Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Zetterlund showing up to camp next year compared to all our tiny players

biggest-cow-steer-ever-in-australia-1.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think that the league will give the Devils anything here because the trade was made in December, not February, so sure the Return to Play devalued the pick relative to its value in March but I don't think it can be said to have realistically done so in December. But it's worth a shot.

I am not sure what the league would even give us. The only realistic thing is saying the playoff condition on the 3rd was met.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
LA has every reason to want a top pick like Laf though, their LW depth is nonexistent. just look at their draft history. their 2LW and 3LW are trevor lewis and martin frk

you could argue they could convert byfield to a winger, but laf has to be appealing

Or they can just draft Stuzle? Why pay a fortune to move up one spot? Laff isn't generational or anything.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I mean if it was our pick and we were that hung up in drafting for need as opposed to BPA (which i think is a bit silly as the top 3 are all forwards) just take Stuzle.

A top prospect and #2 for #1 doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Acting like Byfeld and Stuzle are scrubs.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Why do I get the feeling we trade up in the draft? I wonder if ownership would rather trade up or trade out - doubt theres any reason to trade down with how many spots weve already lost and how many 2nd/3rd round prospects we already have

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Why do I get the feeling we trade up in the draft? I wonder if ownership would rather trade up or trade out - doubt theres any reason to trade down with how many spots weve already lost and how many 2nd/3rd round prospects we already have

Because you're led by the whims of whatever you are thinking at the current time?

I can guarantee the analytics department is against trading up. Ray Shero never traded up - he traded back in 2015 in the 2nd round, he traded back in 2016 in the 1st round, he traded back in 2017 (in the late rounds), and he traded back in 2019. I don't think that philosophy is going anywhere.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Because you're led by the whims of whatever you are thinking at the current time?

I can guarantee the analytics department is against trading up. Ray Shero never traded up - he traded back in 2015 in the 2nd round, he traded back in 2016 in the 1st round, he traded back in 2017 (in the late rounds), and he traded back in 2019. I don't think that philosophy is going anywhere.

That said they probably wish they had been able to trade up in 2016 when the top ten went pretty much chalk, they didn't want to pick Chych and it left them stuck reaching for McLeod.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That said they probably wish they had been able to trade up in 2016 when the top ten went pretty much chalk, they didn't want to pick Chych and it left them stuck reaching for McLeod.

I'd be absolutely shocked if this is how they thought about the 2016 draft, nor was McLeod a reach.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019

Theres zero need to trade back now

There used to be a large need due to filling out the prospect pool. Now well have too many to give time to in the AHL soon

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Theres zero need to trade back now

There used to be a large need due to filling out the prospect pool. Now well have too many to give time to in the AHL soon

There's always a need to trade back because trading back is better, assuming it's a 'fair' trade back (i.e. for the prices that the market has largely agreed upon). The Devils don't have a pick in the 2nd round this year - I'd be all for a 2015 Leafs style trade back where the Devils pick up several extra selections along the way. The Devils might have too much in the AHL now but they only drafted 5 people in 2018 and it looks like they won't sign at least 2 of them, another one of them will likely be gone from the AHL next year - there will be spots for people in Binghamton (or wherever) in 3 years and that's what this year's draft is about.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
There's always a need to trade back because trading back is better, assuming it's a 'fair' trade back (i.e. for the prices that the market has largely agreed upon). The Devils don't have a pick in the 2nd round this year - I'd be all for a 2015 Leafs style trade back where the Devils pick up several extra selections along the way. The Devils might have too much in the AHL now but they only drafted 5 people in 2018 and it looks like they won't sign at least 2 of them, another one of them will likely be gone from the AHL next year - there will be spots for people in Binghamton (or wherever) in 3 years and that's what this year's draft is about.

It depends if you have a specific player you want to trade up for. For example, the trade-up we made for Parise.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm not against trading up but like ZBC said, the Devils really do not have the kind of picks that trade up. Most of the moves up and down for picks start to take place in the late 1st round and the Devils don't yet have a late first rounder and they don't have a 2nd round pick at all.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't if this has been brought up before but this Draft Simulator is really dope
draftsim

After using it to go through the draft about 50 times with the various slider options I can rest easy knowing we will be definitely be celebrating after the draft.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
we don't really have the extra picks to trade up

unless you're talking packaging the ARZ and VAN picks which I would not be for
There is a proposal on the main board with Nashville. Pick 11+ Pick 33 for Pick 18 + Pick 20.

I would do that deal. At Pick 11 we could draft Jack Quinn to go with who we draft at Pick 7 (Drsydale/Sanderson/Rossi/Holtz).

At Pick 33 we will still get a pretty good talent. There always a first round talent that falls to 2nd round.

Reactions: nugg

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
There is a proposal on the main board with Nashville. Pick 11+ Pick 33 for Pick 18 + Pick 20.

I would do that deal. At Pick 11 we could draft Jack Quinn to go with who we draft at Pick 7 (Drsydale/Sanderson/Rossi/Holtz).

At Pick 33 we will still get a pretty good talent. There always a first round talent that falls to 2nd round.

It would depend if Quinn is still on the board. It's a little bit of an overpay considering there are several RWs that are close to Quinn that should be available at 18. I like Quinn enough that I'd do it, but that's me.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i’d do it, and snag askarov at 11. walking out of the first round with sanderson/rossi and askarov would be f***ing huge.

Reactions: Tretyak 20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad