Proposal: Detroit/Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
:edmonton
Michael Rasmussen

:wings
Dmitri Samorukov

Pretty simple idea for a trade, but my question is how close the value is.

Samorukov is still waiver exempt this season and is trending quite well as a shutdown type of Dman that can play both side of the ice effectively.

Rasmussen was signed to an extension this summer, but the numbers have plateaued and the likelihood of him becoming an effective scoring center in Detroit is a bit of a longshot now.

Thoughts?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Wings don’t do that. Ras hasn’t lived up to his draft pedigree but he’s proven to be a useful bottom 6 player. Samukorov looks like an ahl D atp. Plus wings farm system is already loaded with LD

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
"Samorukov is still waiver exempt this season and is trending quite well as a shutdown type of Dman that can play both side of the ice effectively." --- This is a massive need for the Oilers. Just described the exact type of player the team currently needs.

Don't see the point for either team. Isn't the Red wings weakest position at center? Edmonton's is goaltending and LD. Zero interest in this for the Oilers even though Detroit passes also.

McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, McLeod and soon Holloway. No need. Meanwhile our LD isn't good and we have Russell, KK and Keith. Not moving Samorukov or Broberg unless in a package to upgrade LD or finally get a 1A goalie.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
"Samorukov is still waiver exempt this season and is trending quite well as a shutdown type of Dman that can play both side of the ice effectively." --- This is a massive need for the Oilers. Just described the exact type of player the team currently needs.

Don't see the point for either team. Isn't the Red wings weakest position at center? Edmonton's is goaltending and LD. Zero interest in this for the Oilers even though Detroit passes also.

McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, McLeod and soon Holloway. No need. Meanwhile our LD isn't good and we have Russell, KK and Keith. Not moving Samorukov or Broberg unless in a package to upgrade LD or finally get a 1A goalie.
The problem is that it's a current need and Sammy's timeline may not jive with the needs of the team. He's also currently behind Niemelainen in the pecking order when it comes to winning that spot in camp next season when both become waiver eligible.

Samorukov still has a ton of potential, which is why I believe he'd bring a lot of value to certain teams. Rasmussen makes sense for Edmonton because he's got the size, defensive awareness and team control. All fit the current needs in Edmonton, where a big priority is improving the team's bottom six moving forward.

It's a tough read not knowing Detroit's situation though. They're at a point where you probably see a lot of movement up front trying to improve the weaknesses in their roster while the top end continues to improve through the amateur draft.

I do understand Detroit's hesitation though. Rasmussen is definitely a player.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
:edmonton
Michael Rasmussen

:wings
Dmitri Samorukov

Pretty simple idea for a trade, but my question is how close the value is.

Samorukov is still waiver exempt this season and is trending quite well as a shutdown type of Dman that can play both side of the ice effectively.

Rasmussen was signed to an extension this summer, but the numbers have plateaued and the likelihood of him becoming an effective scoring center in Detroit is a bit of a longshot now.

Thoughts?

I have to agree with my fellow Oiler fans on this one. That is a no go for Detroit. Also, why are we dealing a LHD prospect for a center? The Oilers hardly need centers at the moment now that Tippett has moved RNH to 3C.

I think Holland should be targeting an upgrade on the left side and a 1A goaltender. At least that is my immediate wish list.

Just curious, is Detroit desperate for LHD or something? This deal seems to favor the Oilers in terms of pure value (a guy actually IN the NHL as opposed to a guy who MIGHT be in the NHL soon)

Reactions: Hobnobs

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I have to agree with my fellow Oiler fans on this one. That is a no go for Detroit. Also, why are we dealing a LHD prospect for a center? The Oilers hardly need centers at the moment now that Tippett has moved RNH to 3C.

I think Holland should be targeting an upgrade on the left side and a 1A goaltender. At least that is my immediate wish list.

Just curious, is Detroit desperate for LHD or something? This deal seems to favor the Oilers in terms of pure value (a guy actually IN the NHL as opposed to a guy who MIGHT be in the NHL soon)

Nope. We need centers so the deal is really just a no go in every sort of way.

Reactions: TFHockey

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I don't think that there's a desperation from either side in terms of what's being offered. But I see Detroit's roster next season with just Jordan Oesterle signed for the left side. Edvinsson, Wallinder and McIsaac are all prominent prospects but are at least two seasons away in one or two cases.

I just see Rasmussen as a guy who is definitely a player at this point but has fallen remarkably short of expectations based on his draft position. And I feel he might get pinched next season if Detroit decides to invest in a 2C in free agency or they happen to win the lottery and end up with a Shane Wright or Logan Cooley in the mix. With

I posed this as more of a question than a proposal because I am aware there's a bit more value coming Edmonton's way.

From Edmonton's POV, it's more about maximizing the value of the assets they control--particularly while they are valuable.

In regards to the bottom six, I'm not sure anything there is permanent. But adding a 6'6 center with some defensive prowess is something a playoff-bound team might consider. And for a team in cap pinch, a 23 year old guy under team control for two more years is a pretty safe bet. Especially when reinforcements are a good 1-2 years away from making an significant impact.

That being said, it's probably a bit early to be making any kind of deal like this from Detroit's perspective considering the current depth at center. But with Suter, Rasmussen and Veleno behind Larkin, I think it's only a matter of time before Yzerman decides to upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad