Dave Hakstol Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
13th in the league. Good thing he inherited a great team.

yeah poor Hak. it must suck to take over a team with such horrible players as 90 point Hart nominee Giroux, 80 point Voracek, top power forward Simmonds, and a young core of highly skilled players like Couturier, Schenn, and Calder nominee Ghost. yeah, god it must suck to have a team so full of bad players. what coach would ever want to take over a team with that? :facepalm:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
When Hak took over, Couts was a 3C who hadn't scored more than 31 ES points a year, Schenn was an inconsistent young forward, Ghost was in college, and Giroux and Voackek's best seasons were behind them. The team was in cap hell and would have to dump a top 6 forward.
The defense was aging, and the depth was spotty.
He had a solid goalie with a questionable history (Mason imploded in CBJ, and eventually here).

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
we need to find the next Sean McVay or Brad Stevens NHL equivalent. Not a 60 year old stopgap.

Do your homework and find a young, progressive, hungry lion. Not a hire because your ****ing kid recommended him. An actual new school hire who wants to play 2018 hockey and grow a young team.

Hextall thought this was Hak…...instead we got a sad sack of a coach

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
When Hak took over, Couts was a 3C who hadn't scored more than 31 ES points a year, Schenn was an inconsistent young forward, Ghost was in college, and Giroux and Voackek's best seasons were behind them. The team was in cap hell and would have to dump a top 6 forward.
He had a solid goalie with a questionable history (Mason imploded in CBJ, and eventually here).

Giroux and Voracek's best season were not behind them. Ghost had an incredible rookie year. Couts, Schenn and Simmonds were all very good young players to build around. the point is that he didn't inherit a bad team like Ghosts Beer implied. he had many good pieces to work with. no team is perfect top to bottom. Hak had more than enough to be a very competitive team moving forward. and here we are 4 years later, and we're no better off in the standings, despite Hextall getting rid of a lot of the crap.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hextall thought this was Hak…...instead we got a sad sack of a coach

Yes, I realize this. So Hextall should only consider former NHL coaches with large track records of success years ago? Raid the old age home?

I would hope Hextall has evolved over the last 4-5 years. If he can't look himself in the mirror and see the league is evolving Dave Scott needs to step in. People need to do there jobs. This shouldn't just be an old boys club because we're afraid to fail. That's not how you succeed.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Yes, I realize this. So Hextall should only consider former NHL coaches with large track records of success years ago? Raid the old age home?

I would hope Hextall has evolved over the last 4-5 years. If he can't look himself in the mirror and see the league is evolving Dave Scott needs to step in. People need to do there jobs. This shouldn't just be an old boys club because we're afraid to fail. That's not how you succeed.
Unfortunately the culture remains one of the good ole boys …...Hextall, Holmgren and Clarke all bouncing ideas off each other in an echo chamber.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Unfortunately the culture remains one of the good ole boys …...Hextall, Holmgren and Clarke all bouncing ideas off each other in an echo chamber.

I don't think that's very fair though. Is this team, and its direction, consistent with anything of the past?

I think the Flyers now are so vastly different of the Flyers of the past - it's nearly impossible to say the mindset of the men at the top are the same now as it was then.

Embiid

May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Doesn't seem like it.

Hextall has been very different from Holmgren.
This is true but I have a hard time believing those two don't exert some influence.....just how much....who knows. Probably not enough to move the needle in any drastic sense but I wish those two weren't even involved bc of their own GM transgressions.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
It would come down to whether Quenneville felt comfortable coaching under Hextall.
Hextall is a strong GM, so a coach would have to feel he's on the same page or it won't work.

Now in Chicago, Tallen was a mediocre drafter but good judge of trades and free agents, Bowman was slightly better drafting but not as good otherwise.
And obviously Q and Bowman didn't see eye to eye.

Hextall is a great drafter, but is Q patient enough to work with a very young roster over the next few years?
Or would he push Hextall to trade to win now - and end up in a situation where the coach and GM are at loggerheads.
You have such a clear head, and you're very good at explaining things......p.s. you have Grate taste in music too!

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Just saw that Hak is tied for 4th among current NHL coaches in tenure (current run with current team).

giphy.gif

FluffyVeneratedAmazonparrot-small.gif

source.gif

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Some people never seem to amaze me.
I don’t think that’s it.

Hextall is supposed to do what he thinks is best for the organization. Not what's going to keep him as GM as long as possible.

He already has the Executive VP (or whatever) title. His place in the organization is safe forever if he wants it. Just like Holmgren & Clarke.

You must not be familiar with the corporate ladder or real life. Hextall should absolutely know he has one more coaching shot more than likely. He will act on that info. Self preservation. Not only that, but his one shot could be a cup or could be a disaster. A lot of range with this team now and in the future.

I’ll take the guy who just coached a dynasty and is what second all time in games coached over a guy who can’t even figure out how to win a playoff game in the NHL.

I’d also rather have cooper but I think he wins a cup this year and stays put.

Reactions: flyersfan187

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Yeah anyone who says they don't want Quenneville is kidding themselves. At a minimum he's a qualified competent NHL coach, which we haven't had for many years. He's a guy who's proven he can win multiple playoff series while matched up against talented teams. He's won multiple Cups, and the Flyers haven't had a coach like that in 40 years.

I'd take him.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
But have no fear Hak the Savior took over and developed and guided G, Coots, Voracek, Ghost and TK, I’m honestly surprised his healing powers couldn’t have helped Simmer mend up faster, but shoot you can’t win them all, amirite

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Giroux and Voracek's best season were not behind them. Ghost had an incredible rookie year. Couts, Schenn and Simmonds were all very good young players to build around. the point is that he didn't inherit a bad team like Ghosts Beer implied. he had many good pieces to work with. no team is perfect top to bottom. Hak had more than enough to be a very competitive team moving forward. and here we are 4 years later, and we're no better off in the standings, despite Hextall getting rid of a lot of the crap.

Go look at the team again, who is even in the NHL?
2014-15 Flyers:
Voracek (29)
Giroux (31)
Schenn (27)
Couts (26)
Simmonds (30)
Raffl (30)
Laughton (24)
Cousins (25)
Rinaldo (28)
PEB (33)
Read (32)

MDZ (28)
Coburn (33)
L Schenn (29)
MacDonald (32)
Manning (28)

In the pipeline: Ghost, Hagg, Morin, Leier

So, if Hextall had stayed the course, tried to patch this team into the playoffs (no cap room for a major acquisition until recently, and that only after dumping a bunch of players), what do you think their record would have been the last three seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad