Dale Tallon appreciation thread.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Taking Barkov at 2 overall alone makes him deserve our thanks. Most pundits had Jones and Drouin rated above him, it was a mild surprise and by no means a slam dunk pick.

Yup.

Before the draft it was MacKinnon #1, then a toss up between Jones, Drouin and Barkov.

Now, who knows how the actual scouts saw it, but it was a pick that wasn't a slam dunk can't miss type of prospect at the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dread Clawz

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Thank you for taking Barkov 2nd overall. This was NOT a slam dunk and most pundits had us taking Seth Jones and Barkov going 3rd or 4th in draft.
Thank you for the Bobrovsky contract.

Wouldn't change a thing.

Of course Zito is the mastermind and deserves a statue one day, but Tallon deserves some kudos.
Tallon put that Blackhawks team together too. Congrats Panthers!!

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Taking Barkov at 2 overall alone makes him deserve our thanks. Most pundits had Jones and Drouin rated above him, it was a mild surprise and by no means a slam dunk pick.
I remember Don Cherry not being happy about that pick :DD
Consequently that was when I started following NHL more closely again after a long time and rooting for Panthers again.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Yup.

Before the draft it was MacKinnon #1, then a toss up between Jones, Drouin and Barkov.

Now, who knows how the actual scouts saw it, but it was a pick that wasn't a slam dunk can't miss type of prospect at the time.

It was a Finnish scout who was very adamant about Barkov. Tallon shouldn't get too much credit tbh

Reactions: teugen

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Tallon had its up and down, on the whole I think it was slightly better than average, which was a huge improvement for the Panthers. But just as he did in Chicago, he couldn't use all of his resources to push hard for it. Recently Kipper & Bourne interviewed a former scout under Tallon and he mentioned how (I'm not sure proud is the right word) proud he was that they left the "cupboard" full. It was time we swapped the cupboard for hardware.

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site
It was a Finnish scout who was very adamant about Barkov. Tallon shouldn't get too much credit tbh

I mean that's silly to say. He deserves tons of credit for actually listening to his scouts in the proper way. He could have been stubborn and taken the #1 overall player (Jones was ranked above Mackinnon in final central scouting rankings) and big rugged American Defenseman. I am sure some scouts wanted Jones too. He picked the right one to listen to.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I mean that's silly to say. He deserves tons of credit for actually listening to his scouts in the proper way. He could have been stubborn and taken the #1 overall player (Jones was ranked above Mackinnon in final central scouting rankings) and big rugged American Defenseman. I am sure some scouts wanted Jones too. He picked the right one to listen to.

It really isn't. His impact was minimal.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Dale did what he did in Chicago. He had acquired a lot of good players through drafting but couldn't quite get it done.

Dale has Barkov, Ekblad, Lustorainen, and Bobrovsky to hold his head high about today. Everyone else was all Bill Zito.

As others said, Dale brought us back to relevancy, Zito brought us into being one of the best teams in the league.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Dale kinda did here what he did in Chigaco, got the early important pieces and then got replaced by guy who was better at finishing the job.

Actually, Mike Smith and Bob Pulford laid foundation

Keith (Drafted by Smith)
Seabrook (Drafted by Smith)
Byfuglien (Drafted by Smith)
Crawford (Drafted by Smith)
Burish (Drafted by Smith)
Bolland (Drafted by Pulford)
Bickell (Drafted by Pulford)
Brouwer (Drafted by Pulford)

Dale brought in a few important players including the faces of franchise

Hjalmarsson (Drafted by Tallon)
Toews (Drafted by Tallon)
Kane (Drafted by Tallon)
Sharp (Acquired in trade)
Versteeg (Acquired in trade)
Ladd (Acquired in trade)
Niemi (UDFA)
Hendry (UDFA)
Sopel (FA)
Campbell (FA)

Bowman closed the deal

Hossa (FA)
Kopecky (FA)
Madden (FA)
Boynton (Trade)

2010 Cup team was the work of 4 GM"s coming together as a championship team

But Hawks don't win any cups if Tallon isn't fired since he wanted Havlat extended longterm while Bowman's brought in Hossa

No Hossa = No Cups
Havlat extended longterm = Would have been disaster

Also, Dale couldn't manage cap for shit, so I doubt he is able to get things back in place for 2013 and 2015 cup finals. Bowman traded the right guys away off 2010 and 2013 cup teams and matched the Hjalmarsson offer sheet instead of retaining Niemi

Bowman was also a better drafter than Tallon and had some key trades (Oduya, Leddy, etc) that allowed Hawks to win 2nd/3rd cups

Dale deserves credit for bringing in some pieces, but he just is not a good GM at end of day and would likely have not made right moves to get Panthers to this point

Last edited:

Hidden

Ghost
Dec 11, 2014
Random
Dale deserves credit for bringing in some pieces, but he just is not a good GM at end of day and would likely have not made right moves to get Panthers to this point
Which is why I had the "then got replaced by guy who was better at finishing the job."
In Chigaco it was Bowman and in Florida it was eventually Zito. I have never been fully blind to the fact that Dale isn't the guy who can take you to the finish line.

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Actually, Mike Smith and Bob Pulford laid foundation

Keith (Drafted by Smith)
Seabrook (Drafted by Smith)
Byfuglien (Drafted by Smith)
Crawford (Drafted by Smith)
Burish (Drafted by Smith)
Bolland (Drafted by Pulford)
Bickell (Drafted by Pulford)
Brouwer (Drafted by Pulford)

Dale brought in a few important players including the faces of franchise

Hjalmarsson (Drafted by Tallon)
Toews (Drafted by Tallon)
Kane (Drafted by Tallon)
Sharp (Acquired in trade)
Versteeg (Acquired in trade)
Ladd (Acquired in trade)
Niemi (UDFA)
Hendry (UDFA)
Sopel (FA)
Campbell (FA)

Bowman closed the deal

Hossa (FA)
Kopecky (FA)
Madden (FA)
Boynton (Trade)

2010 Cup team was the work of 4 GM"s coming together as a championship team

But Hawks don't win any cups if Tallon isn't fired since he wanted Havlat extended longterm while Bowman's brought in Hossa

No Hossa = No Cups
Havlat extended longterm = Would have been disaster

Also, Dale couldn't manage cap for shit, so I doubt he is able to get things back in place for 2013 and 2015 cup finals. Bowman traded the right guys away off 2010 and 2013 cup teams and matched the Hjalmarsson offer sheet instead of retaining Niemi

Bowman was also a better drafter than Tallon and had some key trades (Oduya, Leddy, etc) that allowed Hawks to win 2nd/3rd cups

Great summary; I think I’ve read something along the same lines before - DT was not the one to sew together a cup team.

Another thing you say here, which may be a bit early for many Panthers fans… but is critical… Bowman traded away the right guys after the first and second cup to keep it all going. I’m pretty sure Zito will do something similar. He knows whom he wants and will talk to Mo about it. He needs to make some key changes, some not that popular, to keep the cup engine burning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad