WJC: Czech Republic at the 2011 WJC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Goaltenders:
Marek Mazanec (HC Plzeň 1929)
Filip Novotný (HC Sparta Praha)

Defensemen:
Oldřich Horák (HC VCES Hradec Králové)
Bohumil Jank (HC MOUNTFIELD České Budějovice)
Jakub Jeřábek (HC Plzeň 1929)
Martin Pláněk (HC Orli Znojmo)
Dalibor Řezníček (HC PSG Zlín)
Adam Sedlák (Ottawa 67's, OHL)
Petr Šenkeřík (HC Kometa Brno)

Forwards:
Jakub Culek (Rimouski Océanic, QMJHL)
Martin Frk (Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL)
Michal Hlinka (HC Vítkovice Steel)
Petr Holík (HC PSG Zlín)
Antonín Honejsek (Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL)
Roman Horák (Chilliwack Bruins, WHL)
Andrej Nestrašil (PEI Rocket, QMJHL)
Jakub Orsava (HC Oceláři Třinec)
Ondřej Palát (Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL)
Tomáš Rachůnek (HC Orli Znojmo)
Robin Soudek (Chilliwack Bruins, WHL)
Petr Straka (Rimouski Océanic, QMJHL)
David Tůma (HC Sparta Praha)

Last edited:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think the Czech's will have a very solid team this year at the WJC. I'm not sure that they are a true candidate for the gold medal, but I think they could push for the bronze this year.

I think the team will look like this:

Mrazek
Mazanec
Novotny

Musil-Jerabek
Polasek-Jank
Kousalik-Sedlak
Hrbas

Horak-Nestrasil-Palat
Straka-Honejsek-Frk
Poletin-Culek-Filippi
Tuma-Soudek-Hlinka
Orsava

I noticed Janskin isn't on the list? Is there a chance he'll be a late invite? Honestly I thought he'd make the team.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I think the Czech's will have a very solid team this year at the WJC. I'm not sure that they are a true candidate for the gold medal, but I think they could push for the bronze this year.

Mrazek
Mazanec
Novotny

Musil-Jerabek
Polasek-Jank
Kousalik-Sedlak
Hrbas

Horak-Nestrasil-Palat
Straka-Honejsek-Frk
Poletin-Culek-Filippi
Tuma-Soudek-Hlinka
Orsava

I noticed Janskin isn't on the list? Is there a chance he'll be a late invite? Honestly I thought he'd make the team.
Jaškin or Jaskin is injured

I think it is only a typo

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Jaškin is injured until early January or so, otherwise he would be lock. Situation of Mrázek and Polášek still isn´t clear. Czech federation together with their agent are trying to solve legal problems they had with their youth club, but there is still real possibility they won´t be allowed to play at WJC...

zorz

Mar 8, 2010

Mrazek
Mazanec
Novotny

Musil-Jerabek
Polasek-Jank
Kousalik-Sedlak
Hrbas

Horak-Nestrasil-Palat
Straka-Honejsek-Frk
Poletin-Culek-Filippi
Tuma-Soudek-Hlinka
Orsava

Speaking about the roster - I won´t try to predict lines, but from those you didn´t mention I think Řezníček and Holík have also very high chances to make the team.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Jaškin or Jaskin is injured

I think it is only a typo

Yes it is a typo. Sorry, I know his name is Dimitrij Jaskin.

Jaškin is injured until early January or so, otherwise he would be lock. Situation of Mrázek and Polášek still isn´t clear. Czech federation together with their agent are trying to solve legal problems they had with their youth club, but there is still real possibility they won´t be allowed to play at WJC...

It's unfortunate that these guys may not be able to play. These two would both be fairly big additions to the Czech team.

I'm surprised Denis Kindl wasn't invited. Is their any reason for this? Same thing as Polasek and Mrazek?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
It's unfortunate that these guys may not be able to play. These two would both be fairly big additions to the Czech team.

I'm surprised Denis Kindl wasn't invited. Is their any reason for this? Same thing as Polasek and Mrazek?

No, these two are the only players with such problem. I don´t know about Kindl - Jiri Fischer, who´s working as assistant coach, was following players in CHL for most of the season, so it was probably his responsibility to choose those who would be an improvement for the team.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Selection camp roster was announced today. These players were removed from the list: Galanský, Hrubec, Král, Jank, Kousalík, Sova, Zacpálek, Havlík, Marosz, Poletín, Å lahař, Vachovec, Vondráček. But still some of them could be added back if somebody gets injured during the camp or something like that.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Is Mrazek on the team? I heard he had some problems when leaving to North America and one of the guys choosing this years Czech team is his ex-GM(?) from back home who doesn't want to choose him? Is this true or do I have totally wrong info? :D

If Jiri Fischer is the Assistant Coach, you'd think he's seen Mrazek play, because he does work for Detroit after all.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Is Mrazek on the team? I heard he had some problems when leaving to North America and one of the guys choosing this years Czech team is his ex-GM(?) from back home who doesn't want to choose him? Is this true or do I have totally wrong info? :D

If Jiri Fischer is the Assistant Coach, you'd think he's seen Mrazek play, because he does work for Detroit after all.

I´m not sure who you are talking about, but you probably have wrong info. Nevertheless there is still some complicated legal problem, which needs to be solved somehow and management of czech U20 is working on it. Now he´s not on the team, just in the camp. Final roster should be announced after exhibition games on 23rd of December. But I think we will know earlier if Mrázek can play or cannot play.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Mrázek and Polášek can´t play there. Their mother club has legal right to ban them from the tournament and they just won´t allow them to play. So today they were replaced with Galanský and Jank in the upcoming camp.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Mrázek and Polášek can´t play there. Their mother club has legal right to ban them from the tournament and they just won´t allow them to play. So today they were replaced with Galanský and Jank in the upcoming camp.

Wow, that sucks. That's a pretty big blow to the team. This is Polasek's last year of eligibility too.

Hamilton35

Jan 21, 2009
Smart move on Mrazek...

Dont take a goalie who faces over 35 shots a game in the O when youre in a division with Canada russia and Sweden.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Smart move on Mrazek...

Dont take a goalie who faces over 35 shots a game in the O when youre in a division with Canada russia and Sweden.

It wasn't their choice. He was blocked from entering the tournament by his former Czech club because he left in the middle of his contract to play in the OHL. Same thing happened with Polasek, which is why neither can apparently play in the tournament.

It sucks for the U-20 National Team, but the club team won't let him and the IIHF has to honour that.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Does anybody have some info about David Musil? I think he didn´t play last 2 games of Giants and I´ve also catched somewhere he left the game before for some reason... is that something serious? :help:

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Does anybody have some info about David Musil? I think he didn´t play last 2 games of Giants and I´ve also catched somewhere he left the game before for some reason... is that something serious? :help:

I haven't heard anything, but if he's out the Czech's could be in trouble. Missing Mrazek and Polasek will weaken the team enough, but without Musil things could get messy. I hope he's ok. I haven't heard anything, but I'll let you know if I do.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I haven't heard anything, but if he's out the Czech's could be in trouble. Missing Mrazek and Polasek will weaken the team enough, but without Musil things could get messy. I hope he's ok. I haven't heard anything, but I'll let you know if I do.

omg, I found it: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Brief/3950121/story.html

ANOTHER GIANT DROPS ON BLUE-LINE

The Vancouver Giants, ravaged by injuries all season, have another one as stalwart defenceman David Musil is out for an undetermined period of time with a hairline fracture on the fibula of his right leg. Musil was hurt early in the second period Tuesday when he blocked a shot off the stick of Kamloops Blazer captain Chase Schaber. The injury leaves in doubt whether Musil, 17, will be able to play for the Czech Republic at the world junior tournament that begins Boxing Day.

:banghead: together with Mrazek, Polasek and Jaskin, this would be 4th important guy out for various reasons. Not trying to find any excuses, but it sucks big time.

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
Does Culek really have a shot at making it? He's got a decent ceiling but right now he's playing very meh in the Q and even though he's been drafted he's relatively a young guy. I would think the Czechs would have better options?

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Does Culek really have a shot at making it? He's got a decent ceiling but right now he's playing very meh in the Q and even though he's been drafted he's relatively a young guy. I would think the Czechs would have better options?

He has a shot - he´s definitely not key player here, but maybe they would want him to get that experience especially for the next years WJC. But we will see after the camp.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
omg, I found it: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Brief/3950121/story.html

:banghead: together with Mrazek, Polasek and Jaskin, this would be 4th important guy out for various reasons. Not trying to find any excuses, but it sucks big time.

Wow, that is some bad luck. With the 4 guys that you mentioned out of the lineup, this could be devestating to the Czech team. They would all be key guys who could be game breakers for them. This is just terrible for the Czech Republic. I thought they would be an underdog this year and had a chance for a medal, but with their whole first defense pairing unable to participate, that means instead of those guys eating up big minutes, other weaker players will have to step in to do so. While also missing their top goalie and one of their top forwards, I just can't see them doing very well. It's unfortunate too, because this could be one of the best Czech junior teams in years.

Culek should make the team as the 3rd line center. He is a big body that the team will need and since he plays a good two-way game, I can see him being used to shut down the top lines of Canada, Sweden and Russia. Honestly, I don't think there is a chance that he gets cut. His size and two-way ability will be huge for this team.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I really hope Musil is able to play in the tournament, the Czechs have lost too many players as it is.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Wow, that is some bad luck. With the 4 guys that you mentioned out of the lineup, this could be devestating to the Czech team. They would all be key guys who could be game breakers for them. This is just terrible for the Czech Republic. I thought they would be an underdog this year and had a chance for a medal, but with their whole first defense pairing unable to participate, that means instead of those guys eating up big minutes, other weaker players will have to step in to do so. While also missing their top goalie and one of their top forwards, I just can't see them doing very well. It's unfortunate too, because this could be one of the best Czech junior teams in years.

Culek should make the team as the 3rd line center. He is a big body that the team will need and since he plays a good two-way game, I can see him being used to shut down the top lines of Canada, Sweden and Russia. Honestly, I don't think there is a chance that he gets cut. His size and two-way ability will be huge for this team.

No offense to the Czech team and it´s qualities, but even with all those 4 players available, if you considered them a possible underdog who might wind up with a medal, whom did you see them sending to the relegation round (asides from Norway)? Canada? Sweden? Russia? Even their chances of making the quarterfinals this time around are slim (although of course they do exist). This is by far not a bad team and who knows with different opponents, but the Czechs screwed it up for themselves last year in the game against the Finns, which pretty much got them into this group.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
No offense to the Czech team and it´s qualities, but even with all those 4 players available, if you considered them a possible underdog who might wind up with a medal, whom did you see them sending to the relegation round (asides from Norway)? Canada? Sweden? Russia? Even their chances of making the quarterfinals this time around are slim (although of course they do exist). This is by far not a bad team and who knows with different opponents, but the Czechs screwed it up for themselves last year in the game against the Finns, which pretty much got them into this group.

It´s not only about who´s overall better team or about winning a series... it´s about winning 1 game and I think there is pretty solid chance you can win 1 of 3 games even against better opponents, which gives you good chance to advance in this tournament.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
It´s not only about who´s overall better team or about winning a series... it´s about winning 1 game and I think there is pretty solid chance you can win 1 of 3 games even against better opponents, which gives you good chance to advance in this tournament.

With all respect I disagree, when you´re in a situation like Slovakia in 2009 or Switzerland 2010, where all you have to do is beat an average opponent like Finland was in 2009 or Slovakia last year and who have only slim chances of stealing any points from the strongest teams in the group, then yeah all you need is win that one game (plus that one game with the weakest team of course). However here we are talking about facing three absolute top class teams- when was the last time that Canada or Sweden ended up without a medal yet alone didn´t make it to the top 6 at this tournament? And Russia might have had a weaker year last year, but that will only make them come back hungrier. So in order to make it through in a group with the team with the by far greatest depth at this level and two teams filled with players playing in the top two European men´s league, you need by far more than just to win one game. You need a miracle- after all it´s impssoible to predict that any of those teams that would potentially lose against the Czechs wouldn´t get any points from the other two top seeded teams. Of course, it´s possible for the Czechs to make it to the quarterfinals, but asides that win they would need a number of other circumstances to work out for them. But we will see.

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
It wasn't their choice. He was blocked from entering the tournament by his former Czech club because he left in the middle of his contract to play in the OHL. Same thing happened with Polasek, which is why neither can apparently play in the tournament.

It sucks for the U-20 National Team, but the club team won't let him and the IIHF has to honour that.

Mrazek and Polasek didn´t left in the middle of their contracts. They had left when their contract fell in and they refused to extend it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad