarred Tinordi
Out: Pavel Buchnevich, Tony DeAngelo, Colin Blackwell, Philipp di Giuseppe, Brendan Smith, Brett Howden

No team had a more baffling offseason as the front office seems to have gone all-in on the tougher to play against mandate. The Rangers spent an extra $1.1 million to be nearly four wins worse. Not a single player brought in is a significant needle mover and that includes Barclay Goodrow who will look much worse when not playing next to Gourde and Coleman. Ryan Reaves, at this stage of his career, hurts much more than he helps while neither Sammy Blais nor Patrik Nemeth offers much value above replacement.

It’s a whole pile of nothing but toughness. It has a place, but the Rangers should prefer players who are actually good on top of being in tough, like Wilson, to solve their Wilson problem. They overpaid to curb a hyper-fixation on one player and arguably set the team back to do it.

The Rangers should still be in the playoff mix after this, they had a strong base to begin with, but they didn’t make things any easier for themselves trading away Pavel Buchnevich. That’s a legitimate top line forward traded for a low pick and someone who hits. Great work.

so none of the players from the youngest team in the league will improve, the starting center will get Covid again while the star left wing will take off to Russia again

think people

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
- Tampa added grit to a finesse team which was swept by Columbus to win back back Cups

- Isles, Carolina, Montreal, St Louis, Dallas and Vegas all have grit and have been successful in recent years due to that grit

- Rangers add grit so derailed a rebuild?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The reaches in this thread. What a pissing show. If I could pee that far I wouldn't have to leave the bed...

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
- Tampa added grit to a finesse team which was swept by Columbus to win back back Cups

- Isles, Carolina, Montreal, St Louis, Dallas and Vegas all have grit and have been successful in recent years due to that grit

- Rangers add grit so derailed a rebuild?
Drury making those moves because your owner is a moron lmao. Also you're opinion on Hamilton is off.

Reactions: Chris Lean

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Centers: Devils
Wing: Devils
Defense: LOL seriously? Devils
Coaching: Devs
Scouting: NJ
Farm: Luke
Jerseys: New Jersey
Best Heats: Oil. Devils by miles on that one

Better future: Rangers squeeze this one out

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Rangers had a chance to runaway with thiserivalry in the upcoming years but they've seemed to have drafted busts with their picks with Laffy , Kakko and Kravtsov.

Neutral fan here : ill vote Devils , AINEC

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad