Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I didn't like the Reinbacher pick, but D2 means a 2nd D, not a 2nd pairing D. Think Seabrook in the 2010s.

I'm personally yet to come away from watching a Reinbacher game thinking he can be a 1st pairing defenseman. I think he'll be great at defending on the rush, and pretty good at in-zone defense, but I don't see the breakout machine that people seem to be touting him as.

He panics with the puck a bit too often, misses short passes, and loses it while handling it a bit too much for my taste.

I think he'll still be a perfect partner for Hutson, since he'll have the majority of the puck-carrying responsibilities on the pairing.

I think anyone hoping for Pietrangelo-upside is going to be sorely disappointed. We reached for needs, because a big, rangy, raw shutdown RD is a pretty rare and valuable commodity, and we didn't have anyone like him in our pool. Maybe he adds another gear to his game, or has an exponential development curve over the next couple years, but I really don't see him having top pairing upside, let alone number 1 upside.

Pffftttt yeah right.

Who really cares about what feelings a prospect gives you, whether he does something that shows you something or overwhelms you is completely irrelevant.

He showed me some good things last night, but for you it was different....who cares.

All that matters is he continues to gain experience and round out his game. If you're expecting him to give you warm and fuzzy feelings when he plays, then you're never going to be satisfied with the pick because that's just not who he is.

But then again, neither was Alex Pietrangelo...he turned out alright (not comparing him to DR).
Pietrangelo wasn't flashy or spectacular but he was an excellent puck-mover. If Reinbacher ever tops Pietrangelo's rookie season point totals (43) in a season I'll be (very) pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: mdk

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

200w.gif

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I didn't like the Reinbacher pick, but D2 means a 2nd D, not a 2nd pairing D. Think Seabrook in the 2010s.

I'm personally yet to come away from watching a Reinbacher game thinking he can be a 1st pairing defenseman. I think he'll be great at defending on the rush, and pretty good at in-zone defense, but I don't see the breakout machine that people seem to be touting him as.

He panics with the puck a bit too often, misses short passes, and loses it while handling it a bit too much for my taste.

I think he'll still be a perfect partner for Hutson, since he'll have the majority of the puck-carrying responsibilities on the pairing.

I think anyone hoping for Pietrangelo-upside is going to be sorely disappointed. We reached for needs, because a big, rangy, raw shutdown RD is a pretty rare and valuable commodity, and we didn't have anyone like him in our pool. Maybe he adds another gear to his game, or has an exponential development curve over the next couple years, but I really don't see him having top pairing upside, let alone number 1 upside.

Pietrangelo wasn't flashy or spectacular but he was an excellent puck-mover. If Reinbacher ever tops Pietrangelo's rookie season point totals (43) in a season I'll be (very) pleasantly surprised.
In 2014 the Florida Panthers picked Aaron Ekblad 1st overall...a few players picked after Ekblad include names like: Leon Draisaitl, Sam Reinhart, David Pastrnak, William Nylander, Dylan Larkin, Brayden Point.

In a vacuum, everyone would take any of those players before Aaron Ekblad.

But somehow, Aaron Ekblad patrols the Florida Panther's top pairing and is coming off a Stanley Cup. He's never recorded more than 41 points in any season.

In an alternate universe, perhaps the Panthers draft Draisaitl...but for now, I don't think they regret that decision whatsoever. There's a lot that goes into building a team.

David Reinbacher doesn't need to be a better player than Matvei Michkov or Ryan Leonard or anyone else from that pick, he just needs to be a valuable player for the Montreal Canadiens and to fit in somewhere as an important player.

All the rest is just fan chatter.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
In 2014 the Florida Panthers picked Aaron Ekblad 1st overall...a few players picked after Ekblad include names like: Leon Draisaitl, Sam Reinhart, David Pastrnak, William Nylander, Dylan Larkin, Brayden Point.

But somehow, Aaron Ekblad patrols the Florida Panther's top pairing and is coming off a Stanley Cup. He's never recorded more than 41 points in any season.

In an alternate universe, perhaps the Panthers draft Draisaitl...but for now, I don't think they regret that decision whatsoever. There's a lot that goes into building a team.

David Reinbacher doesn't need to be a better player than Matvei Michkov or Ryan Leonard or anyone else from that pick, he just needs to be a valuable player for the Montreal Canadiens and to fit in somewhere as an important player.

I mean Ekblad is a good defenseman, but the MVP of that blueline was a waivers pick up. I still think Reinbacher will be valuable, especially as a stabilizer for Hutson's game, but I don't think he'll be a number 1, or even top pairing defenseman.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I mean Ekblad is a good defenseman, but the MVP of that blueline was a waivers pick up. I still think Reinbacher will be valuable, especially as a stabilizer for Hutson's game, but I don't think he'll be a number 1, or even top pairing defenseman.
Like i asked another poster : What is a top pairing D for you??

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sure and that just reinforces my point that no one cares that Ekblad was drafted 1st overall and there are MUCH better players behind him. As you mentioned, their best Dman was picked up off waivers and now forms an excellent first pair with Ekblad.

That's all that matters...people obsess over draft position, once they're drafted it doesn't matter anymore, all that matters is the value you bring to the team that drafted you.

Not who you are as a player vs other players drafted before or after you...that's just fan chatter and bragging rights.

Whether you want to qualify what he'll be as a Number #1 or top pairing Dman or top 4 Dman...these are just labels, they don't measure impact on the ice.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Like i asked another poster : What is a top pairing D for you??
On a contender? A guy capable of playing 25+ minutes a night and being able to consistently tilt the ice in favour of the team he's on against the other team's best lines.

Sure and that just reinforces my point that no one cares that Ekblad was drafted 1st overall and there are MUCH better players behind him. As you mentioned, their best Dman was picked up off waivers and now forms an excellent first pair with Ekblad.

That's all that matters...people obsess over draft position, once they're drafted it doesn't matter anymore, all that matters is the value you bring to the team that drafted you.

Not who you are as a player vs other players drafted before or after you...that's just fan chatter and bragging rights.

Whether you want to qualify what he'll be as a Number #1 or top pairing Dman or top 4 Dman...these are just labels, they don't measure impact on the ice.
Not disputing any of that, just saying that I don't perceive him as having a very high ceiling.

I get what you're saying, and the sad reality is that defensemen like Reinbacher are such a rare commodity that you pretty much have to reach for them in order to get them on your team.

Reactions: 417 and Benstheman

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

you don't think they would rather have Draisaitle or Pastrnak? lol
They win a cup either way, but Tkachuk and Bennet were the real winning move anyways. They could fill Ekblad's role with a half dozen guys at the trade deadline

• Haha
Reactions: River Meadow

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Most fans have no issues waiting.

But most fans would like for our 5th OA pick to show us something and not look completely ordinary.

Not saying that means he won't be good... he likely will be in time, but it's quite underwhelming right now.

He is showing things - they just aren't the things you're picking up on. The team is very happy with his play but know he needs more seasoning. He's only played like 15 games in North American ice.

It's not underwhelming unless you were expecting this big flashy offensive toolkit. That's not what he was picked for and so if you are underwhelmed, you just didn't know the product we bought.

He was nervous in period 1, after that he settled down.. there's so much tape of his poise with the puck. He's still getting adjusted to North America and that was probably the fastest, most NHL caliber team he's ever faced on NA ice. The big news is how quickly he made the adjustments in that game and was pretty much controlling things defensively from period 2 on. Seriously, after period 1, what mistakes did he make? How many actual scoring chances were had when he was back in defensive posture?

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
He is showing things - they just aren't the things you're picking up on. The team is very happy with his play but know he needs more seasoning. He's only played like 15 games in North American ice.

It's not underwhelming unless you were expecting this big flashy offensive toolkit. That's not what he was picked for and so if you are underwhelmed, you just didn't know the product we bought.

He was nervous in period 1, after that he settled down.. there's so much tape of his poise with the puck. He's still getting adjusted to North America and that was probably the fastest, most NHL caliber team he's ever faced on NA ice. The big news is how quickly he made the adjustments in that game and was pretty much controlling things defensively from period 2 on. Seriously, after period 1, what mistakes did he make? How many actual scoring chances were had when he was back in defensive posture?
I give him full credit defensively, and think the PP goal against was more on Struble than anything. I just found his puck carrying lackluster overall. Hopefully he gets a game with Hutson to show exactly where his value will be in the future.

CrazyBob

Jul 11, 2004
I believe hes gonna have a fine career as a dman in the NHL. He might never be a star player but hes gonna be a solid piece to the Canadien so not too worried about him

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He likely ends up as either the complimentary player on a top pairing or the driving force of a 2nd pairing ie a number 2 Dman.

6'2/3 RHD number 2 dmen are extremely rare to acquire if you do not draft them. Toronto went forward heavy for years and have not had one in decades. A 34 year old Chris Tanev is the closest they've had in forever.

Can we stop complaining about Michkov in this thread or I can't believe he won't be an offensive dynamo. That's never been his game he's probably gonna put up 40-45 pts a year while being very good defensively. Think Ekblad, R. Anderson, Pietrangelo type player.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
you don't think they would rather have Draisaitle or Pastrnak? lol
They win a cup either way, but Tkachuk and Bennet were the real winning move anyways. They could fill Ekblad's role with a half dozen guys at the trade deadline

I swear, some of the arguments on this site...

:propeller

• Haha
Reactions: Habs

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I give him full credit defensively, and think the PP goal against was more on Struble than anything. I just found his puck carrying lackluster overall. Hopefully he gets a game with Hutson to show exactly where his value will be in the future.

His puck skills are average. He gets pucks, he uses his skating to create separation and he moves the puck up to an outlet that keeps the offense moving forward.

He isn't beating people one on one.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
From the sounds of this thread we’re going to have to send more encouragement letters to Laval

More like see if we can make a deal with Molson so he can pay for some therapy. The way some people are getting upset over things they create in their own head as problems and issues, it requires some psychotherapy

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016

I'm not expecting anything except to see... 'something', anything, from a guy drafted at 5OA. When I watch him, he to puts me to sleep.

We need to let him cook in the AHL for a good 2-3 yrs at minimum, I think.

• Love
Reactions: Habs and mdk

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not expecting anything except to see... 'something', anything, from a guy drafted at 5OA. When I watch him, he to puts me to sleep.

We need to let him cook in the AHL for a good 2-3 yrs at minimum, I think.
LOL, he is better than Barron already, and better in his own zone than Mailloux and Hutson.

Reactions: Benstheman

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
More like see if we can make a deal with Molson so he can pay for some therapy. The way some people are getting upset over things they create in their own head as problems and issues, it requires some psychotherapy

I want our #5 overall to play like the guy we drafted at #62 overall, is that too much? It just doesn't look like the tools are there? I realize he's young but I'm not seeing it, and people are applauding the most basic defensive moves. 'Did you see the way he closed the gap!!!!!' I mean come on, they teach that in Bantom. We seem to be reaching for compliments and accolades.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
The reason why, every year, teams consistently draft defensemen that appear less skilled or sexy than available forwards ISN'T because scouts are dumbasses and collectively make this mistake again and again. I know it's tempting to believe so, but it's just not the case.

Reactions: Benstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad