Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I didn't like the Reinbacher pick, but D2 means a 2nd D, not a 2nd pairing D. Think Seabrook in the 2010s.
That's exactly what he meant. And like you said, Seabrook (to his Keith). His ceiling is to be a top pairing D, but realistically not on PP1.

So I think 35-40 ES pts, playing top 2 D minutes.

Reactions: Goldthorpe

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
1. When I watch Reinbacher I see a future first pair D that can play all situations, something like Bouwmeester - a rare combination of size, speed, agility, and puck abilities. He will be a workhorse in 2-3 years and he will still be 22-23.

2. If the Habs select Michkov, they don't get Demidov this year. There is no way HUGO would take 2 similar players to play on your top 6,

3. Fans in general have this obsession in evaluating every pick in a vacuum. Quick to admonish HUGO for selecting Reinbacher but the same maangement team also selcted Hutson with a late 2nd rounder. Same with Mesar - yes we might of reached with his selection but we got Beck an early 2nd. No management team will get every pick 100% right. This is just a general observation. Only time will tell if Reinbacher's selection was the correct one - but so far - nothing indicates that it isn't.
We wouldn’t want michkov and Demidov ? Lol. That’s like saying Anaheim wouldn’t want getzlaf Perry or Kariya Selanne , and all the other famous duos. For a franchise starved In the goal department since 94, I do not think anyone would mind a deadly Russian duo of those two kids. Anyways , see how it all plays out fingers crossed

Reactions: River Meadow

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I'm not expecting anything except to see... 'something', anything, from a guy drafted at 5OA. When I watch him, he to puts me to sleep.

We need to let him cook in the AHL for a good 2-3 yrs at minimum, I think.

You think D-men should be exciting to watch? You MAY see 1 D per draft year that can be described this way, maybe even less, and they're often not the top D drafted either.

Not every D pick will be Makar, Hughes or Hutson (hopefully).

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Why does he need a lot of AHL time? He is our 4th or 5th best defensive defender right now, ahead of Xhekaj and close to Struble. And defence is the main job of a defenceman. If you want him playing in Laval to develop more elite offence, then you are acknowledging high potential after all.
I do t see him ahead of Arbs or Struble at this point ? Based on what ?

Reactions: River Meadow

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
Looks like the David Reinbacher thread is going to have to go the way of the Juraj Slafkovsky thread - which is a toxic cesspool you don't go into because it's full of crying, hot takes and general stupidity.

He had a nervous first period as did pretty much the entire roster who didn't have extensive NHL experience.

The penalty kill goal was a miscommunication where he thought Struble had Tavares and he was shaded out to the one-timer threat on the dot. That's Xs and Os that gets ironed out in a season, nothing more than that.

After that, he showed exactly what he was drafted to do. Shut down the rush with his stick and skating. Defend the in-zone cycle with his skating and size. Get the puck, evade pressure and make quick, solid exits out of the zone and then support the attack with clever activations.

We just played NJ with Simon Nemec, a 2nd overall pick, and he was worse, with more experience, than Reinbacher was in this game. The Devils could have taken small scorer Logan Cooley instead.

Defenseman take longer to develop, so trying to make mountains of mole hills is just wanting to make yourself mad and miserable. Let the man develop, there's absolutely no need for him to be a first pairing defenseman TODAY.

The small scorers are almost ALWAYS ahead of the big defenseman. You guys have watched hockey long enough, you post about it on a message board, you must know by now that it's common knowledge that defense and goaltending have the longest run way of development to their upside.

Yes, some of the special talents like a Drew Doughty come in and do it earlier. No one has ever billed Reinbacher as a Drew Doughty. If that's what you thought they were getting, that's on you, and if things are failing to meet expectations you set by yourself, because of some weird "an X overall pick must be X" lie you tell yourself, that's on you, not on management and certainly not on the player.

Recalibrate. Chill out. He's going to be a very valuable piece to the rebuild and he is not going to be flashy about it.

I wish I could like this post twice. On point WTK.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
People need to realize that when the Habs picked Hutson they didn't know they were getting Fall 2024 Hutson. Had they known then what they know now they would've been picked waaaaaay earlier.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
We wouldn’t want michkov and Demidov ? Lol. That’s like saying Anaheim wouldn’t want getzlaf Perry or Kariya Selanne , and all the other famous duos. For a franchise starved In the goal department since 94, I do not think anyone would mind a deadly Russian duo of those two kids. Anyways , see how it all plays out fingers crossed
On a BPA at 5 in 2023, good money right now around the NHL is Michkov is the better pick.

However, I don’t think you can fit Demidov, Laine, a solid Top-4, and our Top line under the cap and then add Michkov for any period of time. We become the Leafs. Plus Michkov is said to have personality issues, I don’t think there’s room for Laine and Michkov in the same team. One recovery project is enough.

Reactions: Goldthorpe

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
You think D-men should be exciting to watch? You MAY see 1 D per draft year that can be described this way, maybe even less, and they're often not the top D drafted either.

Not every D pick will be Makar, Hughes or Hutson (hopefully).

Show me where I said the word 'exciting'.

On a BPA at 5 in 2023, good money right now around the NHL is Michkov is the better pick.

However, I don’t think you can fit Demidov, Laine, a solid Top-4, and our Top line under the cap and then add Michkov for any period of time. We become the Leafs. Plus Michkov is said to have personality issues, I don’t think there’s room for Laine and Michkov in the same team. One recovery project is enough.

Now do Ryan Leonard (and tbf, I don't even care about these, ohhh we should have drafted so and so, I rather just complain about who we drafted, but people do keep bringing it up so I'll engage)

Reactions: Habs

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

Now do Ryan Leonard (and tbf, I don't even care about these, ohhh we should have drafted so and so, I rather just complain about who we drafted, but people do keep bringing it up so I'll engage)
I need a lot more convincing that Leonard is clearly superior to Reinbacher. Michkov is another category.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
what did Anaheim win before getting two elite dmen

Reactions: WeThreeKings

junyab

Jan 22, 2013

Pretty sure "puts me to sleep" means boring and not exciting.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I do t see him ahead of Arbs or Struble at this point ? Based on what ?
Based on his ability to break up rushes, or snuff out a cycle, and send the puck back up ice in possession.

As evidence, in his 11 games with the Rocket, he had the best +/- on the team. His numbers were better than Xhekaj's with the Rocket, and very slightly better than Struble's.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Pretty sure "puts me to sleep" means boring and not exciting.

He puts me to sleep at times with how pedestrian and ordinary he looks, for a 5th OA pick.

Excitement has nothing to do with it and isn't the correct term for this context.

I care about competence over excitement.

I'll copy what I wrote in another post below:

"But most fans would like for our 5th OA pick to show us something and not look completely ordinary.

Not saying that means he won't be good... he likely will be in time, but it's quite underwhelming right now."

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
He puts me to sleep at times with how pedestrian and ordinary he looks, for a 5th OA pick.

Excitement has nothing to do with it and isn't the correct term for this context.

"But most fans would like for our 5th OA pick to show us something and not look completely ordinary.

Not saying that means he won't be good... he likely will be in time, but it's quite underwhelming right now."

What's your baseline for competence here?

Most 19 years old Dman from Europe are kind of a shitshow when they come over. Getting used to the NA brand of hockey, NHL ice size and NHL speed all at once isn't easy.

Ordinary is pretty good at this stage.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013

This has been explained in this thread ad nauseum and I already know I'm wasting time by addressing it but he's on track to be exactly what we thought he would be.

I was at last night's game and had my focus completely on Reinbacher, Hutson, and Barron. I have no idea how you guys can watch the game in the 2nd and 3rd periods and see anything but Reinbacher being a very promising defensive prospect.

He was great at taking away chances off the rush, we were watching the Leafs avoid trying him down his wing late in the game cause he was basically unbeatable. Off the cycle he was excellent, he cuts angles and takes away time and space at a very high level and there was plenty of opposing NHL talent out there to test him. There were a few times where he made a timid or bad pass on the breakout which resulted in a turnover but thats the difference in skill and speed when you're facing an NHL team. To judge him based on that when he hasn't ever seen such level of competition is absurd.

I hope you're not a football fan on a team forum because you'd be complaining about every single offensive lineman pick your team made. Those guys aren't exciting, however they are absolutely necessary to win anything at all. You can always tell who has no idea what they're talking about when fans complain about the o-line in football, those fans are also there for the 'entertainment'.

Nobody ever said every position is an exciting and flashy one, I don't understand this narrative and you guys are incessant with it. Some guys are the backbone on which the skill players can play off of, absolutely necessary ingredient for a winning team.

Reactions: Toene

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If we got a Pronger or Nieds with DR I’ll personally take you to any NHL game you want in Montreal and fluff your ballsack during the second and third period , out of the disrespect I have shown.
If the Flyers got Selanne or prime Karya with Michkov i'll manage to organzie a date between you and Jennifer Lawrence. Prime Karya did 42 goals and 101 points in the middle of the dead puck era. Selanne scored 51 and 52 goals right in the middle of the dead puck era. That's probably 60+ goals today and 120+ today. Michkov is very far from having accomplished those tasks.

• Haha

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
This has been explained in this thread ad nauseum and I already know I'm wasting time by addressing it but he's on track to be exactly what we thought he would be.

I was at last night's game and had my focus completely on Reinbacher, Hutson, and Barron. I have no idea how you guys can watch the game in the 2nd and 3rd periods and see anything but Reinbacher being a very promising defensive prospect.

He was great at taking away chances off the rush, we were watching the Leafs avoid trying him down his wing late in the game cause he was basically unbeatable. Off the cycle he was excellent, he cuts angles and takes away time and space at a very high level and there was plenty of opposing NHL talent out there to test him. There were a few times where he made a timid or bad pass on the breakout which resulted in a turnover but thats the difference in skill and speed when you're facing an NHL team. To judge him based on that when he hasn't ever seen such level of competition is absurd.

I hope you're not a football fan on a team forum because you'd be complaining about every single offensive lineman pick your team made. Those guys aren't exciting, however they are absolutely necessary to win anything at all. You can always tell who has no idea what they're talking about when fans complain about the o-line in football, those fans are also there for the 'entertainment'.

Nobody ever said every position is an exciting and flashy one, I don't understand this narrative and you guys are incessant with it. Some guys are the backbone on which the skill players can play off of, absolutely necessary ingredient for a winning team.

That's good, I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Is there an NHL comparable you can think of when it comes to Bustbacher?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
3 decades of mostly failed drafting and development PTSD is hard to move past and understandable fans will have reservations on trust til we start having success. Hopefully Slaf’s story is a turning point and Reinbacher can follow the same trajectory in the next 2 years.

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
That's good, I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Is there an NHL comparable you can think of when it comes to Bustbacher?

I'm still going with Pietrangelo, big rangy, good skating, no flashy puck skills but a decent shot. Hard to gain zone entries against, long stick against the cycle. I'm not convinced he'll ever have high-end puck skills, neither does Petro. I think he has a chance to be an even better breakout player than him though and he's every bit as good at shielding the puck with his body. He has an even wider frame and base than Pietrangelo does. I think that's the upside with the guy and I think he gets somewhere around there.

I'm way more interested in your comparable though.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I'm still going with Pietrangelo, big rangy, good skating, no flashy puck skills but a decent shot. Hard to gain zone entries against, long stick against the cycle. I'm not convinced he'll ever have high-end puck skills, neither does Petro. I think he has a chance to be an even better breakout player than him though and he's every bit as good at shielding the puck with his body. He has an even wider frame and base than Pietrangelo does. I think that's the upside with the guy and I think he gets somewhere around there.

I'm way more interested in your comparable though.

Nice, that sounds good.

I have no comparable for him yet tbh.

I think he might even surprise with offensive upside, but I also think he's gonna need a lot of time to sort his game out.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Comparing them to 4 Hall of Famers - yes that exactly what I intended.

Let me be clearer, given the current top 6 s - which already has two core players under 6 feet - I don't think Hugo wants to add a 5'10 player and Demidov. That would make for a very soft top 6.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
3 decades of mostly failed drafting and development PTSD is hard to move past and understandable fans will have reservations on trust til we start having success. Hopefully Slaf’s story is a turning point and Reinbacher can follow the same trajectory in the next 2 years.
Good comment and a great Strip Bar in Vegas

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad