D Leo Sahlin Wallenius - Växjo Lakers, J20 Nationell (2024, 53rd, SJ)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Good two way defender that will be one of the top Swedish defenders for the 2024 draft. Sahlin has a good read for the game, he isn’t afraid to jump into the rush and knows when to pick his spots. He has a good shot and can be good at picking corners when he is given the time and space. His skating isn’t fantastic but it isn‘t going to be something that limits his effectiveness. Has been a staple for the Swedish NT for the past couple seasons and thag should continue in the future.

Should be interesting to see how he progresses moving forward.

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010
Who is the best 2024 eligible dman from Sweden between Sahlin Wallenius, Alfons Freij, Jack Bodin and Edvin Nilsson?

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
He's having himself a tournament, undoubtedly Sweden's best D. Reminds me a lot of Heiskanen in some ways, elite D, very responsive, smooth skating and good enough strength to break up plays with ease, also quite explosive. Can produce offense as well, although not your first PP quarterback.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Yep - best defender by far for the Swedes in the tournament. Looks like a potential top-10 selection in the tournament so far. He has most everything you want to see in a modern day defender, good size, poise, effortless skating, good gaps, and a great defensive stick.

I have very much been impressed with his game. He is going to shoot up draft boards this season.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
He's having himself a tournament, undoubtedly Sweden's best D. Reminds me a lot of Heiskanen in some ways, elite D, very responsive, smooth skating and good enough strength to break up plays with ease, also quite explosive. Can produce offense as well, although not your first PP quarterback.
I liked him from his first shift on. Had never heard of him before, so my first thought was “is he this year’s ASP?” – wears #4, double last name that starts with “Sa..in”, best D on the team that I hadn’t heard about before the Hlinka. :laugh: Not a stylistic comparison, of course.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Yes, I expected him to be the riser this year, him Pettersson and Zetterlund

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I wish there was more talk about this player, in due time, I guess.

He is such a standout in his age group in Sweden, I was really diving into film for Dominik Badinka recently and I kept on noticing Sahlin Wallenius without zeroing in on him during the games. That, in my opinion is a big tell of the talent level of a player, when he stands out when you’re not hawking him.

He is tied for third on his team in scoring as an ‘06 defender when the 3 leading scorers on his team are ‘04 and ‘05 forwards.

He has played for Vaxjo in the Champions League but not yet in the SHL, I am patiently awaiting his debut. It has to happen soon.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
I wish there was more talk about this player, in due time, I guess.

He is such a standout in his age group in Sweden, I was really diving into film for Dominik Badinka recently and I kept on noticing Sahlin Wallenius without zeroing in on him during the games. That, in my opinion is a big tell of the talent level of a player, when he stands out when you’re not hawking him.

He is tied for third on his team in scoring as an ‘06 defender when the 3 leading scorers on his team are ‘04 and ‘05 forwards.

He has played for Vaxjo in the Champions League but not yet in the SHL, I am patiently awaiting his debut. It has to happen soon.
He's a potential lottery-top 20 pick to me as of right now. Hoping he'll get more attention eventually.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He's a potential lottery-top 20 pick to me as of right now. Hoping he'll get more attention eventually.
He’ll get the attention he deserves at some point, usually these Swedish kids don’t get the recognition until late in the year, especially the ones who aren’t playing many SHL games.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
After watching some of the WJAC-U19, I'd say I may have overrated him, unless it was just an unlucky stretch for him. Offensively he looked strong and confident in his game but defensively he looked inconsistent and disengaged and had a few poor turnovers in each game. Not sure exactly where I'd put him based on how much I'd factor his performance in this tournament.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
If you ever wanted to learn more on Wallenius and his game - give this a re

Sahlin Wallenius is a fascinating defensive prospect who plays in the Växjö Lakers system, where he plays for their U20 program. He has seen 2 games up with the men's roster this season, however, these were games in the Champions Hockey League against weaker competition after Vaxjo had cemented a spot in the playoffs. I’m hoping that at some point in the new year, he debuts in the SHL.

Wallenius’ season can be sort of split into two parts, before the 5 Nations tournament in Hämeenlinna, Finland, and after it. Before the tournament, he wasn’t consistently getting on the score sheet for Växjö. Putting up a solid 12 points in 20 games - however, since the 5 nations he has exploded offensively in the J20 where he has had 13 points in 7 games - finally showing consistent offensive output from the blueline.

Internationally Sahlin Wallenius has been very good. He has been Sweden’s #1 or #2 defender at every tournament the U-18 Swedish team has attended this year where along with teammate Alfons Freij, both players have been undoubtedly the two best Swedish skaters in their age group so far this season.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
If you ever wanted to learn more on Wallenius and his game - give this a re

Saw it earlier and I really enjoyed the breakdown. Definitely nailed the essentials of his game. Felt the WJAC soured him for me slightly, not only did he struggle physically but at times he really did not look engaged defensively, as I noted above in the thread.

The most recent J20 game I saw of his I felt a little more comfortable at both ends and defensively solid. The rest of his game feels like the tools for a potential lottery pick, as I felt a few months back. He has a lot of skill and I hope the WJAC was just an off stretch.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Saw it earlier and I really enjoyed the breakdown. Definitely nailed the essentials of his game. Felt the WJAC soured him for me slightly, not only did he struggle physically but at times he really did not look engaged defensively, as I noted above in the thread.

The most recent J20 game I saw of his I felt a little more comfortable at both ends and defensively solid. The rest of his game feels like the tools for a potential lottery pick, as I felt a few months back. He has a lot of skill and I hope the WJAC was just an off stretch.
Thanks for the kind words - and I totally agree with you, that was the worst showing of Wallenius I have seen this year. He was bad in his own end as you pointed out. He lost coverage many times and was particularly bad against the US, where I think 3 of their goals can be directly attributed to Wallenius’ poor play. I went over that in the piece, where he really needs to get better at defending in front of the net, he is rather frail at this stage and he needs to gain some weight to be able along the boards, and in front of his net. I still really like how he defends in transition and against speed, he can more than hold his own there but it’s when he’s matched up against bigger guys with sustained zone pressure that Wallenius struggles. I think he’ll get there, he has time to hit the gym and become stronger. He can keep up and not have to worry much against his age group, but against the older, more physically mature competition At the WJAC he struggled.

Reactions: austin63867

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I watched some J20 games to catch Freij and honestly this guy jumps out quite a bit too. April birthday, and man is he smooth.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Is it me....or does it appear that he never comes off the ice? Got to be logging close to 30 minutes a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00