Signing(s): Cubs sign Ben Zobrist (4 years/56 M)

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
That $56 mil doesn't quite reach that $80 mil. Good dollars. That said, 4 years is a pretty long term for the 34 year old.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
He was integral to the Royals' title this season...if he helps bring one to the Cubs at some point, I'm all for it. This is the one contender outside of KC that I'm at peace with him leaving to. Don't have to face him in the AL, don't have to see him wearing Cardinals red, don't have to see him wearing a Mets uniform on opening day, doesn't appear to be a purely monetary grab. Don't get me wrong, Ben's doing more than alright for himself here but I could see him knocking a million or two per year to chase history and another title at Wrigley.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
That $56 mil doesn't quite reach that $80 mil. Good dollars. That said, 4 years is a pretty long term for the 34 year old.

Yeah, but at that price it isn't a big deal. Zobrist also seems like the type of player that won't really decline too much with age. But even still you can probably expect two good years, one decent year and one not so great year. For 14 mil per year you're doing alright in this market. Beltran got 3/45 at age 37 a few years ago. The corpse of Michael Cuddyer is making 12.5 mil this year.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
So glad the Mets lost this one, wanted no part of a guy at age 35 who couldn't play defense last year

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Decent add. I'm not sure if the roster stays the same he's the missing link though. He definitely helps them. No wonder why I saw a rumor of Castro to the Yankees. Now it makes sense.

The NY media is bummed. SNY kept talking for a week how it seemed like a lock he'd be a met. Guess they were banking their off season off of him.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Damn, are the Royals really that cheap thaf they didn't even attempt to keep him?

Our TV deal is atrocious compared to what other teams are getting, we've got more than a few holes to plug and we have the dead weight of Omar Infante sucking up second base dollars. And Gordon is the priority (still not sure that can happen though).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Damn, are the Royals really that cheap thaf they didn't even attempt to keep him?

Theyve never really spent big dollars on free agents like that, look at Shields last year. Its usually in the 10-35 million range, i.e Soria, Morales, Volquez etc. Even tho their owner is a billionaire.

Sep 19, 2008
Mets fans insisted they'd get zovrist and he'd help when Murphy and ces left

Wonder what Sandy does noe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad