Confirmed with Link: Coyotes acquire rights to D Alex Goligoski

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just a thought, but if we give him a terrible contract as part of our "aggressive" attempt to improve quickly (and quickly hit the floor instead of taking on someone else's cap casualties so they can improve via free agency/trade), you really don't have to protect him for the expansion draft. You can basically dare them to take him. Also would help reach any cap percentage issues in the X-Draft. All obviously assuming they are willing to burn a bunch of money to immediately improve and validate their hirings/firings (and they just might be).

What you consider a terrible contract, and what the Coyotes consider a terrible contract are probably two different things. :)

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
If we offer him a NMC then we go from a team that is primed to clean up before the X-draft, to a team that has filled all their slots.

Yeah but this would be cleaning up because of expansion a year early. He is exactly the type of player you steal from a team because of this situation. No one expected him to hit market and his asking price plus the expansion draft is the reason he is. We'd still have a spot to protect one more player if you don't mind exposing Martinook.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
That's a pretty inaccurate statement in my mind. Shatt has great offensive and puck moving ability, but if you look at his numbers the past few seasons they are by no means off the charts playing on a solid team. He's put up 44 points three years in a row which is great, but Yandle was consistently putting up 10 or more points per year when he was getting top minutes on a worse team. Shatt plays a way more polished two way game than Yandle from what i've watched, and can handle matching up against top players...especially if he's playing with a guy like OEL to handle the heavy lifting.
He's not better defensively than Yandle.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He's not better defensively than Yandle.

Shattenkirk had a period between 2014 and 2015 where I considered him better defensively. He's fallen off that since. Is he going to return to that or was that a peak? I'm inclined to think it was a peak but who knows, he's still relatively young.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
goli apparently wants $5.5M per. Should be a short negotiation if u can convince him on Phoenix.

I would think top four D would get that handily. He should wait and test the market (I hope we'd just sign him if that's what he's after).

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I would think top four D would get that handily. He should wait and test the market (I hope we'd just sign him if that's what he's after).
i think that's what'll happen. No reason for Goligoski not to do that...unless AZ makes a take it or leave it offer....in which case Goligoski probably passes.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What you consider a terrible contract, and what the Coyotes consider a terrible contract are probably two different things. :)

~7.5M/4yr

Something I would think was clearly healthy over payment.

They reach to lock him up and stay flexible at the XDraft. If they still don't have anyone better to protect by next summer, then they always can protect him. But that would let you protect a Trouba-like acquisition as well, if they can chase one, exposing the bad contract instead.

They care a lot about optics. Too much, imo. Everything is done to maximize curb appeal. If they are willing to dump money in the machine to drag GMDT to the playoffs and pat themselves on the back ("we told you we have money to spend", "we told you we were close to the playoffsnif we were more aggressive"), this would be one way to do it.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
i think that's what'll happen. No reason for Goligoski not to do that...unless AZ makes a take it or leave it offer....in which case Goligoski probably passes.

The reason he does it is because it is an offer that meets his objectives. The coyotes tell him it expires before the UFA period starts. Gogo has risk in that he might not see the same offer or better as a UFA or the same situation. If he does not want to sign in Arizona for any reason or the terms are not good enough, he could pass and test the market. I expect that the Coyotes know he is open to coming to Arizona and that they know the terms he was asking for from Dallas. If they offer him the same terms he was asking for, plus maybe a little bit more, that should do it, if he does not have reservations about Arizona/team staying, etc...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
~7.5M/4yr

Something I would think was clearly healthy over payment.

They reach to lock him up and stay flexible at the XDraft. If they still don't have anyone better to protect by next summer, then they always can protect him. But that would let you protect a Trouba-like acquisition as well, if they can chase one, exposing the bad contract instead.

They care a lot about optics. Too much, imo. Everything is done to maximize curb appeal. If they are willing to dump money in the machine to drag GMDT to the playoffs and pat themselves on the back ("we told you we have money to spend", "we told you we were close to the playoffsnif we were more aggressive"), this would be one way to do it.

Gologoski won't get that contract from any team and he knows it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The reason he does it is because it is an offer that meets his objectives. The coyotes tell him it expires before the UFA period starts. Gogo has risk in that he might not see the same offer or better as a UFA or the same situation. If he does not want to sign in Arizona for any reason or the terms are not good enough, he could pass and test the market. I expect that the Coyotes know he is open to coming to Arizona and that they know the terms he was asking for from Dallas. If they offer him the same terms he was asking for, plus maybe a little bit more, that should do it, if he does not have reservations about Arizona/team staying, etc...

I agree. I think the Coyotes have a very good shot at signing Gologoski, and if decides to test the market, at least we know we tried.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Yandle could be going to Florida per Friedman. Guess we better hope Goligoski signs.

6th+ conditional 4th for Yandle. Non conditional 5th for Goligoski, sort of like the Yandle move better...

Last edited:

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Yandle could be going to Florida per Friedman. Guess we better hope Goligoski signs.

6th+ conditional 4th for Yandle. Non conditional 5th for Goligoski, sort of like the Yandle move better...

The Yandle deal is better if you're already betting he won't sign with your team. Goligoski deal shows confidence of him signing.....or that you have a gambling problem.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

Is it 6th round pick PLUS 4th if they sign him?

I really don't mind giving up just a 5th for having a chance at signing him. I like our chances of signing Goligoski. I'd take just a 5th over a 4th and 6th any day.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Is it 6th round pick PLUS 4th if they sign him?

I really don't mind giving up just a 5th for having a chance at signing him. I like our chances of signing Goligoski. I'd take just a 5th over a 4th and 6th any day.

Interesting, 2 non hockey market teams getting a first look/dates with the two best UFA LHD's. If they both sign before the UFA period starts, this could start a new trend.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
When do you guys think we'll hear an announcement?

Saturday at the earliest, I'm afraid. I think he's going to market. I think the trip here and our desperation will ultimately land him, but it'll be after day one of the draft. Causing paralysis on our part. I think we're just going to use all of our picks because we're too scared to move on pieces that aren't 2nd pair LHD.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Saturday at the earliest, I'm afraid.

Depends a lot on just how much of the inside track they got from Dallas. If they know the money he wants and are willing to offer it, selling the area shouldn't be too bad as it seems half of all former athletes keep a home here :laugh:. Big unknown/sticking point being franchise stability.

If he's dead set on hitting the market to listen to other offers though then that's that.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Bob McKenzie says Goligoski was "thoroughly impressed" with his visit. Sounds like a 5 year deal could be coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad