Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] F Michael Brandsegg-Nygard signs ELC with the Red Wings (3 years, $975k AAV)

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
As with Stian Solberg signing with the Ducks, what's the hurry? Do NHL organizations believe they have to hang a entry-level contract carrot in front of these kids before they've played a single game in the highest European level to make them perform?

Reactions: lilidk

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
As with Stian Solberg signing with the Ducks, what's the hurry? Do NHL organizations believe they have to hang an entry-level contract carrot in front of these kids before they've played a single game in the highest European level to make them perform?
I mean both are first round picks really not a surprise to see both sign this early.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
As with Stian Solberg signing with the Ducks, what's the hurry? Do NHL organizations believe they have to hang a entry-level contract carrot in front of these kids before they've played a single game in the highest European level to make them perform?
Alternatively, if you know you want to sign a player, why wait?

Reactions: DamonDRW

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This “what’s the hurry” nonsense in every thread is just a meme response at this point, right?

Nobody actually believes these prospects are getting rushed into the NHL simply because they’ve signed an ELC, right? And people realize that contracts slide so no service time is lost, right? And nobody actually thinks somehow high draft picks playing in Europe should be treated differently than highly drafted kids in North America, right?

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
The deal with him is that he either has to sign a deal with Skeleftea and remain property of the Wings to be signed later, or he can sign with the Wings, get loaned to Skeleftea and slide his ELC. This could simply be a prelude to him being able to come right over to the AHL/NHL after his team's season is over and allows for the Wings to handle his Visa earlier. Could be some kind of complication where, because he's a Norwegian playing in the SHL that there are some awkward transfer agreements that the Wings didn't want to deal with. That would be a question for whoever is figuring out the contracts for Detroit. But maybe they also think he's closer to coming over than other players.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
As with Stian Solberg signing with the Ducks, what's the hurry? Do NHL organizations believe they have to hang an entry-level contract carrot in front of these kids before they've played a single game in the highest European level to make them perform?
I don’t think you know how prospect contracts work, this is how it is always done for a 1st round pick.

Why would they wait to sign him?

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
the YZER'FENCE continues to be woven tighter .
future ''fence line''
MBN-DANIELSON-KASPER
EDVINSON-SEIDER
COSSA

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!816807d1a01a43e838d22d28ade2f643.jpg

Reactions: lilidk

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Alternatively, if you know you want to sign a player, why wait?
I don’t think you know how prospect contracts work, this is how it is always done for a 1st round pick.

Why would they wait to sign him?
Who knows what could happen. He could have a career ending injury or an injury that completely changes the trajectory, he could have a really bad season and not be ready for high tier hockey. I don't think any of this will happen, and I sure as hell hope it doesn't since it's my team that he will play for next season.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The answer to the "what's the rush?" or "why now?" questions in July is that many teams hold prospect development camps at this time of the season. They have just had 7-10 days giving their kids a crash course in the team culture, systems, organization. At the same time, the players have been giving the amateur & pro development and senior management a view of what they can do on and off the ice, who they are as people, and generally making an impression as to what they are about as well. Some of these kids are going to head off in a few days to Europe or to more remote areas in North America and the teams may not see them in person for another year until next July's camp.

So a lot of teams take care of business now, in person, after the intensive period of mutual learning takes place at development camp. They do so because they have seen enough, and they do it before these prospects scatter to the winds for the year.

There are too many recent cases of players and teams that don't have good communication seeing their relationships deteriorate over time, sometimes simply because they don't see each other enough and get on the same page. So if you know you want him signed to paper already, you might as well make it official. The teams get certainty and the player usually comes away with a signing bonus.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Who knows what could happen. He could have a career ending injury or an injury that completely changes the trajectory, he could have a really bad season and not be ready for high tier hockey. I don't think any of this will happen, and I sure as hell hope it doesn't since it's my team that he will play for next season.

975k x 3 is small potatoes here.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I can't recall the last time we had this many first rounders sign ELCs this quickly.
Wonder if agents are pushing for it to get done now with the uncertainty of the CBA being up in a few years.

minimal

Apr 12, 2024
This has been done for years, come on now.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad