Craig’s List: James "Anze Kopitar 2" Hagens the early favourite for No. 1 in 2025

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Craig Button's Draft list for September. And yes, he compares Hagens to Kopitar. :laugh:

It's a standard list but he has some weird fascination with Cameron Schmidt. I don't think Schmidt will be anywhere near the 1st round, let alone 12th.

Craig’s List: James Hagens the early favourite for No. 1 in 2025 NHL Draft | TSN
I'm one of Schmidt's biggest supporters around here and I think that he might become what I thought Gilbert Brule would be without the injuries and distractions.

But 12 is just unrealistic IMO.

Reactions: Briser la glace

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
I'm one of Schmidt's biggest supporters around here and I think that he might become what I thought Gilbert Brule would be without the injuries and distractions.

But 12 is just unrealistic IMO.

I'm usually with you on most players, but I just don't see Schmidt getting a look, unless he grows 3 more inches. He's 5'7 or 5'8 depending on whatever site. And 156 lbs. That's just too small.

Brule was built differently though. He was compact, and hit everything in site.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I'm usually with you on most players, but I just don't see Schmidt getting a look, unless he grows 3 more inches. He's 5'7 or 5'8 depending on whatever site. And 156 lbs. That's just too small.
That's fair but I think he might be that small guy that's the exception but I know that most small guys simply don't pan out.

Brule was built differently though. He was compact, and hit everything in site.
But even after what I wrote above both guys excitement me in the same way as prospects with an explosive element to their games.

Schmidt just seems to one of those guys that has "it".

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
That's fair but I think he might be that small guy that's the exception but I know that most small guys simply don't pan out.

But even after what I wrote above both guys excitement me in the same way as prospects with an explosive element to their games.

Schmidt just seems to one of those guys that has "it".

As a fellow Giants fan, I agree he is an exciting player to watch at the junior level. But being that small, you either have to outscore your fellow draftees by a LARGE margin, or offer something else in terms of toughness/grit like Brendan Gallagher or Theo Fleury.

Reactions: wetcoast

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Craig Button's Draft list for September. And yes, he compares Hagens to Kopitar. :laugh:

It's a standard list but he has some weird fascination with Cameron Schmidt. I don't think Schmidt will be anywhere near the 1st round, let alone 12th.

Craig’s List: James Hagens the early favourite for No. 1 in 2025 NHL Draft | TSN
I guess he had a good firsr few games with the Giants but I really dislike the way he played at Hlinka, hothead penalties, tunnel vision, low hockey IQ. Good motor though

Also Pavel can chime in as he watches the USHL a lot more than I do but 32 seems WAYYYY too high for Morin

Reactions: Bubbles

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another "Moore and Trethewey" list for the NTDP because "highpointtotalzz" last season, even though they are nowhere as good as the totals suggest.

He'll see eventually.

I guess he had a good firsr few games with the Giants but I really dislike the way he played at Hlinka, hothead penalties, tunnel vision, low hockey IQ. Good motor though

Also Pavel can chime in as he watches the USHL a lot more than I do but 32 seems WAYYYY too high for Morin
No way he's a first going into the year. I don't even think second seems that highly.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Another "Moore and Trethewey" list for the NTDP because "highpointtotalzz" last season, even though they are nowhere as good as the totals suggest.

He'll see eventually.
It feels like these pre-season lists are almost obliged to put someone from the NTDP in the top-15 every year just because it's the NTDP. Sometimes it works out (Will Smith/Ryan Leonard) but this could legitimately be a year where we don't see anyone from the U18's get picked in the first round.

If we're going to go with hyperbolic Hagens comparisons, I like Datsyuk more than Kopitar.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It feels like these pre-season lists are almost obliged to put someone from the NTDP in the top-15 every year just because it's the NTDP. Sometimes it works out (Will Smith/Ryan Leonard) but this could legitimately be a year where we don't see anyone from the U18's get picked in the first round.
Yeah, I guess, but there's often worries about this. I really don't see much reason to worry. I think there's a number of guys who could be first rounders (Moore, Trethewey, Amico, Mooney, Fondrk, Murtagh, McKinney). It just seems so unlikely that the odds are such that none of those seven make the first round. I think it'll be at least 1 or 2. I personally think a lot of the early prognostications are putting the wrong guys in that first round.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don't know, I see Hagens as a Jack Hughes clone personally. Kopitar has like 4 to 6 inches on him as well, hard to say he will be able to have the same impact.

You know while at first I was like “lol what?” - but I give him credit here for thinking a bit outside the box with that comp and highlighting what an all-around player Hagens is.

I think he doesn’t really say or linger on the part you are supposed to infer - he means purely stylistically, not physical package. I totally agree that there is an NHL projection difference between being intelligent, active and determined defensive center when you are sub-6’ versus a 6-4 Goliath.

Maybe a guy like Seb Aho (potentially souped up and a bit stronger - I think Hagens is going to be a thicker and “stronger base” player when he gets to the NHL) would be a better potential usage comp if you want to lean into the dogged, intelligent defensive game as a smaller star center.

Of course Hughes is gonna be the go to comp for everybody especially if Hagens lights it up offensively this year but I think that misses some of the nuances of Hagens game (and perhaps boosts some areas that aren’t quite Hughes level).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Of course Hughes is gonna be the go to comp for everybody especially if Hagens lights it up offensively this year but I think that misses some of the nuances of Hagens game (and perhaps boosts some areas that aren’t quite Hughes level).
I don't think Hagens is as good of a skater or offensively gifted as Jack is, but as you mentioned, he should come away more stockier and more well-rounded. With that said, I could still see him becoming an offensive powerhouse akin to Hughes where he has the skill to dish the puck and score. I might be biased though because I am a big fan of the 2025 draft, especially over last year. If we want to talk about style comparison, I think Crosby is better than using Anze who's height is a physical gift.

Reactions: BKarchitect

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
If we want to talk about style comparison, I think Crosby is better than using Anze who's height is a physical gift.
I don't hate the Crosby (stylistic) comparison, especially in that the proportions of offensive ability to defensive ability are about right and he's the right height. But Crosby is a bit more of a grinder than Hagens currently is (although I could see Hagens adapting his game as he gets to higher levels).

Reactions: S E P H

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Hagens is hard to come up with a comparison for, so I can see why they went with Kopitar.
Yeah, people love to compare him to Hughes because they're both smaller, high skilled C's out of the NTDP, but honestly I don't think their games are that similar.

He plays a lot more like Brayden Point, as a guy that is more than willing to lay the puck off and go find open ice in a dangerous area than a guy like Jack, who typically likes to hold the puck and skate circles around the zone, until a seam pass for a tap in or a lane to the crease opens up. (And like Point, despite his size he's more than capable of holding his own in his own zone)

But even that's an imperfect comparison, as I think Hagens is a little better playmaker with a little worse shot than Point.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't hate the Crosby (stylistic) comparison, especially in that the proportions of offensive ability to defensive ability are about right and he's the right height. But Crosby is a bit more of a grinder than Hagens currently is (although I could see Hagens adapting his game as he gets to higher levels).
Yeah, that's why I originally stuck with my Jack Hughes clone personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad