Proposal: Could a McDavid Lindros type of trade help the Oilers?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
If you recall, Lindros was one of the best players in the league, and he got traded for Steve Duchesne, Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci, Chris Simon, two draft picks, and $15 million. Colorado soon won the cup after that trade.
What would be an equivalent trade for McDavid that would be tempting for both the Oilers and the team acquiring him?

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
of course, but unless a Peter Forsberg type player came back to the Oilers, we'd lose any McDavid trade and i don't see anyone with a spare Foppa in their system that they could trade us! besides, it would still be more of the same anyways because the Oiler franchise just doesn't know how to win. and when we did win 47 games a couple of years ago, Chia just continued to purge to the point where we are mediocre again ! as long as Chia is here, we can never win long term cuz he'll never stop trying to continuously change the roster!

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
No, cuz the cap would prevent it, how can you get players that are equal good as Mcdavid that will only cost 12,5 mil per year?

If Rantanen signs for 6 mil then it is possible….

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Nylander, Liljegren, Sandin, 1st 2019, 1st 2020, and 1st 2021 for McDavid. That's 3 picked first rounders and 3 1st round picks. That also would free up your cap problem now and future. Leafs would then trade Matthews to Arizona.

Last edited:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Leaf fans don't realize that having 3 first line centers just won't work. It hardly works at the Olympics and wouldn't in the NHL. All these players want powerplay and icetime and because they'd be blocking each other their point totals would drop making the whole idea pointless. Everyone needs their proper roles for team success.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Nylander, Liljegren, Sandin, 1st 2019, 1st 2020, and 1st 2021 for McDavid. That's 3 picked first rounders and 3 1st round picks That also would free up your cap problem now and future. Leafs would then trade Matthews to Arizona.

This is the kind of trade that could actually get Oiler fans to stop going to watch the Edmonton Oilers. Nylander hasn't yet hit his stride since coming back and he hasn't carried the Leafs at any point, there aren't any established names in this trade and those 3 first rounders would be expected to be 20th overall or later in all 3 years.

No, cuz the cap would prevent it, how can you get players that are equal good as Mcdavid that will only cost 12,5 mil per year?

If Rantanen signs for 6 mil then it is possible….

You're totally on point here. I think it comes down to Edmonton sending Lucic with McDavid. 18.5M in salary opens up the options a lot more. If you make this trade after July 1st it saves the opposing team a few million in signing bonuses. While Lucic has a cap hit of 6m. After next season he's making a combined 13M over 3 seasons. If his team wants to buy him out at some point it becomes a bit more affordable and I'm sure it does slightly reduce the value of what Edmonton is getting in return, it also allows a lot more flexibility in what Edmonton is getting back.

Ofcourse.
If the price is right Oilers would benefit alot.

Though, Who would but that offer To the table?

Realistically a team with a center that can drive a 2nd line, a super deep blueline, good young talent still on ELCs and the willingness to throw in some picks.

of course, but unless a Peter Forsberg type player came back to the Oilers, we'd lose any McDavid trade and i don't see anyone with a spare Foppa in their system that they could trade us! besides, it would still be more of the same anyways because the Oiler franchise just doesn't know how to win. and when we did win 47 games a couple of years ago, Chia just continued to purge to the point where we are mediocre again ! as long as Chia is here, we can never win long term cuz he'll never stop trying to continuously change the roster!

The thing is that Chia would obviously already be fired if we ended up trading McDavid. If we make the playoffs then we're obviously keeping McDavid. Absolutely nobody expects Chia to keep his job if the Oilers miss the playoffs this year and it will take nothing short of a miracle to get Edmonton into the playoffs this year.

It wouldn't work with cap, unless we added Lucic and Sekera and they retained on some players.

So it couldn't work.

Wouldn't have to send both. I think sending Lucic with McDavid gives both teams more than enough flexibility with 18.5M in cap space to haggle with.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
It would probably help them if everything went right, which rarely happens. It's too risky to trade the best player in the league, and the only way to mitigate that risk would be a cost so high that it is not worth it for the other team.

Add in the fact that the team trading for him would need established young top tier players, and not prospects, you're likely looking at only playoff teams who could offer that kind of package; which also makes it too risky from their end to gut their team for one player.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
McDavid would never be traded unless he demanded to be. He's the franchise now. I don't see how the fans could tolerate, after all crap the Oilers have already put them through over the last decade, moving McDavid, especially not with Chiarelli engineering the trade.

That said, imagining him in Buffalo makes me giddy --- sets up a potential Crosby + Malkin 2.0.

Mittelstadt
Nylander
Guhle
All 4 1st Buffalo has over the next 2 drafts
Scandella (cap)
Okposo (cap)

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
Not a flyer fan but they maybe could.

Voracek, provorov, Patrick, Frost, 19 and 20 1st.
I don’t think they would but they have lots of assets.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
No team is going to destroy their core line up for mcdavid, maybe 1 piece and the rest would be futures

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
To Edmonton:
Pierre Luc Dubois
Zach Werenski
Josh Anderson
Sergei Bobrovsky
2019 1st

To Columbus:
Connor McDavid
Milan Lucic
Cam Talbot

Columbus gets a star player to shine a light on their team. With Seth Jones, Panarin, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Milano, Dubinsky, Foligno, Wennberg, Jenner, etc... Columbus still has a young solid team around McDavid.

Edmonton gets some cap relief. They insert Dubois into their top 6 and build around him/ Draisaitl. Anderson adds muscle and potential scoring touch. Werenski is a young solid addition to the Oilers blue line. Bobrovsky becomes their rock in goal

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
To Edmonton:
Pierre Luc Dubois
Zach Werenski
Josh Anderson
Sergei Bobrovsky
2019 1st

To Columbus:
Connor McDavid
Milan Lucic
Cam Talbot

Columbus gets a star player to shine a light on their team. With Seth Jones, Panarin, Atkinson, Bjorkstrand, Milano, Dubinsky, Foligno, Wennberg, Jenner, etc... Columbus still has a young solid team around McDavid.

Edmonton gets some cap relief. They insert Dubois into their top 6 and build around him/ Draisaitl. Anderson adds muscle and potential scoring touch. Werenski is a young solid addition to the Oilers blue line. Bobrovsky becomes their rock in goal
This one is enticing. But it'd have to be Jones not Werenski Imo.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Throwing firsts at Edmonton won't help them, they've proven that already. Only trade here that made any sense was the Colorado one. A trade is fair if it hurts you as much as it hurts the other team even if your team has the depth to take it. Edmonton is McDavid. Remember it's not the 130 points Edmonton would have to replace, it's the 70 points above replacement (guessing not looking).

So for example the Montreal trade posted, that gets approximately 20 PAR I'm guessing plus a first, the Columbus one maybe 30 PAR and a first. Combined I don't think I'd do the trade.

I think the only starting point for a trade I can think of off the top of my head would be:
Barzal
Wahlstrom
Dobson
Eberle signed
+
+
+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad