Confirmed Signing with Link: [DAL] Stars re-sign Roope Hintz (3 years, $3.15M AAV)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Good deal for Stars. I'll always remember he was drafted from the Red Wings pick traded for a 36.5 yr. old Eric Cole in '15. Cole went on to play a whopping 11 games for the Wings before having his career ended due to injury.

2015-Mar-01 (Roope Hintz) Draft pick rights traded from Detroit Red Wings with Mattias Janmark-Nylen and Mattias Backman to Dallas Stars for Erik Cole and round 3 pick in the 2015 draft (Vili Saarijarvi)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Good deal for Stars. I'll always remember he was drafted from the Red Wings pick traded for a 36.5 yr. old Eric Cole in '15. Cole went on to play a whopping 11 games for the Wings before having his career ended due to injury.

2015-Mar-01 (Roope Hintz) Draft pick rights traded from Detroit Red Wings with Mattias Janmark-Nylen and Mattias Backman to Dallas Stars for Erik Cole and round 3 pick in the 2015 draft (Vili Saarijarvi)
I was about to post this

The Ghost of Erik Cole for the Hintz pick stings

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I really like this. Has a lot of potential and you can clearly see he’s on the cusp of breaking out. Could definitely see him having a big head this year. Between him and Gurianov, Dallas has a lot of young talent that’s ready to make that next big step.

Reactions: BKarchitect

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

Oooof.

Anyway, Hintz seems to have a very bright future in the league. Happy for him and Dallas.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
To me this is a really solid price for a player like Hintz, and the term's essentially perfect with RFA expiration. I don't think they could have done any better, and so Hintz needs to find a new agent.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Even if we only got Janmark out of the deal it was so great for the Stars. Hintz is icing on the cake.

Evergreen

This seems like a bargain. Hintz looked like the Stars' best player at points this season.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

Saarijarvi, I think, will be a good NHL defender as well. Although his rights are Arizona's now. He's a top3 defender in the Finnish league this season - arguably even the best.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Saarijarvi, I think, will be a good NHL defender as well. Although his rights are Arizona's now. He's a top3 defender in the Finnish league this season - arguably even the best.

Will he ? The Wings traded him for a goalie who is most certainly not NHL caliber and isn't even on the WIngs anymore. Doesn't look like Detroit believed in Saarijarvi

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
To me this is a really solid price for a player like Hintz, and the term's essentially perfect with RFA expiration. I don't think they could have done any better, and so Hintz needs to find a new agent.

True, nothing can ever work out for both teams. Roope couldn't be happy with his huge pay increase and 3 years on a 1 way deal.

Hes what, a 35 point guy who has 2 years experience in the league? A bridge deal is ideal for him so he can collect at the end of it. He's probably ecstatic with this deal, stop painting a negative picture.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It seems that it was important to get Hintz and Gurianov new deals expire in different years. Don't want to potentially have to sign both guys to longer term deals in the same season.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Nah, he hasn’t got what it takes to surpass Valimaki as the best defender in Liiga.

Awesome to see Roope stick around at a great price! Gonna be an integral part as long as Seguin is out with injury.

Reactions: Timani

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Will he ? The Wings traded him for a goalie who is most certainly not NHL caliber and isn't even on the WIngs anymore. Doesn't look like Detroit believed in Saarijarvi
I didn't believe in Hintz when he left Finland. Development isn't linear.

Saarijarvi has taken a big step (for) this season.

Nah, he hasn’t got what it takes to surpass Valimaki as the best defender in Liiga.

Awesome to see Roope stick around at a great price! Gonna be an integral part as long as Seguin is out with injury.
Valimaki actually plays for my "favourite" team in Finland - so if anything I'd be biased in favor of him.

When I say arguably I mean arguably. You can (easily) make a case that Saarijarvi is the best defender in the league. Leads all defensemen in scoring after all, while being the number one guy for the best team in the league.

You can just as easily make a case for Valimaki being the best.

That's what 'arguably' means here.

(Not gonna derail this thread any further - Hintz is a gem.)

GnrlDisarray

Nov 21, 2017
This might low key be one of the best contracts of the off-season. Hintz at his best has an electrifying presence on the ice and has a lot more upside than his current numbers suggest.

Reactions: Kalamazoo Wings

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Good contract in my opinion. Hintz is a decent top-6 winger, ideally in 2nd line. Good wheels and energy with stellar offensive upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad