Value of: Debrincat to the Hurricanes.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I've noticed the Canes have a shit ton of cap space going forward. I think Debrincat would fit well with their core. Would the Canes be interested in a trade involving their 1st obviously, some 2nd line winger replacement for Debrincat on the Sens, and a prospect sort of deal for Debrincat?

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Too small, we desperately need size and physicality up top, particularly in the wings. I know he plays a big game and is a feisty guy but we’ve already got a tiny dude in Jarvis. If he were 6’2/210 I would’ve put money down on this trade happening in the summer.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think the fit with DeBrincat and the Canes would be very good. We need scorers. However, I'm concerned that Cat is at a 24 goal pace after scoring at a 40 goal pace 3 of the past 4 seasons before this one. Goal scorers sometimes have all their highest scoring years in their early 20s. If Cat can score on the Canes, he would be 100% of what we need. We can easily fit his contract in next year, but possibly not the year thereafter. The Canes are one of the only teams in the league who can fit his caphit at his 1 year crazy high qualifying offer for next year, and that might be the smartest play as a one year rental.

I'm sure the Canes would be on the phone, but I'm not convinced they would be the ones to pay the best price to get DeBrincat if the Sens move on from him. The Canes haven't convinced me they won't just go after more reclamation projects. Why buy a DeBrincat when we can get 3 Puljujarvis for free? :sarcasm:

Edit - I realize the Sens have several minus players, but I also see DeBrincat is minus a billion (-27). Rod will make any forward play defense on this team, and that would probably depress his goal scoring potential here.

Last edited:

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
I think the fit with DeBrincat and the Canes would be very good. We need scorers. However, I'm concerned that Cat is at a 24 goal pace after scoring at a 40 goal pace 3 of the past 4 seasons before this one. Goal scorers sometimes have all their highest scoring years in their early 20s. If Cat can score on the Canes, he would be 100% of what we need. We can easily fit his contract in next year, but possibly not the year thereafter. The Canes are one of the only teams in the league who can fit his caphit at his 1 year crazy high qualifying offer for next year, and that might be the smartest play as a one year rental.

I'm sure the Canes would be on the phone, but I'm not convinced they would be the ones to pay the best price to get DeBrincat if the Sens move on from him. The Canes haven't convinced me they won't just go after more reclamation projects. Why buy a DeBrincat when we can get 3 Puljujarvis for free? :sarcasm:

Edit - I realize the Sens have several minus players, but I also see DeBrincat is minus a billion (-27). Rod will make any forward play defense on this team, and that would probably depress his goal scoring potential here.
DeBrincat plays defense, at least he did with the Blackhawks.

His goal scoring is down with the Senators for one simple reason. He doesn’t have Patrick Kane feeding him the puck. He doesn’t create his own offensive chances but is really good at finding open ice. If you have a playmaker that can get him the puck there, he has a quick release and a really good shot.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
To say the canes have a ton of cap room is deceiving. They have space this summer but in ‘24 they have a bunch of key guys to sign and the majority of them will be getting raises.

Anyway, considering the cost to acquire and extend him he certainly wouldn’t be my first target. The canes don’t need more small wingers.

Reactions: Tryamw

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Too small, we desperately need size and physicality up top, particularly in the wings. I know he plays a big game and is a feisty guy but we’ve already got a tiny dude in Jarvis. If he were 6’2/210 I would’ve put money down on this trade happening in the summer.
Canes need players who can score goals.

I already said they need to trade for Laine, but Canes fan disagree.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
As a one year rental perhaps? But imo the Sens would need to qualify Debrincat and retain 30-50% to get a first back. Without retention, that’s a very expensive rental.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Aren’t the Canes due for some high raises next offseason?

They’re better off offering Kane a high salary for a year than tying themselves down to a multi-year contract.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Big
Scores a lot
Reasonable contract / price tag

^ you can only pick two, Canes fans. If you want big AND scores, that's a bit of a unicorn player.

How about John Tavares @ 50% :) He looks much better on the wing.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Aren’t the Canes due for some high raises next offseason?

They’re better off offering Kane a high salary for a year than tying themselves down to a multi-year contract.

Summer of ‘24 they have Aho, Teravainen, Jarvis, Necas, Skjei and Pesce as top players hitting ufa. Slavin the summer after. It’s not entirely accurate to say they have a ton of cap space this year because most of it is already planned for future raises. It’s why the canes didn’t want to acquire anyone at the deadline signed beyond next season.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I’d think the Canes would be quite interested in DeBrincat if he were to be made available. They need scorers, regardless of size, and he’s still young enough to fit long term.

The Canes aren’t going to retain everyone needing new contracts and the end of next season. One or more of Aho, Pesce, Skjei, Teravainen, Jarvis and Necas will not be re-signed. Now, it’s most likely they do end up re-signing Aho, Necas, Jarvis and one of Skjei/Pesce.

DeBrincat fits, especially with the possibility of Svechnikov missing the beginning of next season. The stickler would be the $9M QO. He’s not getting that from CAR and he’d likely need to come with a palatable long term extension were the Canes to trade for him. The Canes certainly have the pieces…Morrow, all their 2023 picks, etc.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’d think the Canes would be quite interested in DeBrincat if he were to be made available. They need scorers, regardless of size, and he’s still young enough to fit long term.

The Canes aren’t going to retain everyone needing new contracts and the end of next season. One or more of Aho, Pesce, Skjei, Teravainen, Jarvis and Necas will not be re-signed. Now, it’s most likely they do end up re-signing Aho, Necas, Jarvis and one of Skjei/Pesce.

DeBrincat fits, especially with the possibility of Svechnikov missing the beginning of next season. The stickler would be the $9M QO. He’s not getting that from CAR and he’d likely need to come with a palatable long term extension were the Canes to trade for him. The Canes certainly have the pieces…Morrow, all their 2023 picks, etc.
Does Debrincat (contract) have that kind of value though? If he is coming with a 9 mil QO, would the Canes give up high end assets? I don’t think they would.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Does Debrincat (contract) have that kind of value though? If he is coming with a 9 mil QO, would the Canes give up high end assets? I don’t think they would.

I’m not saying the Canes would give up high end assets for him. I think they’d be looking at buying low for sure.

I do think they’d be interested in him, as long as he’s not coming with a $9M price tag, and they have the pieces (high-end or otherwise), cap space and need to acquire a player like him.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m not saying the Canes would give up high end assets for him. I think they’d be looking at buying low for sure.

I do think they’d be interested in him, as long as he’s not coming with a $9M price tag, and they have the pieces (high-end or otherwise), cap space and need to acquire a player like him.
What would the Canes likely give up to get Cat if he comes at 9 mil for one season? Or is that a no go for them? Player just not worth it?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What would the Canes likely give up to get Cat if he comes at 9 mil for one season? Or is that a no go for them? Player just not worth it?

I’d say the Canes wouldn’t have much interest in the player at $9M.

However, next year is an outlier in terms of them having oodles of cap space, so I won’t say the interest is zero. If they did ending up trading for him and he’s only signed for 1yr at $9M, I don’t think you’d like what they’d offer. I doubt it’d be much.

Reactions: Fatass

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I've noticed the Canes have a shit ton of cap space going forward. I think Debrincat would fit well with their core. Would the Canes be interested in a trade involving their 1st obviously, some 2nd line winger replacement for Debrincat on the Sens, and a prospect sort of deal for Debrincat?
You say "involving their 1st obviously"… I don’t think a 1st is necessary or even desired above roster pieces/ELC NHL ready prospects.

His goal scoring is down with the Senators for one simple reason. He doesn’t have Patrick Kane feeding him the puck. He doesn’t create his own offensive chances but is really good at finding open ice. If you have a playmaker that can get him the puck there, he has a quick release and a really good shot.
That’s not true at all and shows what happens when you comment without watching the games.

I have NEVER seen a Senators player miss more wide open shots, wide open nets, etc., as Debrincat this year. He has been the worst finisher in our top 6 and that is 100% his fault. He gets fed a ton and put in prime positions… he is just not executing.

He’s not struggling because he isn’t getting silver platter opportunities… he’s not a bad player, of course, but he has been BAD. He should have at least 30 goals right now.

He has been better defensively at ES than offensively, by far imo.

I am sure you know Debrincat very well… but you have NO clue what you are talking about here. Could not be more inaccurate.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I’d say the Canes wouldn’t have much interest in the player at $9M.

However, next year is an outlier in terms of them having oodles of cap space, so I won’t say the interest is zero. If they did ending up trading for him and he’s only signed for 1yr at $9M, I don’t think you’d like what they’d offer. I doubt it’d be much.
Agreed. Carolina gave up a 3rd, a goalie prospect, and Lorentz for Burns with SJ retaining 1/3.

Carolina gave up future considerations for Pacioretty and Coghlan. That was 0 retention for a $7M contract.

A DeBrincat trade would likely look more like the Burns deal, but Carolina could easily be outbid there. That said, if Ottawa wants to avoid retention that could be the best offer.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

So I am not sure this is totally it. He has simply missed more glorious chances than I can ever remember in sens history. He is really good at getting open he is terrible at finishing. He easily has 30 right now if he scored on a quarter of his chances. Maybe he is just having a bad year in this regard? Can you remember him struggling with finishing?

Agreed. Carolina gave up a 3rd, a goalie prospect, and Lorentz for Burns with SJ retaining 1/3.

Carolina gave up future considerations for Pacioretty and Coghlan. That was 0 retention for a $7M contract.

A DeBrincat trade would likely look more like the Burns deal, but Carolina could easily be outbid there. That said, if Ottawa wants to avoid retention that could be the best offer.
Debrincat is 25 those guys are in their late 30's i dont think thats the same thing at all.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

lol Paciorretty and Burns are in now way comparable to DeBrincat.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
lol Paciorretty and Burns are in now way comparable to DeBrincat.
Both Pacioretty and Burns had reduced trade interest because of their salaries that couldn't be fit on most teams.

This is where the concern for DeBrincat comes in. How many teams can fit his QO? And of those, how many want to rent him for a year given there is no guarantee he would sign long-term?

Put it together, and like Pacioretty and Burns Carolina may be able to get a lower price because they are one of the few contenders with a lot of cap space available for 23-24.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Both Pacioretty and Burns had reduced trade interest because of their salaries that couldn't be fit on most teams.

This is where the concern for DeBrincat comes in. How many teams can fit his QO? And of those, how many want to rent him for a year given there is no guarantee he would sign long-term?

Put it together, and like Pacioretty and Burns Carolina may be able to get a lower price because they are one of the few contenders with a lot of cap space available for 23-24.

Burns had reduced trade interest because he was 37, had 3 years left on his contract, was thought to be regressing, and had what amounts to a full NMC (which may have been used to block a trade to Ottawa funny enough). He's not a comparable whatsoever to a potential DeBrincat return.

Pacioretty was a different story. That was a case where teams did have trouble fitting in his full contract, as Vegas couldn't have money coming back. It limited his market tremendously and the Canes were smart to take advantage of them. It's also not a great comparable for DeBrincat, as the Sens will be able to take money back. In fact they may actually prefer having an NHLer or two coming back in the deal, as they aren't looking to rebuild and are trying to compete for the playoffs next year.

And obviously it can't be overstated that DeBrincat is 25 years old while those two are finishing their careers. Teams trading for DeBrincat will be hoping he can be a part of their team long-term. If a team like the Canes or the Wings are willing to bet on him re-discovering his finish and offer him a long-term deal right away for similar money to Fiala, I don't think the QO even becomes an issue.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
And obviously it can't be overstated that DeBrincat is 25 years old while those two are finishing their careers. Teams trading for DeBrincat will be hoping he can be a part of their team long-term. If a team like the Canes or the Wings are willing to bet on him re-discovering his finish and offer him a long-term deal right away for similar money to Fiala, I don't think the QO even becomes an issue.
I agree that if a team is willing to sign him immediately the QO isn't an issue. But does DeBrincat want to sign coming off this season, or does he want to try to rebound and test the market?

Signing a long-term deal coming off a step back in his stats might not be what he wants. Which brings us back to the question of can a team fit his QO?

I'd love to see what he could do with Teravainen and Burns; two players who excel at finding players with good passes. But I don't think Carolina is likely to lock DeBrincat up long-term before seeing him play in Brind'Amour's system..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad