Speculation: Dallas Goalie prospect in AHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Ok, so we got the Stars training camp groups today and two names were left off Dickinson, a late first round (same year as Val) and Morin an AHL center, but a good scorer at that level. Probably nothing, but made me curious.

So, what could the Stars realistically get for these two centers. Preferably a younger goalie with upside but with AHL availability still, any suggestions.

RangerRick61

Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Ok, so we got the Stars training camp groups today and two names were left off Dickinson, a late first round (same year as Val) and Morin an AHL center, but a good scorer at that level. Probably nothing, but made me curious.

So, what could the Stars realistically get for these two centers. Preferably a younger goalie with upside but with AHL availability still, any suggestions.

Maybe the Rangers could be a suitor? We have a bunch of young goalies with upside. Our middle 6 is pretty solid, but I'm always interested in buffing the prospect pool.

Thoughts?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Morin is going to be a career AHLer. He plays with veteran savvy at that level, but doesn't have the size or speed for the NHL. No trade value.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Dickinson, on the other hand, is a guy I like. He actually stands out more to me in Texas Stars games than Ritchie, for instance. Maybe not the same upside, but he uses his body much better.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Mason McDonald for Dickinson would the best fit value wise from the Flames, but you'll find people who'll say "absolutely no way" on both sides.

What's Dickinson's story anyways? I thought the stars were high on him...

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Just bored and wonder what value they would have, probably just injured, or something and thats why they were excluded from the training camp groups.

For the record, having Dickinson in the pipeline was why the trade with the flames at the deadline didnt seem like that big of a deal. Really like Dickinson so far, so would be kind of surprised if he was traded, but with Nuke gone, and if Honka was off the table, Dickinson would likely be the asking price in most proposals I would think.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Berube gets sent down and clears I'd do Morin for Chris Gibson. NYI needs help everywhere on their farm team.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
If Berube gets sent down and clears I'd do Morin for Chris Gibson. NYI needs help everywhere on their farm team.

Great call, I would do this as well. We desperately need AHL scorers, especially centers, to help out MDC and JHS.

EDIT: Didn't realize Morin is 32. We can probably get him for a lot less than Chris Gibson.

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
The Sabres organization has three AHL level goalies, (Linus Ullmark, Jason Kasdorf, and John Muse)

Although I think, organizationally, we need Ullmark more then we need Dickerson and I doubt Kasdorf gets the job done.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Mason McDonald for Dickinson would the best fit value wise from the Flames, but you'll find people who'll say "absolutely no way" on both sides.

What's Dickinson's story anyways? I thought the stars were high on him...

I'd do it as a Flames fan. I like Gillies and Parsons more than McDonald and I think Dickinson is going to be an NHL player.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I think Mason will be a good goalie. Trading him would light a fire under him that would probably make us regret it, but not too much because both teams would probably be happy with their guy.

IMO though, I'd trade him for a C or D if the value is equal. I irrationally do not prefer the righty catcher goalies and we have a few good goalies in the system already.

Evestay

Aug 20, 2011
This would actually be perfect for the Blues. We have 3 AHL caliber goalies and only 2 spots for them - Husso, Binnington and Copley.

Take your pick between Binnington and Copley - they are pretty equal in my eyes. Binnington with the better draft pedigree but Copley with the bigger stature.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Travis Morin is 32 years old with 13 nhl games... value of? not to much

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Travis Morin is 32 years old with 13 nhl games... value of? not to much

Yeah, wasn't expecting there to be much, hence why I presented it as Dickinson and Morin. Kind of moot now anyways since they were recovering from surgery and sick. Kind of weird we didn't hear anything about the surgery during the off season.

As far as why look for younger goalies, more as a what if Kari and Niemi get hurt, none of our goalies who should be playing in Texas are really ready to step up if needed. We had Muse last year to start the season, but he didn't do so well here and asked to be moved doubt he is someone they would want back in Cedar Park.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad