Devils 2016-17 team discussion (player news and notes) - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think a big part of that is our playing style. We're still structured defensively, but with the D pinching and all the extra speed we're clearly trying to push the pace. I'm not sure we ever played like this when Lou was here. It's fun!

I'm still trying to figure out if we're opening it up more and playing less conservative, or if the additions of Hall, Bennett, Auvitu and Parenteau are helping with possession and shots for, combined with the downgrade on defense leading to more shots against. Also Severson having a huge year so far and Zajac looking like the Parise era of Travis.

We may be allowing more shots for in the last however many years, but I can't remember us averaging over 30 shots for in the last long while either. Maybe the second season with Sutter?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
All these stats say we are worse this year.

We are hanging in because we are attacking more to offset the defense chances against. We are bending but not breaking with the quality of chances given up.

The defense is generating significantly more this season. More than they are giving up. That was the problem last season. We gave up a little and produced even less.

NJ is averaging 30.9 shots against per game but that is right in the middle of the league 16th.

Last season we were 8th in shots against but 30th in shots for. This season we are 16th shots against and 7th in shots for.

Last season we had a -4.2 shot differential, this year (so far) we are a positive .6.

There is no question our defense is aiding to this. There is no question that our top pairing last season contributed to a league low 24.4 shots for per game.

Last season we had a -2.4 goals for/against differential. This season we are a positive .29

Our punching bag top pairing was a big reason for a lot of that.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm still trying to figure out if we're opening it up more and playing less conservative, or if the additions of Hall, Bennett, Auvitu and Parenteau are helping with possession and shots for, combined with the downgrade on defense leading to more shots against. Also Severson having a huge year so far and Zajac looking like the Parise era of Travis.

We may be allowing more shots for in the last however many years, but I can't remember us averaging over 30 shots for in the last long while either. Maybe the second season with Sutter?

We definitely were not averaging this many shots this decade.

I imagine it is a lot different factors causing this uptick.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We definitely were not averaging this many shots this decade.

I imagine it is a lot different factors causing this uptick.

Hall is the #1 reason for sure. But the usage of the defense is also contributing to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad