Depression: Lansberg & Wade Belak

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's right.

We operate under an umbrella with a service manager responsible for each region. The problem with Ontario's health care system is fragmentation. There are different providers for different needs and each provider can't contact the other without consent so the standard of care isn't a streamlined process.

There's also conflicts of interest with doctors recieving kickbacks from big pharma who have a vested interest to see this stuff on the streets.
We had merged everything into 1, but our current wacko is splitting it up into I believe 4 streams now, and yes it will create overhead and non-disclosure between health care providers and well, go back in time.

Also creates more opportunity for palm greasing.

!%&^*$(*&*$%$ ^#($#&*( $ ...

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I met Lansberg at a Raptor game once, gave him a nod and a hey, as I walked by, he looked at me like I had leprosy. I've done this to many famous people before and always got a courteous hi and nod back.

I then went to sit at my courtside seat which was better than his, he did a double take my way, as if he was shocked. I used to go to Raptor games on the regular, all the security and restaurants know me, I don't even dress up for it, most of the time shorts and t-shirt is fine by me as I just want to feel comfortable. Even Derozan when he was with the Raptors would nod and smirk my way when he was shooting around before the game, recognizing me as a committed fan.

Due to how he reacted, I always thought he was a prick, and remember Dana White roasting him as count Dracula, that always made me laugh. That said, maybe he wasn't mentally all there, maybe he thought I was going to pat him on the back and start talking about my cottage and family. Famous people don't really like to be touched, you can imagine how many people want to shake their hands and where that would go if they did so. I wasn't looking to make a buddy, nor did I extend my hand, just recognized him as the guy from TSN that did OTR.

I think depression is a mixed blessing, I feel a lot of it stems from what you derive your identity from. I have always seen it as life telling you that you need to make a change, you can dwell on it and do nothing... but don't expect it to go away, or take it as motivating factor to bring new experiences into your life. I think people in the past did not have time to be depressed, they had to get up when the sun came up, and work the fields, till the sun went down, then they were so tired that their mind had no choice but to fall asleep only to repeat the same the next day. These days people have so much spare time on their hands and many do not know how to use it productively, they drink or abuse substances or engage in counterproductive activities that take away from their self worth.

I have two little girls and the older one is super popular, and the younger one not so much, but she is crafty and has amazed me by how her brain works at such a young age. She gets picked on by her older sister and teased, and I tell her guess what the popular kids hardly ever become anything special, they are always seeking the approval of their peers, judging others, playing the popularity game... the best lesson you can learn, as a kid is to not follow the crowd... the earlier you can be fine with your unique outlook and be perfectly fine with it the sooner you will shine and attract others towards you. When I look back at those who succeeded when I was growing up, the moguls and the famous people were the loners. They were the people that stayed in their room putting in 10000 hours into making music, into their drawing, into computer programming... the cool popular people were always busy hanging out with each other, doing the easy thing, and sure some of them became real estate agents, lawyers, but most of them really did little to stand out. The freaks I read about in Forbes, or see fronting successful bands.

So please don't look at depression as some sort of hindrance, it actually may be a gift, telling you are not doing what you should be doing.

I was with you till the last sentence. Depression is not a negative or sad feeling about yourself, it is a repressive cloud that is a result of negative conditioning over a long long period of time or unbalanced chemical reaction in your brain. My mother suffers from / afflicted with clinical depression, she always had a short fuse and irrational responses to stress and negative stimuli, she was a contradiction, always looking for a fight but avoiding negative stimuli at the same time, knowing now what we didn't know when I was growing up, certainly connects a lot of dots for me about her behaviour. Depressive states are as bad as it gets for some people, there is a range of depression that a person can suffer from, it's never a gift. Wall flowers / loners are not necessarily depressed, they could be anything from perfectly normal to having some sort of medical condition.

The good thing for your youngest daughter is she is learning about shitty human behaviour, while being teased by your older daughter, she will use that knowledge later in life, she will be stronger for it. It will be part of her life tool survival kit.

Reactions: Cams

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That's right.

We operate under an umbrella with a service manager responsible for each region. The problem with Ontario's health care system is fragmentation. There are different providers for different needs and each provider can't contact the other without consent so the standard of care isn't a streamlined process.

There's also conflicts of interest with doctors recieving kickbacks from big pharma who have a vested interest to see this stuff on the streets.

Looks to me like they are decriminalizing more and more.

Harm reduction and rehabilitation costs less than prosecution and incriminalization with better results. But that also makes it more transparent. It just gets pushed down the social ladder by people who don't give a shit that make all the rules anyway.

It's always somebody else's poblem until it isn't.

...but does it though? For all the crimes that police refuse to enforce and the cost to home owners and businesses, is it really cheaper? A family member is a business owner downtown, a homeless person // addict destroyed over 20k worth of property. The police came, detained the guy, asked their questions and then let him go on the spot, when they were challenged why they were letting him go, the officer responded that there were more important cases in back log to go to trial. Just last week a coworker and his wife were followed and threatened to be stabbed by an addict at 8am in the morning... how is this acceptable? A few months ago I passed by a addict who was taking a s#it on the sidewalk (other side of road) at 830am on Main Street. Business owners downtown are saying people no longer want to come for dinner or shop because they fear being mugged or harassed because the system has broken down. is it really cheaper are we really getting better results? I think that the people who own the data are cooking the books to make it look like things are getting better. What my eyes see and what I'm being told , simply dont align.

It comes down to standards, what are the standards we want in society? A dude taking a dump on a sidewalk cant be what is considered reasonable in todays society?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
...but does it though? For all the crimes that police refuse to enforce and the cost to home owners and businesses, is it really cheaper? A family member is a business owner downtown, a homeless person // addict destroyed over 20k worth of property.

You can house entire families, and feed them, and educate them for less.

Hoping it goes away for free is probably the political approach.

no2ninja

Oct 22, 2023
I was with you till the last sentence. Depression is not a negative or sad feeling about yourself, it is a repressive cloud that is a result of negative conditioning over a long long period of time or unbalanced chemical reaction in your brain. My mother suffers from / afflicted with clinical depression, she always had a short fuse and irrational responses to stress and negative stimuli, she was a contradiction, always looking for a fight but avoiding negative stimuli at the same time, knowing now what we didn't know when I was growing up, certainly connects a lot of dots for me about her behaviour. Depressive states are as bad as it gets for some people, there is a range of depression that a person can suffer from, it's never a gift. Wall flowers / loners are not necessarily depressed, they could be anything from perfectly normal to having some sort of medical condition.

The good thing for your youngest daughter is she is learning about shitty human behaviour, while being teased by your older daughter, she will use that knowledge later in life, she will be stronger for it. It will be part of her life tool survival kit.

I agree with you Extreme Depression can be very unfortunate, and I did not mean to make light of it. I think most of us have been depressed at one time or another, and yes people self medicate those moments and dig themselves into a deeper trench. Alcohol is a perfect example of this.

I do think the extreme cases are very rare and probably more of a result of some sort of a chemical imbalance. The problem I see with those in my life who have had depression, and sought out psychologists, is that I often see them making the exact same mistake over and over again. Sometimes not taking responsibility for their own mental health, thinking that someone else will take their problems away. We can argue about how good the meds are, my uncle was on prozac for a long time, and like all chemicals, the brain eventually gets used to it... and when you get off those meds you are worse than when you started. He eventually took his own life.

That said, I remember him preaching to me giving me life advice, not being able to take any himself. He would talk about how he made sure to get the 1st floor in the apartment building because he hated being stuck on elevators with people. Then he would complain about how lonely he was. He would give me advice like, "Never marry an ugly woman, you will be stuck looking at her for the rest of your life.". The rest of my family avoided him, because he acted like he was an expert on life, while we all knew he avoided life like the plague.

This fear he had of talking to strangers, judging others by how they looked, was the same judgments he was left with when he looked at the mirror himself, and he wasn't going to win any beauty contests.

His doctor was so perplexed with his constant declarations that life is pointless, that he finally prescribed morphine for him.... well guess what, my cool uncle said that pills were making him feel funny, and he gave me his prescription. That started the 18 year old me on on another 20 year opioid addiction.

Some of these psychologists keep asking their patients to retell them their previous traumas, this method of therapy is now frowned upon as all you are asking for is the people to retraumatize themselves every time they retell their story, we will often make it worse with each retelling. Creating an identity and a victim mentality. The only person that profits is the psychologist who has you booked for years and years reminding you of your frailties.

The new approach is to do things to get past those moments, to instead substitute those patterns for positive memories, to forgive the transgressors and leave it in the past. You are not a victim, and your future can be a happy canvas of your own making.

I think like most professions, there is this huge lobby to preserve their own usefulness. What good is a psychologist that heals her patients, she now has to find new ones. What good is a prison that actually reforms the convicts? What good is a legal system that rehabilitates criminals instead of showing them the revolving door. A University Organic Chemistry professor asked his students "How many of you are here to find a cure for cancer?", many students raised their hands, and he replied to them sorry... that is not what you will do in this field, 99% of all jobs are about patenting and selling chemicals at a profit. Cures don't make money.

So with all the help that my uncle was getting from doctor after doctor, I can't say that any of it was much help to him... none of it seemed to help him have new outlook on life, or change his entrenched toxic opinions of others, it just seemed that they were booking him to bill OHIP. Giving him chemicals that found their way to his nephew. I am guilty for taking them, but if I knew what I know now... I don't think any of it made much progress with him. He was just a number in the system.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I agree with you Extreme Depression can be very unfortunate, and I did not mean to make light of it. I think most of us have been depressed at one time or another, and yes people self medicate those moments and dig themselves into a deeper trench. Alcohol is a perfect example of this.

I do think the extreme cases are very rare and probably more of a result of some sort of a chemical imbalance. The problem I see with those in my life who have had depression, and sought out psychologists, is that I often see them making the exact same mistake over and over again. Sometimes not taking responsibility for their own mental health, thinking that someone else will take their problems away. We can argue about how good the meds are, my uncle was on prozac for a long time, and like all chemicals, the brain eventually gets used to it... and when you get off those meds you are worse than when you started. He eventually took his own life.

That said, I remember him preaching to me giving me life advice, not being able to take any himself. He would talk about how he made sure to get the 1st floor in the apartment building because he hated being stuck on elevators with people. Then he would complain about how lonely he was. He would give me advice like, "Never marry an ugly woman, you will be stuck looking at her for the rest of your life.". The rest of my family avoided him, because he acted like he was an expert on life, while we all knew he avoided life like the plague.

This fear he had of talking to strangers, judging others by how they looked, was the same judgments he was left with when he looked at the mirror himself, and he wasn't going to win any beauty contests.

His doctor was so perplexed with his constant declarations that life is pointless, that he finally prescribed morphine for him.... well guess what, my cool uncle said that pills were making him feel funny, and he gave me his prescription. That started the 18 year old me on on another 20 year opioid addiction.

Some of these psychologists keep asking their patients to retell them their previous traumas, this method of therapy is now frowned upon as all you are asking for is the people to retraumatize themselves every time they retell their story, we will often make it worse with each retelling. Creating an identity and a victim mentality. The only person that profits is the psychologist who has you booked for years and years reminding you of your frailties.

The new approach is to do things to get past those moments, to instead substitute those patterns for positive memories, to forgive the transgressors and leave it in the past. You are not a victim, and your future can be a happy canvas of your own making.

I think like most professions, there is this huge lobby to preserve their own usefulness. What good is a psychologist that heals her patients, she now has to find new ones. What good is a prison that actually reforms the convicts? What good is a legal system that rehabilitates criminals instead of showing them the revolving door. A University Organic Chemistry professor asked his students "How many of you are here to find a cure for cancer?", many students raised their hands, and he replied to them sorry... that is not what you will do in this field, 99% of all jobs are about patenting and selling chemicals at a profit. Cures don't make money.

So with all the help that my uncle was getting from doctor after doctor, I can't say that any of it was much help to him... none of it seemed to help him have new outlook on life, or change his entrenched toxic opinions of others, it just seemed that they were booking him to bill OHIP. Giving him chemicals that found their way to his nephew. I am guilty for taking them, but if I knew what I know now... I don't think any of it made much progress with him. He was just a number in the system.

Everyone is different.

I think they're looking at LSD/Mushrooms as a way to "reset" that part of the brain.

Some people need meds.

I had meds for a while but I felt like a robot and couldn't sleep half the time with them in my system.

A lot of other external factors like stress, jobs, relationships (friends/family/romantic) - I would say I am cognizant of the fact I have it but 95% of the time I am fine but if certain things happen, I can be in a bad spot for a few hours or a couple of days but typically rebound, not debilitating like others. I think as I have gotten older, seasonal depression is a bitch.

All that is to say, again, everyone is different.

I'm not a professional by any means but if anyone on here ever needs someone to talk to, I am told I am a decent listener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad