Confirmed with Link: D.J. Smith Contract Extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The hilarious part of all of this is that the moment anyone calls out the clear problem it's called thread high jacking. If anyone wants to acknowledge the problem it's not allowed to be discussed. The media is literally paid to push a false narrative. No one wants to go to the games no one is invested. It's the opposite of putting the customer first.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
We need to extend him again while he's cheap, otherwise we are going to be competing for his services. The Syracuse Crunch are going to drive up his price.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Should one of DJ Smith or Pierre Dorion be fired in the off-season for this debacle? Discuss.

Dorion needs to go ASAP. Smith I would keep for now and it's easier to change a coach in season.

Teams these days are built in the summer. You don't see big changes mid year, so if the team gets it wrong in the summer then it's basically a lost season before it's begun.

To go with a new GM to make decisions, we need the owner to spend to acquire better players.

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
Dorion needs to go ASAP. Smith I would keep for now and it's easier to change a coach in season.

Teams these days are built in the summer. You don't see big changes mid year, so if the team gets it wrong in the summer then it's basically a lost season before it's begun.

To go with a new GM to make decisions, we need the owner to spend to acquire better players.

That would be logical approach. However, we are a team…

Unfortunately

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
so it’s the universe’s fault and not a single blame on how the team was built and deployed? Excuses galore…this is absolute loser talk

No, there is plenty of blame to go around especially with the GM & who he has brought in, but who knows how his hands are tied by ownership. But those excuses are also facts.

Reactions: Sweatred

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
so it’s the universe’s fault and not a single blame on how the team was built and deployed? Excuses galore…this is absolute loser talk
Exactly. Nobody is ever responsible. It's all just an accident. Total bullshit. Every team deals with issues. Apathy is setting in for me.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
No, there is plenty of blame to go around especially with the GM & who he has brought in, but who knows how his hands are tied by ownership. But those excuses are also facts.
We have always been a budget team. Right from the start. What is different now? Why can't good desicions be made?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We have always been a budget team. Right from the start. What is different now? Why can't good desicions be made?
We all want better players, who knows why exactly they have brought in the players they have & while some potentially could have been better they literally were not. Whether that is because of a lack of money, talent not wanting to come here or incompetence by management is unclear since they never tell us how things come about & all we have is speculation & on ice performance.

There is also the point that since we haven't been a good team for a while why would a good player want to play here when they could be signed by a contender? Then there is the point that some cities are just more attractive for young rich men like NY, Vegas, Chicago, LA, or even the weather can be a factor Arz, Florida, California, even Texas. Ottawa is a nice city for older players with families, which kind of explains older players coming here, but it's not a wild place for young decadent men with money. We should be grateful for the young guys that have signed here long term IMO & want to build a winner here.

Ottawa needs to be a good drafting & development team that overpays to keep their good young players & needs these young guys to be good quickly to have a chance at competing for a cup. Occassionally they have been lucky & gone on a run but the next yr they are back to mediocrity. Once they are good & can compete in the playoffs than I think some of the better UFAs would come here at the deadline for a chance to win a cup, but not before. Just my two cents.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Isn't this a little unfair given all the tribulations they have had to endure this yr moreso than last yr or any other yr in the history of this team? They will have played I believe 17 back to backs this yr is that not the most in their history?

They have had to deal with Covid, the flue, the loss of their three top centres, their best offensive player, their best defenceman a few times, their best goalie, the schedule is brutal this yr & no fans at their games for good portions of the yr or very few. I mean, it's been an unbelievable difficult yr, does that not count for a muligan at the least?
the team sucked right out of the gate and look super unorganized and were not ready to play. The is a huge red flag for me atleast. Even without Batherson and Norris out how much better are we? Are we close to a playoff team? I don't think so

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I hate Melnyk as much as the next guy but he has given Dorion the chance to spend to bring in talent and Dorion has botched it every single time

Murray 6.5
White 4.75
MDZ 2.0
Sanford 2.0

Gudbranson 4.0
Stepan 2.0 (i think?)
Dadanov 5.0
Paquette 1.65
Coburn 1.7

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
the team sucked right out of the gate and look super unorganized and were not ready to play. The is a huge red flag for me atleast. Even without Batherson and Norris out how much better are we? Are we close to a playoff team? I don't think so
We all knew this to start the yr that they weren't going to be a playoff team, right? They had another horrid start to the season, but started playing better & competitive hockey since then, but of course it was too late. This last road trip has been a disaster, but they were competitive against the former SC champions, Vegas & other teams near the top of the league.

Batherson was the best player on the team & even after being out so long he is still 2nd in scoring which shows you how far ahead he was. Norris is also an important player & leads this team in goals even after being out for a while too. Chabot has had a tough yr & goaltending has haunted us all yr long with some great games & some not so great.

They still have too many passengers & too many injuries which they are just starting to get some of their better players back. Hopefully they can unload of few of these passengers leading up to the TDL, but I'm not sure that wll improve the team. They need their good prospects to take a giant step forward sooner rather than later & maybe as the season winds down we will get to see them & evaluate their potential. We have the draft & free agency to look forward to & see whether they can improve the team further but goaltending & specifically Murray's health in my opinion is again the biggest question mark going forward.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I hate Melnyk as much as the next guy but he has given Dorion the chance to spend to bring in talent and Dorion has botched it every single time

Murray 6.5
White 4.75
MDZ 2.0
Sanford 2.0

Gudbranson 4.0
Stepan 2.0 (i think?)
Dadanov 5.0
Paquette 1.65
Coburn 1.7

Idk if Dorion has botched it every time,

The Connor Brown and Batherson contracts are probably two of the better value deals in the league, Zub's deal ideally would have been longer term, but is amazing value for the term we got,

The extension to Holden is good value too imo,

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Idk if Dorion has botched it every time,

The Connor Brown and Batherson contracts are probably two of the better value deals in the league, Zub's deal ideally would have been longer term, but is amazing value for the term we got,

The extension to Holden is good value too imo,
Brown, Batherson and Zub have been RFA contracts though.

Batherson is very good but he got security of term. Brown and Zub I think got fair deals for where they are and what they provided but the UFA deals will be more costly

Holden is a good deal but he is past his prime and is working on retirement deals.

Not trying to downplay what Dorion has done signing wise (I still think Brady is overpaid) but I think RFA contracts are not overly difficult. The real challenges are coming up

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
We all want better players, who knows why exactly they have brought in the players they have & while some potentially could have been better they literally were not. Whether that is because of a lack of money, talent not wanting to come here or incompetence by management is unclear since they never tell us how things come about & all we have is speculation & on ice performance.

There is also the point that since we haven't been a good team for a while why would a good player want to play here when they could be signed by a contender? Then there is the point that some cities are just more attractive for young rich men like NY, Vegas, Chicago, LA, or even the weather can be a factor Arz, Florida, California, even Texas. Ottawa is a nice city for older players with families, which kind of explains older players coming here, but it's not a wild place for young decadent men with money. We should be grateful for the young guys that have signed here long term IMO & want to build a winner here.

Ottawa needs to be a good drafting & development team that overpays to keep their good young players & needs these young guys to be good quickly to have a chance at competing for a cup. Occassionally they have been lucky & gone on a run but the next yr they are back to mediocrity. Once they are good & can compete in the playoffs than I think some of the better UFAs would come here at the deadline for a chance to win a cup, but not before. Just my two cents.
None of this explains why good desicions can't be made on a budget. Sorry.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brown, Batherson and Zub have been RFA contracts though.

Batherson is very good but he got security of term. Brown and Zub I think got fair deals for where they are and what they provided but the UFA deals will be more costly

Holden is a good deal but he is past his prime and is working on retirement deals.

Not trying to downplay what Dorion has done signing wise (I still think Brady is overpaid) but I think RFA contracts are not overly difficult. The real challenges are coming up

Ok, you included White so I assumed you just meant spending in general.

RFA contracts not being difficult, idk the Tkachuks contract seemed to drag out. Credit where it's due, he got great deals on those players, even considering their status.

I say this as someone who has long been critical of Dorion, I just think it's fair to point out the success he's had too.

Reactions: aragorn

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Murray 6.5
White 4.75
MDZ 2.0
Sanford 2.0

Gudbranson 4.0
Stepan 2.0 (i think?)
Dadanov 5.0
Paquette 1.65
Coburn 1.7
Exactly. Look at Dorions history the idiot overpays for low quality players.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Murray 6.5
White 4.75
MDZ 2.0
Sanford 2.0

Gudbranson 4.0
Stepan 2.0 (i think?)
Dadanov 5.0
Paquette 1.65
Coburn 1.7
Murray mistake
White overpay
MDZ dumbfounded
Sanford no issues with that - placeholder

Gudbranson- 1 year placeholder so I don’t care
Stepan brutal because of the pick
Dadonov good try and resolved
Paquette and Coburn good move - saved money and got a pick

3 big mistakes. 1 good move that was minor. Not a good track record for sure.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Murray 6.5
White 4.75
MDZ 2.0
Sanford 2.0

Gudbranson 4.0
Stepan 2.0 (i think?)
Dadanov 5.0
Paquette 1.65
Coburn 1.7

Holy shit i forgot about Zaitzev

i guess we got Brown for him but that was a massive contract to take on for just brown

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Although I am not yet anti-Smith, his refusal to change things up on D is going to cost him his job. Rightly or wrongly, the coach is always the first scapegoat when a sports team is underperforming.

Who knows if he returns next season, but it makes no sense to fire him at this point in the season.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad