Confirmed Signing with Link: [DET] D Albert Johansson signs extension with the Red Wings (1 year, $775k, two-way)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Likely will start the season with DET. Not major news, but a young player who most likely makes his NHL debut this year.
Agreed. He is no longer waiver eligible and Yzerman is a fan of his ability. He was an injury away from being called up a couple of years ago, and I can't see the Wings losing him for nothing on waivers. Steady 3-4-5 kind of guy with decent offensive upside. A younger Gostisbhere comp.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Agreed. He is no longer waiver eligible and Yzerman is a fan of his ability. He was an injury away from being called up a couple of years ago, and I can't see the Wings losing him for nothing on waivers. Steady 3-4-5 kind of guy with decent offensive upside. A younger Gostisbhere comp.
Not in the slightest.

AlJo is more of a JJ Moser-esque not exceptional at anything but not bad at anything kind of guy. A steady guy to play next to a more dynamic guy. AlJo also has a lot of experience playing the right side. So that's shared with Ghost, but nothing else.

Reactions: HoweFan and wings95

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Not in the slightest.

AlJo is more of a JJ Moser-esque not exceptional at anything but not bad at anything kind of guy. A steady guy to play next to a more dynamic guy. AlJo also has a lot of experience playing the right side. So that's shared with Ghost, but nothing else.
Well...his time in the SHL sure made him look like he had the same offensive upside. And I'm pretty sure Yzerman said as much in his speaking of him in the past few years.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s gonna be a sneaky rookie next season. Don’t be surprised to see him play some with Mo Seider as well. And no, I’m not kidding.

The kid has wheels and his retrieval game is very, very good. He also processes the game at a high level. So he’s poised to be a very good role player in the league.

There’s some dmen who will look just as good (or better) in the NHL, as they did in the AHL. They do all the little things right AND “think the game” at a high level. They’re able to adapt to playing with more physically gifted players (in the NHL) because they are able to process the game quicker than players at lower levels AND they have NHL quickness and speed.

Think Nick Jensen. Best comparison I can think of.

That’s always been who he is. Doesn’t make many mistakes, but because he doesn’t have great offensive skills, he ends up bland at lower levels, other than his speed. His job is just too easy basically. Every year, very quietly, he’s always one of the best Dmen on his team. His quick feet help him continue to do this at every v next level.

The last half of the season and into the playoffs, Detroit had him playing the Right side as well with Grand Rapids. Likely setting up his role heading into camp, as he will be playing in the NHL next season.

He’s likely going to be the 6/7, splitting time on the right side with Petry, on their bottom pairing, as he grows into being a consistent NHL player. But like I said, don’t be surprised if you suddenly notice he’s paired with Seider. He’s the type of Dman Seider needs. Who’s a stay at home, just get the job done type, with speed enough to play against top talent.

Too many times on this site, especially with Dmen, fans think if someone’s not putting up a bunch of points at lower levels, they won’t succeed in the NHL. Yet every year, we see plenty of Dmen who didn’t light up the AHL, become really solid NHLers.. That’s likely who Albert Johansson is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad