D Tanner Molendyk - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2023, 24th, NSH)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Can you describe his game for the people? What does he do well and need to work on?
I admittedly don’t know much about him at this point; I remember leading up the the 2020 WHL draft his skating and vision were praised but I don’t know much else about him. You’re a guy I rely on for WHL prospect information; what can you tell me about him?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I admittedly don’t know much about him at this point; I remember leading up the the 2020 WHL draft his skating and vision were praised but I don’t know much else about him. You’re a guy I rely on for WHL prospect information; what can you tell me about him?
Yeah his skating and IQ are his 2 biggest strengths. Wasn't as aggressive last year as I expect he'll be this year as in bantam he loved jumping up and joining the rush. Really good puck skills and puck moving ability along with good reads. Shot is ok but will need some strength which should come as he grows into his body. Pretty good defensively already but has a few positioning issues to iron out...as basically all 15 year olds do. Rhinehart+De La Gorgendiere will be the main 2 guys getting minutes on the back end but would expect Molendyk to be the 3 for them, at least by the end of the year with PP time. Reminds my quite a bit of Ryan Murray just have to hope he doesn't have the same injury problems. Part of the insane looking 23 WHL class which will overshadow this years class

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Looked much better today than the 1st game but tough to take much from the 1st one tbh. More aggressive and jumped up which was similar in stoon. He's definitely a wildcard for me as could be top 10 or if he doesn't become more consistent more of a 3rd rounder

Reactions: Dominance

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Looked much better today than the 1st game but tough to take much from the 1st one tbh. More aggressive and jumped up which was similar in stoon. He's definitely a wildcard for me as could be top 10 or if he doesn't become more consistent more of a 3rd rounder

Yeah I think he's probably more a 2nd rounder guy. There's some ability there but there's also a lot of project work.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Yeah I think he's probably more a 2nd rounder guy. There's some ability there but there's also a lot of project work.
With his mobility he’s going in the first round. His play this year will determine whether its top 15 or top 25. This kid’s a lock to be a top 4 defenceman. Reminds me of a faster Ryan Ellis.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
With his mobility he’s going in the first round. His play this year will determine whether its top 15 or top 25. This kid’s a lock to be a top 4 defenceman. Reminds me of a faster Ryan Ellis.
I can definitely see it. His size worries me a bit however and we have seen a resurgence of size from the backend because of teams like St. Louis and Tampa winning cups in recent years, and to a lesser extent Colorado. I think that it'll work against him come draft day because I don't think he is the next Makar or Hughes. We'll see how things play out however, and I hope he has a big season for Saskatoon.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was really impressed with this guy, and disappointed to see he was only 5'11. I completely overestimated the heights of some of these Canadian players.

I think he's good, but for 5'11 don't know that I feel he's particularly dynamic offensively or shutdown defensively. He's a good prospect though, but late first/early second is more appropriate for me than a potential sleeper to be the first defenseman off the board that I thought he could be when I suspected he was like 6'1 or so.

Reactions: Dominance

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I was really impressed with this guy, and disappointed to see he was only 5'11. I completely overestimated the heights of some of these Canadian players.

I think he's good, but for 5'11 don't know that I feel he's particularly dynamic offensively or shutdown defensively. He's a good prospect though, but late first/early second is more appropriate for me than a potential sleeper to be the first defenseman off the board that I thought he could be when I suspected he was like 6'1 or so.
Similiar to Buchinger in that sense

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
1+2 and first star tonight. I think he is a good target in the late 2nd round
Given his pedigree, I don't see the league letting arguably the best skater in the draft fall that far. I'm not sure how high his offensive ceiling is, but it's easy to picture this kid being a regular with his transition ability both with and without the puck. Defensively he'll be able to kill plays with his feet.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
I don't think his upside is super high, but I'd be surprised if he didn't have an NHL career. I project him as a good bet to be in the range of a #3-#5 defenseman.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

In case anyone wanted to see a ton of defensive plays he made against Bedard

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

In case anyone wanted to see a ton of defensive plays he made against Bedard
Love the write up! Very detailed and provides good information. I have seen a lot of analysis on him and he reminds me a lot of my favorite player Duncan Keith (from the defensive side of things). I really like Molendyk as a prospect and see him getting drafted in the 20's. If he were a bit taller, I think he'd get drafted top 15.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Love the write up! Very detailed and provides good information. I have seen a lot of analysis on him and he reminds me a lot of my favorite player Duncan Keith (from the defensive side of things). I really like Molendyk as a prospect and see him getting drafted in the 20's. If he were a bit taller, I think he'd get drafted top 15.
Thank you! I’m working on the Cagnoni one. Should be out this month

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad