Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Also, it's crazy how much roster turnover there has been at forward in one year.

In November of this past year, Devils had Kalinin, Fiddler, Cammalleri, Josefson, Parenteau, Bennett, Smith-Pelly, and Boucher all in the lineup. That's 8! forwards who are all gone.

Henrique, Zajac, Zacha, Lappin are the only remaining forwards from this game. Palmieri and Hall didn't play.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
That must have been during that 8 game stretch where he scored 90% of his goals and almost half his points on the season.

Most likely right when he first came back. He came back hot and then vanished.

It was absolutely the right move to cut him loose. We need that LW spot for kids. Mojo basically replaced him and that is a huge upgrade.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Also, it's crazy how much roster turnover there has been at forward in one year.

In November of this past year, Devils had Kalinin, Fiddler, Cammalleri, Josefson, Parenteau, Bennett, Smith-Pelly, and Boucher all in the lineup. That's 8! forwards who are all gone.

Henrique, Zajac, Zacha, Lappin are the only remaining forwards from this game. Palmieri and Hall didn't play.

I think Zajac and Henrique are the only two forwards that were here during Lou's last year with us. It's amazing how much better our forwards look now than just a couple years ago.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was watching highlights of the game from October 2014 in Sunrise, which I attended. It was the Panthers first game of the season (I think?) and our second game of the season. It was also our only win in Sunrise since the 2012 playoffs. :cry:

I was laughing at all the geriatrics we had on that team. Most of them were real **** bags too, outside of Jagr. Clowe was still decent by the time he last played, though I'm pretty sure he would have grenaded by now, even if he were healthy and didn't have any concussions since then. Frickin Ruutu, Havlat, Clowe, Zubrus, Ryder. And a couple guys who were younger, that wound up flaming out. Like Eric Gelinas particularly and Damien Brunner (who didn't play that night). Ruutu and Havlat both scored in that game.

Every other shot seemed to be flying over Luongo in that 1st period.

Ryane Clowe scored in the 2nd and got Luongo yanked, that was his last ever career goal. I had to look up to see if he scored again that year, but he only had 1 goal.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ

8 factorial of forwards. That's a lot!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think Zajac and Henrique are the only two forwards that were here during Lou's last year with us. It's amazing how much better our forwards look now than just a couple years ago.

You don't count Blandisi(27), Quenneville(12), Wood(60), Zacha(70), Speers(3), Coleman(23) and Pietila(10)?

That's a 205 NHL games this past season.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Watching the replay of Devils Leafs from last season. Cammalleri just tied the game at 3, for his third point of the night. 1G 2A. I still do not understand why the Devils bought him out. It makes zero sense. He's gonna put up 45+ points for the Kings this season.

They bought him out because he was terrible in the 2nd half of the season and seemed unmotivated at times, made a lot of money, and because the Devils are already overloaded at LW.

you don't need to keep asking the question every other day.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Watching the replay of Devils Leafs from last season. Cammalleri just tied the game at 3, for his third point of the night. 1G 2A. I still do not understand why the Devils bought him out. It makes zero sense. He's gonna put up 45+ points for the Kings this season.

He won't play enough games to put up 45.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Because he couldn't do anything away from the puck and pretty much just drifted this whole season and even when he did have the puck he couldn't do anything with it because he played god awful. Have you completely forgotten that half of his points came in am 8 GAME STRETCH. He went on a 1 goal in 41 game stretch. That is half of he season with 1 GOAL! I don't know how anyone could defend that Cammalleri played even decent last year, because he just straight up sucked.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm not sure what this has to do with what I posted?

Maybe I misinterpreted something?

You said: "I think Zajac and Henrique are the only two forwards that were here during Lou's last year with us. "

All of the forwards I named were apart of the organization while Lou was still here.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Maybe I misinterpreted something?

You said: "I think Zajac and Henrique are the only two forwards that were here during Lou's last year with us. "

All of the forwards I named were apart of the organization while Lou was still here.

I was referring to forwards actually on the team that year, and Zacha and Speers were both drafted after Lou left, no?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Well Lou was here when they were drafted but shero was the gm

Only Speers and Zacha of the 8 forwards I named... and Conte was managing that draft ..That Draft(2015) was really Lou's and Conte's last. Yes Shero was here but the mass purge of the previous admin really begun after the draft.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Regardless, the record of NHL front offices is that they are collectively horrendous at knowing how age curves work and they're not great at evaluating players on exactly the margin Bennett exists on - being a flawed player with some strengths and some obvious weaknesses.

i'm trying to boil this pretentious argument down to the essentials. as a blanket statement, would you say that you are better than NHL GM's and front office staff at knowing how age curves work?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
DFL5Cp7XYAEwJix.jpg

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Only Speers and Zacha of the 8 forwards I named... and Conte was managing that draft ..That Draft(2015) was really Lou's and Conte's last. Yes Shero was here but the mass purge of the previous admin really begun after the draft.

That is true.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Just a time line, Shero was hired 53 days before the 2015 Draft.

Shero Hired May 4 2015
NHL Draft June 26-27 2015
David Conte Fired July 9 2015
Lou Lamorillo Hire by Toronto July 23 2015
Pual Castron Named Director of Ametuer Scouting July 31 2015

Looking at the that draft it is really unfortunate we weren't able to accumulate more picks...The first 3 picks are easily tops of our prospect list in Zacha(graduated), Blackwood and Speers...Unfortunately we had 5 picks that year. 3 out of 5 are very good prospects and the other two Colton White and Brett Seney are also decent for where they were picked...Seney is especially interesting, going into his senior he has led his Merrimack team each of his 3 years...That is impressive.

The last 3 years under Lou and Conte the Devils only had 16 picks...We had 11 this year alone and traded two more for Mueller.

Conte only had 11 picks in his final two years...Castron has had 20 picks in first two years...If there was a failure in Lou's final years with the Devils this was it, they never accumulated picks to restock properly...Of course there were circumstances to consider but this was a mistake.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Conte only had 11 picks in his final two years...Castron has had 20 picks in first two years...If there was a failure in Lou's final years with the Devils this was it, they never accumulated picks to restock properly...Of course there were circumstances to consider but this was a mistake.

i would agree that what you mentioned was a mistake, but sometimes that's out of the hands of the GM...takes two to trade, ya know? i think the biggest mistake is the controllable aspect- who we selected with those picks. the VAST majority of those picks by lou & co over the last 10 years of his regime were just god awful.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
i would agree that what you mentioned was a mistake, but sometimes that's out of the hands of the GM...takes two to trade, ya know? i think the biggest mistake is the controllable aspect- who we selected with those picks. the VAST majority of those picks by lou & co over the last 10 years of his regime were just god awful.

When you have fewer picks than there are rounds every single year that is a problem. You have to go back all the way to 2012 to find a Devil draft with 7 picks(aside from the last two)

And their last 10 years really haven't been that bad (I would even argue it was decent)... There was a contributor on this team from every single year going back 2008

Henrique 2008, Josefson 2009, Merrill 2010, Larsson/Hall, Coleman, Boucher, Pietila 2011, Severson 2012, Santini, Wood 2013, Quennville 2014, Zacha, Blackwood, Speers 2015....

Sure the talent might be less than we wanted or needed but imagine if we were adding that to Parise and Kovalchuk over the last 4 or 5 years. Or imagine if we actually got a return for Fayne, Clarkson, Parise, Kovalchuk and Martin instead of just losing them to free agency.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
When you have fewer picks than there are rounds every single year that is a problem. You have to go back all the way to 2012 to find a Devil draft with 7 picks(aside from the last two)

And their last 10 years really haven't been that bad (I would even argue it was decent)... There was a contributor on this team from every single year going back 2008

Henrique 2008, Josefson 2009, Merrill 2010, Larsson/Hall, Coleman, Boucher, Pietila 2011, Severson 2012, Santini, Wood 2013, Quennville 2014, Zacha, Blackwood, Speers 2015....

Sure the talent might be less than we wanted or needed but imagine if we were adding that to Parise and Kovalchuk over the last 4 or 5 years. Or imagine if we actually got a return for Fayne, Clarkson, Parise, Kovalchuk and Martin instead of just losing them to free agency.

Definitely did a subpar job letting guys leave as UFAs without any return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad