Speculation: Could NHL team be interested in signing Markus Granlund?, who just left the KHL

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The downfall of the KHL continues; few Salavat Yulayev Ufa none Russian players
have left the team due to the war, former NHL:er Markus Granlund was one of them.

Petteri Lindbohm was signed by the Panthers, who also won the Olympic gold
with team Finland as did Granlund.

Does anyone here think would any of the 32 NHL teams be interested in signing Granlund?
(the contract signing window in many european leagues has closed)

He is still a player in his prime, he had two strong seasons for Ufa in the KHL
reg+p-o : 100 games, 34 goals, 66 assists, 100 points, +30 with 40 penalty minutes.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Not really.

I'm starting to think that the KHL is slightly above AHL in talent.

Seems 80% of KHLers signed to the NHL don't make it.

Now Granny has played in the NHL before so some desperate GM might take a flyer on him, but I doubt it in this flat cap era.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He could probably play on the Rangers right now. With injuries and lack of depth up front, he'd have to beat out Dryden Hunt, Greg McKegg, or Julien Gauthier for a spot. I'd like to think most of these guys are not a point per game player in the KHL. Wouldn't be the worst move.

Reactions: Stubu

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It's KHL but that's not bad stats. I could see some team wanting a bottom 6 winger as a depth option for a 1 year show-me deal with low salary.

He'd probably take it if the alternative is European leagues.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Not really.

I'm starting to think that the KHL is slightly above AHL in talent.

Seems 80% of KHLers signed to the NHL don't make it.

Now Granny has played in the NHL before so some desperate GM might take a flyer on him, but I doubt it in this flat cap era.
Or they might because he would definitely come cheap as serviceable depth on a team that's sorely lacking depth

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I will plead ignorance... has his game substantially improved from when he left the NHL? It was only a couple years ago.
That's again a good question. I guess I'd like to see the answer but the risk is there...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad