Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 12 days) - Main Cam

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 129 58.6%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Mesar

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Tuch

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
There’s no reason not to put 2 dmen on the 2nd PP unit. Gally/Anderson/Dvorak/Armia have 17 PPP combined in the last 2 seasons. That is unbelievably bad.
There is
When you have
Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Laine
Dach
Newhook
Roy
And soon Demidov

There is no universe any of our PP units ever have more than 1 D

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That still doesn't answer who is in front of the net on that PP. None of the other forwards currently on it really fit there.

Having 2 D on PP2 would likely be at the cost of Roy, not Gallagher.
Those guys aren’t doing anything on the PP. I do agree that Roy will be taken out instead of Gallagher but it’s obviously the wrong call.
There is
When you have
Suzuki
Caufield
Slafkovsky
Laine
Dach
Newhook
Roy
And soon Demidov

There is no universe any of our PP units ever have more than 1 D
So that’s 7 forwards in the current NHL lineup. 4 on the 1st unit and 3 on the 2nd unit. There’s your universe.
Who's the PP force of nature on D that's being put there instead?
You’re right, there needs to be a PP force of nature to replace the high end offensive juggernauts of Dvorak/Armia/Anderson/Gallagher and their combined 17 PPP in 2 seasons.

Clearly a dman that would put up even 6 PPP in one season and beat each of these guys is a HOF offensive dman since replacing that kind of elite production is simply impossible.

Reactions: the

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You’re right, there needs to be a PP force of nature to replace the high end offensive juggernauts of Dvorak/Armia/Anderson/Gallagher and their combined 17 PPP in 2 seasons.

Clearly a dman that would put up even 6 PPP in one season and beat each of these guys is a HOF offensive dman since replacing that kind of elite production is simply impossible.

If you're so dramatically advocating starting out with a clearly sub-optimal PP setup to give ice time to either Barron or D that aren't remotely effective on the PP, then the argument should be more than pointing out players who aren't known as PP guys didn't produce on shit PP units.

What's the strategy?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If you're so dramatically advocating starting out with a clearly sub-optimal PP setup to give ice time to either Barron or D that aren't remotely effective on the PP, then the argument should be more than pointing out players who aren't known as PP guys didn't produce on shit PP units.

What's the strategy?
Yes I’m the one dramatically talking, not the guy who said we need a “PP force of nature” to replace dog shit production between 4 players across 2 seasons.

Claiming that Barron or another D won’t even remotely be effective compared to those 4 is hilarious.

The strategy is to play the more skilled players on the PP instead of those 4 to maybe help improve one of the worst PPs in the league in recent years. Guhles ES production is solid and Barron is known for offensive abilities despite his flaws. We also tried Xhekaj because of his shot.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yes I’m the one dramatically talking, not the guy who said we need a “PP force of nature” to replace dog shit production between 4 players across 2 seasons.

Claiming that Barron or another D won’t even remotely be effective compared to those 4 is hilarious.

The strategy is to play the more skilled players on the PP instead of those 4 to maybe help improve one of the worst PPs in the league in recent years. Guhles ES production is solid and Barron is known for offensive abilities despite his flaws. We also tried Xhekaj because of his shot.

I didn't say we need a PP force of nature, I'm looking for an actual argument and not complaining about player x or y being on the PP2 unit.

Like it would be one thing if there was an argument about strategy, like saying (and I'm not advocating this) that another D would see Hutson quarterback near the half wall and have the 3 forwards be net front/slot/other side. That's actually worth discussing. But I care more about the strategy than the personnel when in either scenario the personnel will be lacking.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I didn't say we need a PP force of nature, I'm looking for an actual argument and not complaining about player x or y being on the PP2 unit.
You said “who’s this pp force of nature” when I said we should try one of the dmen to replace any of those 4 guys as in that’s what it would take to replace them.
Like it would be one thing if there was an argument about strategy, like saying (and I'm not advocating this) that another D would see Hutson quarterback near the half wall and have the 3 forwards be net front/slot/other side. That's actually worth discussing. But I care more about the strategy than the personnel when in either scenario the personnel will be lacking.
The strategy like I said is to have a more offensively talented player to replace that last slot. Yes most teams go with 4 forwards and a dman per unit, but we don’t have a decent enough player for that 4th forward on the 2nd unit yet. I’d say it’s hard to rationalize the use of those 4 guys who clearly have horrible production on the PP and the PP as a whole has been really bad for a while now. Being healthier will undoubtedly help but those 4 aren’t doing anything worthwhile to help. Give the slot to a dman who most definitely have a better offensive repertoire even if they aren’t a force of nature.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Those guys aren’t doing anything on the PP. I do agree that Roy will be taken out instead of Gallagher but it’s obviously the wrong call.

So that’s 7 forwards in the current NHL lineup. 4 on the 1st unit and 3 on the 2nd unit. There’s your universe.

That still doesn't the answer the question of who goes in front of the net in your PP2.

How do you position Hutson, Barron/Guhle, Laine, Roy and Newhook on a PP?

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Agree with this. I have Kap on 3rd line and Beck 4th. But thats splitting hairs.

I'd like to see Tuch and/or Heinemen bump one of Gally/Anderson for cost purposes.

On defence.....next season I am hoping for something like this...

Guhle - Mailloux/Rein (both need to take huge steps)
Hutson - Rein/Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron
Struble
Good post. I think Habs pick up a waiver rd man this year to fill in while backer and mayo get ready
Having Beck/Kapanen or Evans on the 4th line isn't going to make much of a difference to the habs making the playoffs. The impact of a 4th line center is limited.

RHP is a small winger drafted in the 7th round as an overager and is now 25 years old. Beck and Kapanen are both good-sized 2-way centers who are great on faceoffs and were drafted in the 2nd round. The pedigree/value of RHP and Beck/Kapanen are nowhere near the same.

Beck and Kapanen don't need to be a perfect 3C/4C to be in the NHL. They will be rookies, so there will be ups and downs. Slafkovsky, Xhekaj, Roy, etc. weren't perfect players when they made the nhl.

We're not going to run Reinbacher Mailloux Barron on the right side because one of Guhle or Matheson will be on the right side.

Guhle - Matheson
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Reinbacher, Mailloux, Engstrom, Trudeau, Struble, and Barron are all knocking on the door, and Savard will be blocking one of them, and probably won't even be better.

They aren't going to sign old players who will block prospects from making the team. That's pretty clear with what Hughes has been saying to the media.
There is also already veteran depth players signed for multiple more years on the team in Anderson and Gallagher.
they likely sign a waiver rd this year while mayo and backer cook a little more.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
That still doesn't the answer the question of who goes in front of the net in your PP2.

How do you position Hutson, Barron/Guhle, Laine, Roy and Newhook on a PP?
So 5’9 Gallagher and his little to no PPP screening the goalie is the answer? If he’s doing an admirable job, why is he so bad at getting points and helping us score goals?

Laine-Roy/Newhook-Newhook/Roy
Hutson-Barron

I believe Roy/Newhook in the slot and the right side makes a lot of sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad