Player Discussion Derrick Pouliot, Pt. II: Will not be qualified (again)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Completely disagree with the above, but to bring this back to Pouliot, the point I'm making is that Benning wouldn't have to spend so many of his own assets chasing a young offensive defenceman if Gillis hadn't whiffed on picks like Shinkaruk (over Theodore) or Gaunce (over Skjei).

Lol deflect deflect! Blaming Gillis for bennings inability to recognize talent if it hit him in the face....

Sbisa gudbransson Larsen clendenning Bartkowski pedan Holm Pouliot.

I'm sure Gillis was telling Benning to go out and acquire those terrible players right?

I love the mental gymnastics people have to go through to somehow convince themselves that Benning isn't an absolute moron.

Reactions: Hansen and Peter10

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, he essentially will need a Tanev-like partner every game otherwise his head goes into space when the game gets tough and tighter.
No Tanev needed but cannot be MDZ at his worst. It is amazing how many 2 on 1's Pouliot defends while his partner is caught up ice. It is rarely the other way around. To me he has shown a lot more than Stecher and Hutton offensively. While being a lot better than MDZ defensively. He has been the teams 3 rd best dman this year behind Tanev and Elder. However since those two are rarely in the same game he has had to be a top two dman. He is not a top two dman right now. As he is an average defender. The lack of development of Stecher and Hutton is the biggest disappointment of the year. They look like 5 or 6 dmen at best. Pouliot has more potential than them now. Would anyone here be happy to take a 4 th round pick for Hutton or Stecher? That is why this was a good trade.

Last edited:

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Completely disagree with the above, but to bring this back to Pouliot, the point I'm making is that Benning wouldn't have to spend so many of his own assets chasing a young offensive defenceman if Gillis hadn't whiffed on picks like Shinkaruk (over Theodore) or Gaunce (over Skjei).
Or had he kept Forsling or properly managed Trymakin.. but no its all Gillis lol

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Given that he traded Forsling the very next season it leads me to believe he had very little input in his selection.
Yep or he's just clueless and thought he was selling high on Forsling for the rockstar Clendening

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He did draft both Forsling and Tryamkin though.
Canucks scouts ran that part of the draft, Benning even said so. He arrived too late to change much about the scouting choices so he focused himself on the #6 pick. He let the existing scouts run the draft like normal, with the exception of changing the KHL flight risk rule. He probably new very little about Forsling and didn't like him after he drafted him and had time to evaluate him. Mostly a Gillis era draft + Tryamkin and Virtanen.

Benning's started changing things up the next couple of years. Same thing happened with the 2008 draft, Gillis arrived with enough time override the scouts on the 1st pick (Hodgson over Beach) but otherwise it was a Nonis draft from that point on as the new GM hadn't been their long enough.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Canucks scouts ran that part of the draft, Benning even said so. He arrived too late to change much about the scouting choices so he focused himself on the #6 pick. He let the existing scouts run the draft like normal, with the exception of changing the KHL flight risk rule. He probably new very little about Forsling and didn't like him after he drafted him and had time to evaluate him. Mostly a Gillis era draft + Tryamkin and Virtanen.

Benning's started changing things up the next couple of years. Same thing happened with the 2008 draft, Gillis arrived with enough time override the scouts on the 1st pick (Hodgson over Beach) but otherwise it was a Nonis draft from that point on as the new GM hadn't been their long enough.

It is so frustrating how this needs to be repeatedly explained.

Any of you work for a living? Have a new manager step in? Does he completely change everything on day 1? If you launch a project on his 3rd week that you had been working on for a year how much credit do you give him?

Benning certainly had some influence, namely as me2 said lifting Gillis's ban on Russian players; something that he has now re-evaluated post Tryamkin.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It is so frustrating how this needs to be repeatedly explained.

Any of you work for a living? Have a new manager step in? Does he completely change everything on day 1? If you launch a project on his 3rd week that you had been working on for a year how much credit do you give him?

Benning certainly had some influence, namely as me2 said lifting Gillis's ban on Russian players; something that he has now re-evaluated post Tryamkin.
I like to credit Aquilini with the Virtanen pick and the scouting staff for the rest of 2014 draft personally.

And the book isn't completely closed on The Tuna yet either.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I like to credit Aquilini with the Virtanen pick and the scouting staff for the rest of 2014 draft personally.

And the book isn't completely closed on The Tuna yet either.

I just can't see Aquilini pushing Benning around so easily that early, especially when Aquilini was getting heat from the press for being too involved. The guy was brought in for his scouting ability and I don't see the owner overriding Benning if Benning didn't want to take Virtanen. The owner pushing the scouts around, if there was no GM in place, maybe, but I don't see it with Benning. A case may have been put for Virtanen, local boy, good marketing etc but ultimately it'd be down to Benning.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I just can't see Aquilini pushing Benning around so easily that early, especially when Aquilini was getting heat from the press for being too involved. The guy was brought in for his scouting ability and I don't see the owner overriding Benning if Benning didn't want to take Virtanen. The owner pushing the scouts around, if there was no GM in place, maybe, but I don't see it with Benning. A case may have been put for Virtanen, local boy, good marketing etc but ultimately it'd be down to Benning.
I get the impression that's it's a three man management triumvirate with Aquilini making the final call.

My impression of the thing..

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I get the impression that's it's a three man management triumvirate with Aquilini making the final call.

My impression of the thing..
It probably is, sounds like aquaman got involved in the Hamhuis and Vrbata fiascos. I just don't see him that involved in the scouting that he'd override his new GM. I have a hard time seeing a guys that runs a business empire watching 100+ hours of childrens hockey to get enough of an idea to be confident in his opinion on this.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
It probably is, sounds like aquaman got involved in the Hamhuis and Vrbata fiascos. I just don't see him that involved in the scouting that he'd override his new GM. I have a hard time seeing a guys that runs a business empire watching 100+ hours of childrens hockey to get enough of an idea to be confident in his opinion on this.
I dunno man. My source tells me that Virtanen's dad is friends with Chris Oddleifson..

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Could you imagine Sbisa, Pouliot and Markstrom on the ice at the same time? Goalz Goalz Goalz!

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Ah yes, the myth that is Benning is the one that drafted Tryamkin. Awww, that's my favourite fairly tale.
Even if he did, whoop de f***ing do. It's not like this team actually gets the benefit of that pick or Forsling, is it? "Oh wow, what great draft picks that don't play for our team!" Like...this is really an argument for this clown to continue to be our GM? Really?

Anyway, back on topic. Pouliot still sucks. Always frustrating and predictable to see another Benning pet get tons of icetime in the hopes that a great player will magically appear...and have it not happen. Pro scouting...what's that?

Reactions: Krnuckfan

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Pouliot has been great, what are people talking about. When you're down 3-1 you have to take some chances, and he looked good doing it. When he wasn't up in the rush he's generally been one of our more solid defensemen and best outlet passer with Tanev out. Oh and he's a great skater, puck handler and aggressive in the corners. What more do people want? Consistent production on a team that can't score?

Reactions: Numba9 and Nomobo

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Pouliot has been great, what are people talking about. When you're down 3-1 you have to take some chances, and he looked good doing it. When he wasn't up in the rush he's generally been one of our more solid defensemen and best outlet passer with Tanev out. Oh and he's a great skater, puck handler and aggressive in the corners. What more do people want? Consistent production on a team that can't score?

Was working late a ton for a while, so I can't comment much on him aside from the last couple games, but he looked noticeably, really, very bad the past couple.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's been absolutely awful in December aside from one outlier game.

He was getting by in extremely sheltered #6 minutes with 75% o-zone starts in his first month here, but once that sheltering was removed he's been eviscerated.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I liked Pouliot's play so far but let's be fair - take a good look at the blueline Benning has assembled; is that really that much an accomplishment?
The blue line is the least of the problems.

Slow weak forwards that can't navigate through the neutral zone and drive any sustained pressure. Not only that but could you pick a worse group of players to close things out defensively.

Gagner horrid, Vanek horrid, Sedin's bad, Granlund weak, Burmistrov bad, Goldobin bad Dowd bad.

i'm pretty much at the point where Horvat Eriksson Baertschi Sutter Gaunce and Virtanen are the only one's i trust to even try or have any ability to cover for a pinching defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad