Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Good article (IMO) by Justin Bourne on why scoring drops in the playoffs.

I thought this was particularly insightful:

...when your wingers don’t fly the zone and rather pack it in the defensive zone with everyone else, it works like a nuclear deterrent. You don’t have to steal the puck or hit when you have five guys back and layered, because offensive players with the puck – see McDavid, Connor – will note that if they take a guy on one-on-one there will just be another defender after that, so there’s no point in attacking and risking a turnover on a selfish rush.

Also, this quote is something we've all discussed. Not sure what the Devils can really do about it. But it's still a fun turn of phrase:

Now factor in something Florida does better than any team in hockey -- they play physically and make doing your job hurt -- and the idea of getting to the dangerous parts of the ice must be like eating expired food. It’s one thing to summon the courage to go for it, but it’s another to do it without hesitation and mild nausea.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Having a wishlist doesn't necessarily mean you want to fill each one. I've said it a few times, but if we walk away from the offseason with one more legitimate top 6 winger that may be capable of playing C, a bottom 6 forward capable of being the best player on their line and PKing, a #6 D capable of splitting time with Bahl, and a goalie with a track record of competency I'm more than happy with that. Sounds like exactly what we're trying to do anyway.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I wonder what the ask on Batherson would be from Ottawa.

If they are having locker room issues and want to stir some stuff up, maybe a guy like Batherson is a guy that goes rather than Tkachuk. I'd have some interest.

Also....I've said multiple times that I don't think this team is going to trade Siegs....but I kind of feel like a Siegs for Gustavsson trade could make sense for both the Devils and the Wild. Both guys are coming off down years. Salaries are similar.

Each team re-allocates their assets to something they need. Also opens a spot for a true top 4 D if that's something Fitz really wants (though I'm not sure who that would be).

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Meier-Hischier-Mercer
Bratt-Hughes-XXX
Palat-Haula-Holtz
Lazar-XXX-Foote/Bastian
Foote/Bastian, Macdermid

So even if Holtz is still there you could see where they want the top 6 forward and bottom six player from. Trenin would be a good fit but I'm not going to sweat the fourth line out too much -- it's something they can easily add to at the deadline. And honestly if they need another winger for the top 6 -- deadline costs shouldn't be too bad seeing as Toffoli was had for a 2nd and 3rd.

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Nemec/Marino
XXX-Nemec
Hatakka

Not really sure I see the need on d for two more additions unless you're trading one of Siegenthaler or Marino. If Seattle is interested in a Marino for Larsson as a base for a swap I think that would fill the tough, big, d-man need that Fitz probably wants at a slightly lower cap hit but with the risk of Larsson walking away as a UFA while Marino still has term. But tbh it's not that a bad thing if Casey proves to be ready by next season.

Either way I think Bahl may be a candidate for a trade as well -- probably more value with him in a trade than as 7th d-man which is a role Hatakka could fill and opens up the space for a UFA/trade for a d-man.

But hopefully Fitz doesn't bloat this team out looking for those additions -- the team in it's current state with a goalie addition should be good enough to be in playoff position by the deadline. No need to bloat the team out with term contracts to middle six players/bottom 4 d-man when those kind of guys could be had for low costs at the trade deadline.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don’t think we need multiple dmen if no one is getting traded. Just add Brenden Dillon and call it a day.

Luke-Marino
Dillon-Hamilton
Siegs-Marino
Bahl in if Siegenthaler remains ass, Hatakka up

Nevermind. I was wrong.

Last edited:

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
IMG_8816.gif

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Also, this quote is something we've all discussed. Not sure what the Devils can really do about it. But it's still a fun turn of phrase:

The second part is rectified by having the league call the game by the rulebook in the regular season AND playoffs and having a deadly powerplay.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Thing is all that wish list does is replace players we lost during a shit season...

top-6 forward = Toffoli
a bottom-6 forward = McLeod
top-4 defenseman = dropping Bahl
A bottom-4 defenseman = replacing Smith

and a goalie

Dropping Bahl and adding a goalie are the only upgrades and I don't think that moves the needle enough?

Reactions: Guadana

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

The #1 by far reason for the drop in scoring is because the bad teams don't make it into the playoffs. Bad teams get scored on more and bring up the scoring rates in the regular season.

He's focusing on minor things and not really looking at the big picture.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I don’t think we need multiple dmen if no one is getting traded. Just add Brenden Dillon and call it a day.

Luke-Marino
Dillon-Hamilton
Siegs-Nemec
Bahl in if Siegenthaler remains ass, Hatakka up
I largely agree with this. If there are any big time Dmen we could target at the trade deadline (similar quality as Hanifin), I'd look at that and not bring in Dillon.

Regardless, I am not trading Marino - he was very good for us in his first season. He can at least move the puck as well, whereas Siegs struggles in that area.

ZYXWVUT

Feb 26, 2024
I think there is a legit chance Siegenthaler could be traded. Maybe not the most likely outcome as opposed to being back, but if Fitz is actually looking for a top four D (he did tell LeBrun on the record he wanted to do something on the backend), salary will need to go out presumably.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Thing is all that wish list does is replace players we lost during a shit season...

top-6 forward = Toffoli
a bottom-6 forward = McLeod
top-4 defenseman = dropping Bahl
A bottom-4 defenseman = replacing Smith

and a goalie

Dropping Bahl and adding a goalie are the only upgrades and I don't think that moves the needle enough?
I think the assumption is improved health and a more defensively oriented structure would be the things that move the needle enough.

I know you personally only care about results, but the team probably played better than their results during the first half of the season even despite the ludicrous injuries. That was the part where goaltending and a completely ineffective bottom six that was just sinking them. It was later on in the final few weeks of Lindy's tenure and under Greene that the wheels fell off.

Between the time Jack missed or was clearly playing at less than 75% and the time Hamilton missed, you're almost adding both of those players to the team that played most of last year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Having a wishlist doesn't necessarily mean you want to fill each one. I've said it a few times, but if we walk away from the offseason with one more legitimate top 6 winger that may be capable of playing C, a bottom 6 forward capable of being the best player on their line and PKing, a #6 D capable of splitting time with Bahl, and a goalie with a track record of competency I'm more than happy with that. Sounds like exactly what we're trying to do anyway.

Have to leave the offseason with a goalie, the top 4LHD/top 6 winger can be UFA or the TDL or maybe both if Fitz and company are feeling frisky. And then the depth is obviously in UFA

Reactions: Rhodes 81

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'm not really interested in Dillon if he's being used on a Dillon-Hamilton pairing. Not enough mobility and are likely to get exposed by speed.

Dillon's been pretty much telegraphed to Vancouver to replace Zadorov anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad