Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not disputing any of that, just saying that I don't perceive him as having a very high ceiling.

I get what you're saying, and the sad reality is that defensemen like Reinbacher are such a rare commodity that you pretty much have to reach for them in order to get them on your team.
Heard an analogy the other day that I thought was perfect.

Reinbacher can be like that Offensive Tackle you draft in the 1st round that fans don't think is sexy.

But when he's Pro Bowl Left Tackle protecting the blindside of your franchise QB for 10 years...you finally understand, because those guys don't grow on trees.

you don't think they would rather have Draisaitle or Pastrnak? lol
They win a cup either way, but Tkachuk and Bennet were the real winning move anyways. They could fill Ekblad's role with a half dozen guys at the trade deadline
I'm sure the Florida Panthers are absolutely fine with how that draft unravelled and who they are toay.

The real life team building exercise that teams go through, is totally different than the fantasy one fans imagine.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
The reason why, every year, teams consistently draft defensemen that appear less skilled or sexy than available forwards ISN'T because scouts are dumbasses and collectively make this mistake again and again. I know it's tempting to believe so, but it's just not the case.

The scouts are mostly about as right as the fans, they blow a ton of picks. They miss the hidden gems all the time, and are the same ones that had Falloon, Daigle, Nolan Patrick, Zadina, Wahlstrom, Kakko, Turcotte. ( to name a few) ranked so highly.

Kudos to Kent and the crew for taking Hutson, finding other hidden gems.. but the kid needs a lot of AHL time, something you don't hope for with your top pick.

I'm sure the Florida Panthers are absolutely fine with how that draft unravelled and who they are toay.

The real life team building exercise that teams go through, is totally different than the fantasy one fans imagine.

I think a sniper sells a lot more tickets and merch than Ekblad and gets you to the same spot for a cup run. What's a harder void to fill? A shutown 30pt dman, or a 100pt top player in the NHL? Sure they will tell you they are thrilled with Ekblad, but they don't win a cup without that Tkachuk trade regardless.

Reactions: River Meadow

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think a sniper sells a lot more tickets and merch than Ekblad and gets you to the same spot for a cup run. What's a harder void to fill? A shutown 30pt dman, or a 100pt top player in the NHL? Sure they will tell you they are thrilled with Ekblad, but they don't win a cup without that Tkachuk trade regardless.
Exactly lol kind of the whole point...you're focused on one specific area of player procurement when specific players can be acquired through trades, or free agency, in addition to the draft.

Doesn't change the point I made...

Reactions: WeThreeKings

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Sometimes to build a winning team, we need to draft the not "sexy pick". Sometimes to win in playoffs, we need great bottom 6 to score very important goal.

Sometimes, a D like Reinbacher will help more than a offensive elite talent guy in playoff, sometimes team need a D like Reinbacher to play with a D like Lane Hutson.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The scouts are mostly about as right as the fans, they blow a ton of picks. They miss the hidden gems all the time, and are the same ones that had Falloon, Daigle, Nolan Patrick, Zadina, Wahlstrom, Kakko, Turcotte. ( to name a few) ranked so highly.

Kudos to Kent and the crew for taking Hutson, finding other hidden gems.. but the kid needs a lot of AHL time, something you don't hope for with your top pick.
I could swear Seider spent more than 2/3 of a season in AHL…

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Exactly lol kind of the whole point...you're focused on one specific area of player procurement when specific players can be acquired through trades, or free agency, in addition to the draft.

Doesn't change the point I made...

I know what you are saying, I don't entirely disagree. I'm just saying take the BPA and never draft by position. If Kent legit thought Reinbacher was the BPA, and the scouts did, I would question the draft decision making that year. They got it right with Demidov and so many others, I just don't see anything yet with this kid. If I'm wrong, I'll eat it

I could swear Seider spent more than 2/3 of a season in AHL…

Possibly, and wouldn't that be amazing if he DR was that good...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I know what you are saying, I don't entirely disagree. I'm just saying take the BPA and never draft by position. If Kent legit thought Reinbacher was the BPA, and the scouts did, I would question the draft decision making that year. They got it right with Demidov and so many others, I just don't see anything yet with this kid. If I'm wrong, I'll eat it
Ugghhh so sick of this BPA term lol the Montreal Canadiena picked Reinbacher where they did because they thought he was the best player available.

Every pick every team makes they make it because they think they're drafting the best player available to them at the time.

But “BPA” in today's NHL, can't be separated from the team building aspect. Players are expected to contribute alot sooner now.

They thought DR would fit better in that context

Time will tell

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I know what you are saying, I don't entirely disagree. I'm just saying take the BPA and never draft by position.
"Never draft by position" is what you and I and most people around here believed 20 years ago when we joined that discussion board. But I feel the NHL has changed since then. Prospects are more ready than before and play in the NHL sooner than before. And the cap have made trading players around to make your lineup more difficult, so it has become more important to actually taylor your draft on your franchise needs (up to a point).

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Ugghhh so sick of this BPA term lol the Montreal Canadiena picked Reinbacher where they did because they thought he was the best player available.

Every pick every team makes they make it because they think they're drafting the best player available to them at the time.

But “BPA” in today's NHL, can't be separated from the team building aspect. Players are expected to contribute alot sooner now.

Time will tell

I disagree I think they tried to fill a void and not go BPA. I agree with most of what you say though, so it's all good. Nothing wrong with the back and fourth banter, we will never change each other's minds lol

Reactions: 417

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I want our #5 overall to play like the guy we drafted at #62 overall, is that too much? It just doesn't look like the tools are there? I realize he's young but I'm not seeing it, and people are applauding the most basic defensive moves. 'Did you see the way he closed the gap!!!!!' I mean come on, they teach that in Bantom. We seem to be reaching for compliments and accolades.
Not fair. Yes they tell people to close the gap as a D starting in PeeWee even, but how well does each player execute that? David does it better than most anyone his age.

As for demanding Reinbacher to play like Hutson, that is completely off base. Different players. Was Jacob deBrusk a big disappointment for Boston at 14-OA because he did not "play like the guy they drafted 45th" i.e. Patrice Bergeron?

Last edited:

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
"Never draft by position" is what you and I and most people around here believed 20 years ago when we joined that discussion board. But I feel the NHL has changed since then. Prospects are more ready than before and play in the NHL sooner than before. And the cap have made trading players around to make your lineup more difficult, so it has become more important to actually taylor your draft on your franchise needs (up to a point).

If two players are so close in calibre, I would draft by need no doubt. I just really thought Leonard or 'that other guy' would have been great for the rebuild since there were so many great D available this season.

As for demanding Reinbacher to play like Hutson, that is completely off base. Different players. Was Jacob deBrusk a big disappoinbtment for Boston at 14-OA because he did not "play like the guy they drafted 45th" i.e. Patrice Bergeron?

Everyone is slugging themselves in the nuts for missing out on Bergeron lol

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Why does he need a lot of AHL time? He is our 4th or 5th best defensive defender right now, ahead of Xhekaj and close to Struble. And defence is the main job of a defenceman. If you want him playing in Laval to develop more elite offence, then you are acknowledging high potential after all.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I disagree I think they tried to fill a void and not go BPA. I agree with most of what you say though, so it's all good. Nothing wrong with the back and fourth banter, we will never change each other's minds lol
Should listen to latest Spittin Chicklets interview w Verbeek and how he evaluates BPA at a draft position, and how that translated to Sennecke selection…

It’s clear as day Michkov the player did not align w what Mtl Canadiens hockey ops views as key essentials for BPA

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not expecting anything except to see... 'something', anything, from a guy drafted at 5OA. When I watch him, he to puts me to sleep.

We need to let him cook in the AHL for a good 2-3 yrs at minimum, I think.

OK then watch his game and notice what he does.. which is shut down rushes with his skating and reach. Kill cycles with his skating and his size. Get the puck, evade pressure, find a quick outlet and move things forward.

Yes, he will put you to sleep. He wasn't drafted to be someone to get you out of the seat. It's exactly what 417 said, we drafted the offensive tackle. It's not sexy. No fan wants to see that guy go top 10 in the NFL draft but they are instrumental to success because they allow the skill players to do what they need to do to win.

Reinbacher does the dirty work and ensures we spend less time defending and more time with the puck on the stick of Suzuki, Demidov et al.

That's what he does. He's never going to excite you. He never, ever will. They never said he would.

I want our #5 overall to play like the guy we drafted at #62 overall, is that too much? It just doesn't look like the tools are there? I realize he's young but I'm not seeing it, and people are applauding the most basic defensive moves. 'Did you see the way he closed the gap!!!!!' I mean come on, they teach that in Bantom. We seem to be reaching for compliments and accolades.

Yes, it is too much. He wasn't drafted to be that. You have an idea of what a 5th overall defenseman is supposed to be in terms of the archetype you think is valuable for that pick. That's not what was actually on the table and what they were looking to draft.

They drafted the guy who goes with Hutson to allow Hutson to be special offensively without taking too much away at the other end of the ice.

Weber was a Norris threat his entire career doing the details you are saying they teach in bantam. High quality defending and getting out of our zone quickly and smartly is a high value proposition even if it isn't appealing to the eye.

Time will tell

I can't believe we are still talking about this, too.

Philly tried to get pick #5 to pick.. Reinbacher.
Arizona wanted Reinbacher.
Nashville stopped trying to trade up the second Reinbacher was off the board.

Reinbacher was the next man up in that draft.. and if we don't believe it then literally look at the other drafts.

Nemec went 2 over Cooley and Wright. Nemec was never projected to go that high. Nemec is another defender with a bit more offensive ability than Reinbacher but is not sexy and is not nearly as big or defensively polished.

Chicago faced with the choice of getting a top line skilled russian winger to pair with Bedard, went with Levshunov.

Right shot defenseman are valuable. They just are. The good ones are rare.

Reinbacher was the BPA for most of the league due to the qualities he possesses and how it contributes to winning hockey.

I'm sorry so many people think every top 5 pick has to play like Cale Makar but that isn't what they were looking to do or acquire. They wanted the shut down defenseman who has enough offense to keep things going for the skill on the team.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I'm not expecting anything except to see... 'something', anything, from a guy drafted at 5OA. When I watch him, he to puts me to sleep.

We need to let him cook in the AHL for a good 2-3 yrs at minimum, I think.
Is this a serious post? A pick is not there to entertain you, it’s supposed to represent a key piece of the team building puzzle.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
OK then watch his game and notice what he does.. which is shut down rushes with his skating and reach. Kill cycles with his skating and his size. Get the puck, evade pressure, find a quick outlet and move things forward.

Yes, he will put you to sleep. He wasn't drafted to be someone to get you out of the seat. It's exactly what 417 said, we drafted the offensive tackle. It's not sexy. No fan wants to see that guy go top 10 in the NFL draft but they are instrumental to success because they allow the skill players to do what they need to do to win.

Reinbacher does the dirty work and ensures we spend less time defending and more time with the puck on the stick of Suzuki, Demidov et al.

That's what he does. He's never going to excite you. He never, ever will. They never said he would.

Yes, it is too much. He wasn't drafted to be that. You have an idea of what a 5th overall defenseman is supposed to be in terms of the archetype you think is valuable for that pick. That's not what was actually on the table and what they were looking to draft.

They drafted the guy who goes with Hutson to allow Hutson to be special offensively without taking too much away at the other end of the ice.

Weber was a Norris threat his entire career doing the details you are saying they teach in bantam. High quality defending and getting out of our zone quickly and smartly is a high value proposition even if it isn't appealing to the eye.

I can't believe we are still talking about this, too.

Philly tried to get pick #5 to pick.. Reinbacher.
Arizona wanted Reinbacher.
Nashville stopped trying to trade up the second Reinbacher was off the board.

Reinbacher was the next man up in that draft.. and if we don't believe it then literally look at the other drafts.

Nemec went 2 over Cooley and Wright. Nemec was never projected to go that high. Nemec is another defender with a bit more offensive ability than Reinbacher but is not sexy and is not nearly as big or defensively polished.

Chicago faced with the choice of getting a top line skilled russian winger to pair with Bedard, went with Levshunov.

Right shot defenseman are valuable. They just are. The good ones are rare.

Reinbacher was the BPA for most of the league due to the qualities he possesses and how it contributes to winning hockey.

I'm sorry so many people think every top 5 pick has to play like Cale Makar but that isn't what they were looking to do or acquire. They wanted the shut down defenseman who has enough offense to keep things going for the skill of the team.
Agreed and nor was a Makar type available.

It's unfortunate that there a segment of this fanbase that by some weird occurrence, developed a Michkov fetish and will never give this kid a fair chance.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
The other thing is that trade value is so poor for wingers who aren't absolute superstars. Prime Kessel went for a bunch of crap, basically the same return as 32 year old Toffoli. Prime Hall went for Larsson, and Toronto has been kicking tires on Nylander for the top pair D they're missing for years and years and haven't been able to get any offers that aren't obvious downgrades. Buffalo just traded Savoie who they took 9th overall for Ryan McLeod too. It's just so hard to not get totally ripped off when everyone knows you're trading a surplus winger.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Possibly, and wouldn't that be amazing if he DR was that good...
That’s what they did, they took the best player available on their list….not McKenzie’s, not HF’s, not yours, theirs.

Why would you question their decision making because they thought DR was the best player, they did brainstorming for hours between 14 scouts, a VP and a GM….?

Pulling the curtain on who’s the best player won’t happen for years, questioning why they thought the consensus top D in the draft was worthy of a top 5 pick over a Russian who had no exposure to the west comes across as a reckless and risky conclusion on who’s the best player.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
1. When I watch Reinbacher I see a future first pair D that can play all situations, something like Bouwmeester - a rare combination of size, speed, agility, and puck abilities. He will be a workhorse in 2-3 years and he will still be 22-23.

2. If the Habs select Michkov, they don't get Demidov this year. There is no way HUGO would take 2 similar players to play on your top 6,

3. Fans in general have this obsession in evaluating every pick in a vacuum. Quick to admonish HUGO for selecting Reinbacher but the same maangement team also selcted Hutson with a late 2nd rounder. Same with Mesar - yes we might of reached with his selection but we got Beck an early 2nd. No management team will get every pick 100% right. This is just a general observation. Only time will tell if Reinbacher's selection was the correct one - but so far - nothing indicates that it isn't.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
1. When I watch Reinbacher I see a future first pair D that can play all situations, something like Bouwmeester - a rare combination of size, speed, agility, and puck abilities. He will be a workhorse in 2-3 years and he will still be 22-23.

2. If the Habs select Michkov, they don't get Demidov this year. There is no way HUGO would take 2 similar players to play on your top 6,

3. Fans in general have this obsession in evaluating every pick in a vacuum. Quick to admonish HUGO for selecting Reinbacher but the same maangement team also selcted Hutson with a late 2nd rounder. Same with Mesar - yes we might of reached with his selection but we got Beck an early 2nd. No management team will get every pick 100% right. This is just a general observation. Only time will tell if Reinbacher's selection was the correct one - but so far - nothing indicates that it isn't.

If some people had it their way our top 6 wingers would be Michkov-Demidov-Firkus-Caufield

That's fun for the regular season but you can't win with that in the playoffs.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That’s what they did, they took the best player available on their list….not McKenzie’s, not HF’s, not yours, theirs.

Why would you question their decision making because they thought DR was the best player, they did brainstorming for hours between 14 scouts, a VP and a GM….?

Pulling the curtain on who’s the best player won’t happen for years, questioning why they thought the consensus top D in the draft was worthy of a top 5 pick over a Russian who had no exposure to the west comes across as a reckless and risky conclusion on who’s the best player.
There also exists a world where Michkov (man this kid annoy TF out of me and through no fault of his own lol) is an excellent player and the Habs are still happy they selected Reinbacher

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There also exists a world where Michkov (man this kid annoy TF out of me and through no fault of his own lol) is an excellent player and the Habs are still happy they selected Reinbacher

I think both teams are going to get exactly what they wanted out of it.

I'm happy for Philly, they've had no talent forever up front and Michkov gives them that.

We got the perfect complement for Hutson and a year later got Demidov, who may or may not score more points than Michkov but represents the player archetype we needed more between the two.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Should listen to latest Spittin Chicklets interview w Verbeek and how he evaluates BPA at a draft position, and how that translated to Sennecke selection…

It’s clear as day Michkov the player did not align w what Mtl Canadiens hockey ops views as key essentials for BPA
I wanted Leonard for plan b but what’s done is done

20 years of shitposting on HF makes me qualified sir

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad