Confirmed Buy-Out [DAL] D Ryan Suter bought out by the Stars

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Could he just retire to terminate the contract one year earlier to avoid the humiliation? I know it is the money, right?

Reactions: HabsQC

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Reactions: HabsQC and uncleben

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Today at noon eastern is when buyouts can begin yes?
I think it's tonight around 11pm ("48 hours after Stanley Cup awarded"). However, players without NMCs will have to clear waivers first. Therefore it's today at 11pm for people who have already cleared waivers (basically, nobody) and tomorrow at noon for anybody who is put on waivers today and clears tomorrow.

Anybody plz correct me if that's wrong.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He wasn’t nearly as bad as people here are saying. He had some good moments last couple years. Especially in the playoffs when he can get away his vintage cheapshots. Hell of a career
Over 1400 games and almost 700 points. Was a Norris contender for a few years. Good internationally. I mean, if Weber is a HOFer so is he.

Reactions: HabsQC

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Great career. Can still probably hang around as a vet 6/7 for somebody. I’d be leery about just looking at his TOI last year and thinking “gee he’s still logging minutes, the numbers are still ok looking, he’s still got it”. Probably one of those moments you just need to trust Dallas fans opinion of all those minutes he was playing and how strong the feeling is they can be upgraded very easily.

He may not be quite 2024 Erik Johnson level of washed - but the bottom on these old, old veteran blueliners will fall out in the blink of an eye.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
how did he ever get that long of a deal in Dallas at his age to begin with?

Because the other options at the time of the signing were decidedly worse.

He wasn't bad during the regular season where he could have a partner with fresh legs on his correct side, but he lost that in the playoffs, and he just couldn't keep up.

He wants to keep playing, and he refuses to be the #7 or eat scratches.... which was eventually kind of the problem...

Reactions: DaveG

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm 35, soon 36. I pitched my services to Toronto, but they don't seem interest. Perhaps Dallas will be interested in me ?

I'm cheap, but I'll f***ing eat all of their food.
If there is a team in the NHL that would jump at the chance to sign a 35+ it's Dallas. the worse they can say is they already targeting another one and will double back if that falls through

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nobody could have seen this one coming 😂
Is this man being paid millions by two separate NHL teams not to play hockey?

I guess I’m impressed and admire Suter for this financial achievement.

Drouin made like $800k to put up career highs this past season. Suter making way more to just wake up and go back to bed each morning.

Legend.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
One of Nill's bigger mistakes that he had a roster that required them to lean on Suter for the last two playoffs. They plausibly would have made the final in both years with a better, different defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad