David Backes signs one day contract with Blues and announces retirement

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
Can the one day be against the Hawks so he can punch Toews in the head one last time?

Glad Backes is able to retire a Blue! Also glad we didn’t sign him to the contract Boston did. I agree with you and would love to see one more bout between Toews and him. Having those two go at it made the rivalry more like I remembered in the 80’s and 90’s.

I wonder if this move means he is trying for a position within the Blues organization like Big Walt or Ott now that he is retired.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Classy move on the Blues part. Backes was my favorite player back in the day. It is a shame he didn't get to lift the Cup with the team. Welcome back, Mr. Backes.

skyrink

Oct 4, 2007
Toronto, CANADA
What is actually entailed in a 1 day contract? This happens quite often. Does he actually get paid for the day or is it just a formality on paper that someone can say they retired with that team?

Great to see this though! Class act!

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
When he signed with the Bruins, I think he said something along the lines of this isn't goodbye St. Louis, it's see you later. Glad he followed through on that statement.

Reactions: BluesTraveller

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
What is actually entailed in a 1 day contract? This happens quite often. Does he actually get paid for the day or is it just a formality on paper that someone can say they retired with that team?

backes has to report to the enterprise center and work a full 8 hour shift to get paid

i, in fact, do not know

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada

One day contracts don't actually exist. They're like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy.

Classy move on the Blues part. Backes was another one of my favorites. It was a shame to see him on the otherside when we won in 19. Good player and even a better person.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Hopefully he gets a nice video tribute and gets honored at center-ice pre-game one night, to give one last wave goodbye to the fans. He had some great seasons on some mediocre teams, and carried the burden of leading a young, developing team out of the abyss and back into respectability. Backes and Andy Murray deserve a lot of credit for turning the organization around after Laurie left it for dead. Like most, I'm glad he chased the money in Boston, as the Blues don't win the Cup without his roster-spot getting turned over. But he's an all-time Blues great and wore the captaincy proud. Glad he gets the sentimental goodbye from the front-office as a 'thank you' for all that he's done for the organization.

Last edited:

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
56021C8A-9477-420A-9994-6BD220B5706E.gif
One day contracts don't actually exist. They're like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy.

Classy move on the Blues part. Backes was another one of my favorites. It was a shame to see him on the otherside when we won in 19. Good player and even a better person.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'd really like to see him suit up for the home opener, play a few shifts, and then retire. The house would have it's share of tears and cheers on that night. Epic.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Can the one day be against the Hawks so he can punch Toews in the head one last time?
The rampage of Captain America was pretty cool. I loved how he picked fights with everyone on Team Canada for a stretch there. Too bad Miller couldn't come up with one more big save and let Team USA win that OT game vs Canada. That was a pretty fun Olympics tournament. I'm glad the players will be attending the Olympics again.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think a player like Backes has been the missing ingredient for Buffalo and Edmonton. The Blues were just as bad as those teams in the nadir of the rebuild, but high character guys like Backes helped establish a culture of hard work and toughness. He may not have been on the ice to life the Cup for St Louis, but he was a part of the path that led to that night.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
One of my favorite Backes moments was the last second baseball bat goal vs Boston. "It will take a miracle." That was a game the Blues deserved to win, when they were still on the bottom and playing a very good team. But two late goals allowed by Mason turned a late 3rd period lead into a deficit. Boston missed an empty net opportunity. Jackman laid out and blocked another empty net chance. With 8 seconds left the team charged up ice. Perron masterfully stickhandled into the zone and dumped the puck off to Tkachuk. Big Walt took a shot that was blocked, which Backes batted out of the air right before the buzzer. Tim Thomas threw a tantrum and threw the net off.

The Blues went on to win the OT. That game turned into something special that allowed that young team to make the playoffs. It was a miraculous run, but a great treat to watch.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hopefully he gets a nice video tribute and gets honored at center-ice pre-game one night, to give one last wave goodbye to the fans. He had some great seasons on some mediocre teams, and carried the burden of leading a young, developing team out of the abyss and back into respectability. Backes and Andy Murray deserve a lot of credit for turning the organization around after Laurie left it for dead. Like most, I'm glad he chased the money in Boston, as the Blues don't win the Cup without his roster-spot getting turned over. But he's an all-time Blues great and wore the captaincy proud. Glad he gets the sentimental goodbye from the front-office as a 'thank you' for all that he's done for the organization.
You miss the Anaheim game? That already happened.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
You miss the Anaheim game? That already happened.
With less than 5,000 people in the building. I'm fine letting that night be it for him in an NHL building if he wants because it was a fantastic moment. But it isn't the same as doing a pre-game ceremony with a packed building after he has made his retirement official.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Backes is one of my all time favorite Blues. His style is a dying breed in the NHL, it was impossible to question his heart and he seems to be a genuinely great guy away from the rink. I'd love for him to join the front office. If he wants to work a full time job in hockey, I think he would be a great GM one day. If he wants to spend time with his family, I think he would be a great consultant/ambassador. He is an intelligent guy who is the embodiment of character and leadership. Even if he isn't doing any actual work besides occasionally talking to prospects, that would be valuable to an NHL organization.

So many great moments from Backes, but one of my favorites was that 4 goal night against the Wings in a 5-4 win. We were still in the middle of that miracle playoff run and a loss to the Hawks the night before had us on the outside looking in. What a night.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
One of my favorites for sure, played his heart out every single night. There were moments where I would get frustrated at some of his antics but I did understand at the back of my mind that he was doing it to spark the team. The SOB line was a treat to watch when they were at their best. For such a hard nosed guy on the ice, he was incredibly charismatic off the ice due to his well spoken and thoughtful interviews. I'm glad the Blues gave him the honor of retiring as a member of the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad