Prospect Info: David Reinbacher

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lou4gehrig

Aug 2, 2005
He’s a second pairing guy. It is what it is.
0 games played in the NHL. Guessing. It is what it is. He's a top 50 player under 23 in the same tier as Silayev, Iginla, Gauthier, etc. (according to the Athletic article. He's still developing physically.

Like Slaf over Shane Wright, Reinbacher wasn't drafted right before Michkov. And Michkov was 7th overall only. Yeah he's developed better than expected, but to claim the Habs should have 100% known better is nonsense. Many mock drafts had Michkov in the 6-10 range.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Looks like the David Reinbacher thread is going to have to go the way of the Juraj Slafkovsky thread - which is a toxic cesspool you don't go into because it's full of crying, hot takes and general stupidity.

He had a nervous first period as did pretty much the entire roster who didn't have extensive NHL experience.

The penalty kill goal was a miscommunication where he thought Struble had Tavares and he was shaded out to the one-timer threat on the dot. That's Xs and Os that gets ironed out in a season, nothing more than that.

After that, he showed exactly what he was drafted to do. Shut down the rush with his stick and skating. Defend the in-zone cycle with his skating and size. Get the puck, evade pressure and make quick, solid exits out of the zone and then support the attack with clever activations.

We just played NJ with Simon Nemec, a 2nd overall pick, and he was worse, with more experience, than Reinbacher was in this game. The Devils could have taken small scorer Logan Cooley instead.

Defenseman take longer to develop, so trying to make mountains of mole hills is just wanting to make yourself mad and miserable. Let the man develop, there's absolutely no need for him to be a first pairing defenseman TODAY.

The small scorers are almost ALWAYS ahead of the big defenseman. You guys have watched hockey long enough, you post about it on a message board, you must know by now that it's common knowledge that defense and goaltending have the longest run way of development to their upside.

Yes, some of the special talents like a Drew Doughty come in and do it earlier. No one has ever billed Reinbacher as a Drew Doughty. If that's what you thought they were getting, that's on you, and if things are failing to meet expectations you set by yourself, because of some weird "an X overall pick must be X" lie you tell yourself, that's on you, not on management and certainly not on the player.

Recalibrate. Chill out. He's going to be a very valuable piece to the rebuild and he is not going to be flashy about it.
Yeah if you believed in Slaf you were just a moron.

I’ve no idea why people love to paint themselves into these bizarre corners with these absolutist takes.

Nothing wrong with thinking Reinbacher isn’t great but it’s just the certainty that some posters have about his low ceiling are just silly.

lou4gehrig

Aug 2, 2005
I have a question for you : what is a top pair D for you? Because the definition seems to be differing from a poster to another.
Probably means a top pairing on a dynastic cup winning team. Ben Chiarot is a top pairing D. Mario Ferraro is a top pairing D.

Ekholm is a top paring D now on one of the best teams in the league, but his first 4-5 years was he a top pairing D playing with Josi, Ellis, Weber, PK etc? Did anybody ever predict he would be? Did it matter?

Some teams (Colorado) have 2 D who play alot more than the other D. Some teams (Carolina) have 4 D that play pretty much the same minutes. Some teams (Dallas) have 1 D who plays alot more than 2-4. Some teams (Florida last season) have 3 D who played the most minutes.

So yeah seems like guessing to me. Basically predicting Reinbacher is not Pronger is all he's saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benstheman

lou4gehrig

Aug 2, 2005
I also don’t think that Reinbacher, a defenseman, will have the same offensive career as Matvei Michkov. On the offensive side of things, Reinbacher will lie somewhere between Douglas Murray and Patrick Kane, if I had to guess.
Michkov was the 7th overall pick and not even picked behind Reinbacher. Plenty of mock drafts had Reinbacher ahead of Michkov. Glad Michkov has outperformed his draft evaluation, that's good luck by Philly. But you're saying the Habs should have predicted that outperformance? If everyone had "known" about Michkov he would have been consensus 2nd overall pick.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Michkov was the 7th overall pick and not even picked behind Reinbacher. Plenty of mock drafts had Reinbacher ahead of Michkov. Glad Michkov has outperformed his draft evaluation, that's good luck by Philly. But you're saying the Habs should have predicted that outperformance? If everyone had "known" about Michkov he would have been consensus 2nd overall pick.
Come on there's no luck to that selection... it was just plain stupidity by other teams. He was ranked in the top 2 for 5 years ahead of this draft.

Anyway, ot.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah if you believed in Slaf you were just a moron.

I’ve no idea why people love to paint themselves into these bizarre corners with these absolutist takes.

Nothing wrong with thinking Reinbacher isn’t great but it’s just the certainty that some posters have about his low ceiling are just silly.
Ya it's wrong to think DR isn't great. He is. He's gonna be very good.

What's wrong is the smear campaign against another player and the copium around him. We passed on a much better player but we ended up with a good one ourselves, why lie and jump through hoops like the poster you've quoted has been doing for more than a year now? Call a cat a cat.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
I didn’t say anything like that, you dunce. You’re going off an idiotic tangent. I was poking fun at the poster for comparing a forward and defenseman in terms of offensive output.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Probably means a top pairing on a dynastic cup winning team. Ben Chiarot is a top pairing D. Mario Ferraro is a top pairing D.

Ekholm is a top paring D now on one of the best teams in the league, but his first 4-5 years was he a top pairing D playing with Josi, Ellis, Weber, PK etc? Did anybody ever predict he would be? Did it matter?

Some teams (Colorado) have 2 D who play alot more than the other D. Some teams (Carolina) have 4 D that play pretty much the same minutes. Some teams (Dallas) have 1 D who plays alot more than 2-4. Some teams (Florida last season) have 3 D who played the most minutes.

So yeah seems like guessing to me. Basically predicting Reinbacher is not Pronger is all he's saying.
This 100%.

I think Habs will be a 3 D with lots of ice time. Guhle and Reinbacher should fill 2 of them. I don't know if Hutson can be one but i doubt it because of durability. If HuGo don't think Mailloux can play 22-23 minutes per game, finding that kind of player should be a priority.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ya it's wrong to think DR isn't great. He is. He's gonna be very good.

What's wrong is the smear campaign against another player and the copium around him. We passed on a much better player but we ended up with a good one ourselves, why lie and jump through hoops like the poster you've quoted has been doing for more than a year now? Call a cat a cat.

What smear campaign?

He was let to go to NA early from a Russian team who had his rights for 2 more seasons. They moved him out of their team to Sochi multiple times and were cited to do so again if he didn't make the Flyers. That's an odd thing to do for a professional team trying to win games.

and I've never ever not acknowledged he wasn't a better player; I'm pretty forthcoming with my draft rankings.

1727449388267.png

You can see I had Michkov at 3, ahead of Reinbacher. I'm just capable of understanding that we were not picking him and don't feel the need to play violin on my wrists every time Michkov does something. Where you pick something to obsess over and try to beat the drum that you were correct.

Congratulations, man, you predicted Michkov will be a good NHL scoring talent. What a bold call.

Reactions: jrom and Seb

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
The problem is Mailloux has not been better than Reinbacher in ANY game they've played together in so far.
He was also not very good in the critical games for Laval last season Reinbacher was.
If management were totally impressed with Logan Mailloux he would have got the top pairing billet when Ghule couldn't go.
Lots of work left for this kid. I wouldn't be surprised if Engstrom passes him on the depth chart down the road.
Fair, but it directs me to this conundrum;

How many LD can we have playing on the right? We have Guhle there right now by default and now you are suggesting that Engstrom might step in front of Mailloux. At some point we need to isolate the LD and the RD and discuss them separately IMO.

So let’s say;
Savard
Mailloux
Rein
Barron
Kony

That’s our depth. It’s light considering Savard ain’t getting younger. To be frank I’m worried a bit, our team is growing fast and getting pretty good IMO, but that position is way behind.

So, if Guhle becomes a permanent solution there, it will be because we couldn’t nail our rebuild on the right. I think it’s glaring.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What smear campaign?

He was let to go to NA early from a Russian team who had his rights for 2 more seasons. They moved him out of their team to Sochi multiple times and were cited to do so again if he didn't make the Flyers. That's an odd thing to do for a professional team trying to win games.

and I've never ever not acknowledged he wasn't a better player; I'm pretty forthcoming with my draft rankings.

View attachment 910237

You can see I had Michkov at 3, ahead of Reinbacher. I'm just capable of understanding that we were not picking him and don't feel the need to play violin on my wrists every time Michkov does something. Where you pick something to obsess over and try to beat the drum that you were correct.

Congratulations, man, you predicted Michkov will be a good NHL scoring talent. What a bold call.

If they picked Yakemchuk at 5 would you have said the same thing? Very weird concept to accept a bad decision.

Fair, but it directs me to this conundrum;

How many LD can we have playing on the right? We have Guhle there right now by default and now you are suggesting that Engstrom might step in front of Mailloux. At some point we need to isolate the LD and the RD and discuss them separately IMO.

So let’s say;
Savard
Mailloux
Rein
Barron
Kony

That’s our depth. It’s light considering Savard ain’t getting younger. To be frank I’m worried a bit, our team is growing fast and getting pretty good IMO, but that position is way behind.

So, if Guhle becomes a permanent solution there, it will be because we couldn’t nail our rebuild on the right. I think it’s glaring.
They need to target a young and established RD. It needs to happen.

Reactions: Gustave

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If they picked Yakemchuk at 5 would you have said the same thing? Very weird concept to accept a bad decision.

They need to target a young and established RD. It needs to happen.

If they picked Yakemchuk over Demidov, I'd be mad at the decision. But I would allow myself to get over it and watch Yakemchuk's development and hope that he provides value toward being a winning team.

The decision is made, the management group and scouting staff has earned enough benefit of the doubt to see things through. Wouldn't you agree?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If they picked Yakemchuk over Demidov, I'd be mad at the decision. But I would allow myself to get over it and watch Yakemchuk's development and hope that he provides value toward being a winning team.

The decision is made, the management group and scouting staff has earned enough benefit of the doubt to see things through. Wouldn't you agree?

Bury your head in the sand basically?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Bury your head in the sand basically?

No, do the mature thing and move on from it.

What are you gaining by relitigating a selection that didn't go the way you wanted it to? I can see sporadically doing so as the seasons roll by and more and more things come into focus. But doing it every game is just needlessly excessive.

Evaluate Reinbacher as the player he is and the player we selected. There is no way for us to know at current whether or not the Reinbacher selection and subsequent moves and build off of that decision is the right or wrong one.

It is rarely this pick vs that pick that determines anything. That's the way Bergevin operated. Everything was in a vacuum.

This management group has a vision and saw an opportunity to get the big, rangy RD that they felt was the rarer commodity and then the next season they got Demidov at 5. So let's see how the build continues to play out relative to what we have in house and what they go out and get through trades, more draft picks and signings.

It remains to be seen whether or not it is more difficult for them to find a Reinbacher through their other opportunities, because from where I am sitting, getting Demidov and acquiring Laine, on top of Slafkovsky and Caufield, that's a pretty solid top 6 build and we simply don't know what we will have the chance to get with our top pick this year.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I’ve seen Reinbacher for a couple games.
I don’t think he’ll have the offensive career that many expects over Matvei Michkov.
I’ve analyze his game, I see a very close resemblance to Brandon Carlo or Colton Parayko.
Both are top 4 defenseman, and if Reinbacher’s game develops, he’ll be more Parayko.
He’s at 6’4” this season and still 19. He should top at 6’4” or 6’5” 220-225lbs.

My guess is David Reinbacher will be a big minute horse on defense for the Canadiens. I think he will be an all situation defenseman. Protecting the lead, shutting down top lines. To me, Reinbacher will be a 25-35 points defenseman. I think he’s a better fit with Kaiden Guhle than with Lane Hutson.

Oh wow he's 6ft4 now..

David Reinbacher, a promising prospect for the Montreal Canadiens, is now officially listed at 6 feet 4 inches tall. This marks a notable increase from previous measurements, where he was recorded at 6 feet 2.25 inches earlier in the year. His height, combined with his weight of approximately 209 pounds, positions him as a formidable presence on the ice, particularly as a defenseman

I feel better now about this pick.

For the style he plays, the bigger he is the better and it also helps to justify the pick at 5OA even more.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Oh wow he's 6ft4 now..

David Reinbacher, a promising prospect for the Montreal Canadiens, is now officially listed at 6 feet 4 inches tall. This marks a notable increase from previous measurements, where he was recorded at 6 feet 2.25 inches earlier in the year. His height, combined with his weight of approximately 209 pounds, positions him as a formidable presence on the ice, particularly as a defenseman

I feel better now about this pick.

For the style he plays, the bigger he is the better and it also helps to justify the pick at 5OA even more.
I don't think he's 6'4

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
It was always Laval , you guys are putting top 4 expectations on a 19 year old...its interesting

Most fans have no issues waiting.

But most fans would like for our 5th OA pick to show us something and not look completely ordinary.

Not saying that means he won't be good... he likely will be in time, but it's quite underwhelming right now.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

But most fans would like for our 5th OA pick to show us something and not look completely ordinary.

Not saying that means he won't be good... he likely will be in time, but it's quite underwhelming right now.
I guess it depends on the expectations you set for the guy , not many dmen make the NHL at 19. Alot of guys have the puck skills to be impressive but can't skate and be physical and skate right up with men off the rush , he is basically the opposite of that right now , I think he has a good first pass still even if he is not up to par in terns of handling the puck yet

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I guess it depends on the expectations you set for the guy , not many dmen make the NHL at 19. Alot of guys have the puck skills to be impressive but can't skate and be physical and skate right up with men off the rush , he is basically the opposite of that right now , I think he has a good first pass still even if he is not up to par in terns of handling the puck yet
This is David's 20 years old season. He's definitely a bit behind schedule right now.

Reactions: mdk

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Barron, Struble, Xhekaj are 6 of the 7 we will have. Maybe Engstrom as no.7, but maybe Hutson as the 3D. Reinbacher, Hutson and Mailloux will all at least get a good taste of NHL hockey if they hit streaks of good play in the AHL.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pffftttt yeah right.

Who really cares about what feelings a prospect gives you, whether he does something that shows you something or overwhelms you is completely irrelevant.

He showed me some good things last night, but for you it was different....who cares.

All that matters is he continues to gain experience and round out his game. If you're expecting him to give you warm and fuzzy feelings when he plays, then you're never going to be satisfied with the pick because that's just not who he is.

But then again, neither was Alex Pietrangelo...he turned out alright (not comparing him to DR).

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad