Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Name Rick Tocchet as Head Coach

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Goose was fine. He suffered from the same problem OEL had all year, a 3RHD partner. Goose and OEL had to make up for their partners non-stop, couldn't really play their game. OEL's problem got solved with Chalmers, still waiting for Goose to get a decent partner. RHD's we have now are 3RHD's at best.

I agree, and I wonder if they move Gogo to the RD and have Chychrun as his partner?

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Tocchet warns young Coyotes: 'Winning hurts'

"It's a process, inch by inch by day. This isn't an overnight thing, so I think you gotta enjoy the process. It's gonna hurt. Most of my text messages to most guys are, 'Winning hurts. It's gonna hurt. It's gonna be tough. It's gonna hurt. But at the end of the day, there's no better feeling.' So that's kind of my motto I try to preach to these kids."

"I told them it's imperative that they come into camp in great shape because the style we're going to play, you're going to have to be able to skate and gotta be relentless and you're going to have to be on top of the puck," he said.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1342303-tocchet-warns-young-coyotes-winning-hurts

A little insight into Tocc's playing style.

Van Ryn made similar remarks last week:

We'll basically be playing what [the Coyotes] play; the special teams might be a bit different. [Rick Tocchet] and I will talk about that, exactly what he wants, but I'm pretty sure as of right now, we're to mimic what they're doing.

If you've listened to [Tocchet} talk, he's all about a fast, exciting, puck possession game with a lot of puck pursuit and a relentless attitude, and that's a fun brand of hockey, that's an offensively driven system where you're pressuring teams and forcing them into mistakes, and basically you're just trying to overwhelm them, and to an extent, you're almost trying to steal the other team's confidence.

It's fun to coach that way, and it's also fun to play that way, and I think when your players are having fun playing a system, that's when you get the most buy-in, and I see that happening for us.

http://www.tucsonroadrunners.com/news/roadrunners-news/index.html?article_id=514

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Sounds good to me (the philosophy and style of play), but I can't say I'd like to receive texts from my boss in the off-season (summer for me as a college professor) telling me to keep my pedagogical skills honed :)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
As much as I wanted to see another season of us passively standing around and waiting for the game to come to us, hemmed in our own zone for five minute increments and outshot 42-16, I will give Tocchet a chance with this.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Skate, skate, skate, pressure and pressure some more exactly how the game should be played!

Love that he's telling them to come in conditioned, no point wasting time.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
As much as I wanted to see another season of us passively standing around and waiting for the game to come to us, hemmed in our own zone for five minute increments and outshot 42-16, I will give Tocchet a chance with this.

I agree. It definitely seems like a promising approach (a fast game) if it works, but that may put some of our players (Strome, Goligoski, McGinn, Richardson, Crouse, Schenn, Cousins, and Hjalms) at a disadvantage. We definitely need a few more speedster forwards and a speedy D-man to make it work. Of course, I suppose the "slower" players can relatively easily adjust to it.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I agree. It definitely seems like a promising approach (a fast game) if it works, but that may put some of our players (Strome, Goligoski, McGinn, Richardson, Crouse, Schenn, Cousins, and Hjalms) at a disadvantage. We definitely need a few more speedster forwards and a speedy D-man to make it work. Of course, I suppose the "slower" players can relatively easily adjust to it.

Think 'third man high', can still be utilized in a fast game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sounds good to me (the philosophy and style of play), but I can't say I'd like to receive texts from my boss in the off-season (summer for me as a college professor) telling me to keep my pedagogical skills honed :)

If you are serious as a player and want to play in the NHL, which these kids do, they have no problem receiving texts from the coaching staff.
Skate, skate, skate, pressure and pressure some more exactly how the game should be played!

Love that he's telling them to come in conditioned, no point wasting time.

IF he has to tell these kids to come to camp in condition, we are in trouble. These kids practice and train almost 12 months of the year.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Maybe, but then 4LHD's in our top 4, and Chychrun might not be ready.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of having 4 LHD's in the top 4 either, but I'm all for playing the best players the most minutes. At least both guys that would be playing the right side have experience there and have had success there before. Not worried about Chych playing up there at all though...I think he's ready for those minutes.

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB

I think it's an introduction but also a new culture of caring and expectations :)

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Looks good in the brochure...

I wouldn't even attempt this gig with my obvious marketing genius! :sarcasm:

If you are serious as a player and want to play in the NHL, which these kids do, they have no problem receiving texts from the coaching staff.
IF he has to tell these kids to come to camp in condition, we are in trouble. These kids practice and train almost 12 months of the year.

Don't be a tool, it's a mindset. Everyone knows they're in shape.

Except your favorite 3rd overall, last season :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wouldn't even attempt this gig with my obvious marketing genius! :sarcasm:

Don't be a tool, it's a mindset. Everyone knows they're in shape.

Except your favorite 3rd overall, last season :)

You are right about Strome last training camp. He came in over confident and had his a-- handed to him on a platter. I believe you will see a much different player this training camp.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

We actually have a ton of speed on our team. If you've ever watched the opponent feeds they always go over how much speed our team has.

Crouse also has good speed and I don't mean for his size, Crouse has good speed in general.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Might not be ready? Did we watch different Chickens last year?

I think he can handle it, but he did have his ups and downs last year, which is to be expected, and this year other teams know what to expect from him so he will have to adjust m ore than last year. I just hope he doesn't hit that jinx.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Might not be ready? Did we watch different Chickens last year?

I like Chychrun but he had limited minutes, played against 3rd and 4th lines all year, and was healthy scratched for a number of games. He has potential but still has a lot to learn. if he steps into a top 4 role, he will face first and second lines way more often, so they can't hide him and he can't make mistakes. I hope he has a second year like OEL did, but the verdict is still out.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I like Chychrun but he had limited minutes, played against 3rd and 4th lines all year, and was healthy scratched for a number of games. He has potential but still has a lot to learn. if he steps into a top 4 role, he will face first and second lines way more often, so they can't hide him and he can't make mistakes. I hope he has a second year like OEL did, but the verdict is still out.

This is an expected concern for every single young player who moves from AHL to limited NHL time to full time starter expected to make a large contribution. It's all part of a rebuild.

At some point the young players have to make the leap.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is an expected concern for every single young player who moves from AHL to limited NHL time to full time starter expected to make a large contribution. It's all part of a rebuild.

At some point the young players have to make the leap.

Correct, except Chick made the jump from junior to the NHL and was the youngest Dman in the league last year playing the hardest position. I expect Chick to have more growing pains this year as teams now have a read on him. If he can adapt, and I think he will, he will continue to progress.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Correct, except Chick made the jump from junior to the NHL and was the youngest Dman in the league last year playing the hardest position. I expect Chick to have more growing pains this year as teams now have a read on him. If he can adapt, and I think he will, he will continue to progress.

I don't have high expectations for Chychrun this season (although I won't complain if he has a banner year) and hope he settles in to the #3 LD position for most of the season (barring injuries). Then, we can look at him moving up in 2018-2019 if he does relatively well this in 2017-2018
OEL - Hjalms
Goligoski - NEW/Schenn
Chychrun - Clandening/Connauton​

While Schenn is closer to a #3 RD, imo he deserves to start the season at #2 if we don't add another D-man. Of course I'd rather acquire a #2 RHD and let Clandening and Schenn duke it out (or rotate in depending on opponent faced) for the #3 RD spot

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I don't have high expectations for Chychrun this season (although I won't complain if he has a banner year) and hope he settles in to the #3 LD position for most of the season (barring injuries). Then, we can look at him moving up in 2018-2019 if he does relatively well this in 2017-2018
OEL - Hjalms
Goligoski - NEW/Schenn
Chychrun - Clandening/Connauton​

While Schenn is closer to a #3 RD, imo he deserves to start the season at #2 if we don't add another D-man. Of course I'd rather acquire a #2 RHD and let Clandening and Schenn duke it out (or rotate in depending on opponent faced) for the #3 RD spot

To me (as it stands now) that's the line up and while there is nothing wrong with Schenn @ #2, I agree a true #2 is the need.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I'd like to add a little more speed to our lineup for sure. The more speed we have, the more the other team will be forced to play at a pace that makes them uncomfortable, which will then cause them to make mistakes, allowing us to capitalize.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad