Value of: Desmith or Murray to the Panthers

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
What would it take to get the Penguins to part ways with one their young goaltenders to FLA.

Not a chance for Murray. DeSmith maybe but Pens are not looking for futures and only trades would be for improving current roster. I think JR would want to keep both goalies. JR kept Fleury even though he had some good offers for him. It was a good thing to because we needed him for the first 2 rounds when Murray was hurt. Unless Pens have confidence that Jarry can be just as good backup I think Pens keeps both. No chance Murray gets dealt. I really believe he is untouchable.

For DeSmith it would depend on what was offered. Pens looking for a scoring threat LW and maybe an upgrade over Brassard at 3rd line center. I could see a package of Brassard or a defenseman included with DeSmith for an upgrade for one of those spots. Still think it is unlikely JR deals A goalie unless it is an overpayment. No chance Murray though. I don’t think the Pens could win a Cup without him. At the very least it would be much more difficult.

Florida has many attractive pieces that would fit the Pens needs but I don’t know if the right fit could make a deal. Of course someone like Hoffman would be a great fit for LW but DeSmith, and what else is the question. The other piece would be significant. Would need to be someone with some cap going the other way.

Last edited:

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
DeSmith prolly worth at most to a desperate team a 2nd. The pens are better off keeping both of them.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
The Pens need both. Murray has had a history of injuries and thrives with competition, and DeSmith has been great in relief.

Nothing realistic from the Panthers would make it worth breaking up the platoon.

I agree completely. Nothing realistic would work for the Pens. JR likes his depth and I can’t see him giving that up without an extreme overpayment. Murray is untouchable and I believe he is the key for another Cup. When healthy and on his game he is elite level. Problem is he is hurt often. Since coming back from injury he has been lights out good.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
keep both of them. Increasing goalie injuries make having two good goalies very valuable.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Both are playing fantastic for the Pens now and are the main reason why the Pens are rolling again. Murray is close to untouchable and DeSmith is very important too, because Murray has a history of injuries and the competition between these two is huge too. Also, DeSmith probably opened Murray´s eyes. Murray knows that he needs to play super well otherwise DeSmith might as well overtake his job as 1A. There is a beautiful healthy competition between the two now and it would take quite a lot to break something what is working.

That said, Florida has pieces, so I would respectfully listen what they would be willing to offer. It would not be cheap, that´s for sure.

Reactions: StroShow

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
JR won’t trade either. They are both playing great at the moment. De Smith has all year and Murray has been back in form lately. It would have to be a big overpayment from Florida for De Smith to the point where Florida would say no.

De Smith is a UFA but hopefully we lock him up before it gets to that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You could possibly get DeSmith as a UFA this summer. There's not a chance you'd be able to pull off Murray. The best goalie you could get somewhat easily from the Penguins is probably Jarry.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
DeSmith would be a possibility if the player coming back is right.
Jarry is NHL ready, but he doesn't have many games and will suffer the typical ups and downs

No way you'd get Matt Murray

Pitt is looking for a LW and a decent RHD

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
If I were the Panthers I'd be looking at Oscar Dansk, who might come cheaper and has shown well in his limited NHL time.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If you want DeSmith your best hope is that he leaves as a UFA wanting a starting job after this season, rather than be the 1B in a quasi-platoon. The Penguins certainly don't have any reason to trade him for what his trade value is at this point in time. Murray isn't going anywhere and isn't worth discussing.

Tristan Jarry would be the only plausible trade candidate...but even that's iffy, as he's the only other goalie under contract that would have any business being near the NHL if an injury happens (John Muse is the 4th goalie on an NHL contract and isn't exactly tearing the ECHL up at the age of 30).

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If you want DeSmith your best hope is that he leaves as a UFA wanting a starting job after this season, rather than be the 1B in a quasi-platoon. The Penguins certainly don't have any reason to trade him for what his trade value is at this point in time. Murray isn't going anywhere and isn't worth discussing.

Tristan Jarry would be the only plausible trade candidate...but even that's iffy, as he's the only other goalie under contract that would have any business being near the NHL if an injury happens (John Muse is the 4th goalie on an NHL contract and isn't exactly tearing the ECHL up at the age of 30).

Yep, if they trade Jarry then they have to get at least a capable AHL starter as part of the deal or in a separate deal. I think they'll hold onto Jarry then look to move him at the draft if they re-sign DeSmith.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad