OT: Coronavirus XXIV Version B: The Shit Has Hit the Fan in Europe Again :( Take 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
there are ways to "live your life" safely that doesn't require to to stay inside you know

comparing WWII to this pandemic is one of the dumbest things you can do

The poster didn't make a comparison, they made a perspective contrast, and there is nothing wrong with what the poster is stating, and certainly doesn't require your response.

One poster is engaging in a point, in a discussion. you're engaging in something that isn't making a contribution.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I have come across a lot of weird "I just live my life" takes lately.

I get its scary and people are fed up. .....but why do people think anyone is asking if they are ok with it? This is why it needs to be enforced.

The point is to prevent maximizing the number of infections so the healthcare system doesnt break it doesnt really matter who agrees or not.

Quebec Premier had a good point....we are about to celebrate the end of WW2 where people were being cooked in ovens and other people volunteered to go get blown up and die. Now no one is willing to just....stay inside when you can.

Thanks for your posts on this. Completely agree.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
there are ways to "live your life" safely that doesn't require to to stay inside you know

comparing WWII to this pandemic is one of the dumbest things you can do
I’m all for limiting the spread and doing your part but I get incredibly annoyed when people compare this to unrelated things. I agree that this has nothing to do with World War Two.

Reactions: oilers'72

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The poster didn't make a comparison, they made a perspective contrast, and there is nothing wrong with what the poster is stating, and certainly doesn't require your response.

One poster is engaging in a point, in a discussion. you're engaging in something that isn't making a contribution.
disagree, this pandemic has nothing to do with WWII and the majority of people can't fathom the hardships our grandfathers and grandmothers went through

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
disagree, this pandemic has nothing to do with WWII and the majority of people can't fathom the hardships our grandfathers and grandmothers went through

Your disagreement with the post doesn't justify your calling it "the dumbest thing you've seen here" That just conveys what you're bringing in response. i mean you can reply in any way you choose.

I don't think your harsh reply was called for.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Even with the great wars, it took years before there were signs it was ending. We are about 9 months into the virus in NA, so barely a blip in war years. And we do have somewhat of an end date, when we have vaccines that are ready, which sounds like will be anywhere from 2 - 9 months, depending on who you want to believe.
Call me from Missouri, but I'll believe those end dates for vaccines when I see them.

Reactions: oilers'72 and Raab

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Call me from Missouri, but I'll believe those end dates for vaccines when I see them.
I get the feeling this vaccine isn’t going to be the magic bullet people think it will be. It might not be very effective, a lot of people won’t want to take it, people will start mingling a lot more because they think they are immune. We could be in for a big gong show come vaccine time.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

It's funny because the only people advocating segments of the population be kept indoors are you guys when you say "protect the vulnerable". Everyone else is saying you can do whatever as long as you undertake a few basic precautions but for some reason the Great Barrington people would rather just lock up old people so no one else is mildly inconvenienced.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks man, appreciated. Plus some people know what my career was, so I have decades of first hand experience, and tons with working with families in the area.

Commercially speaking examples of healthy businesses that support community are "The Carrot" bakery, coffee shop diner, that also has musical entertainment and is front center involved in Kaleido and Deep Freeze, both great festivals, and the Italian Bakery, many others. This is an example of an area improving and starting to find its way. Lots of good new restos in that area.

in contrast..

The Saxony? heh. that place was a block away from where I grew up. The only bar worse in the area was the Klondiker. Watched the slow decline of that JP neighborhood, terrible thing, really, to see. When we were kids the area was fine. By the time we were 10-12 something darker was settling in. People should take a drive down Stony Plain road now. Most people would be shocked, and it gets worse after 156st. You take close up pictures of some old boarded up shops, businesses, condemned homes there and people would think it could be Detroit.

I know it's a bit OT....but I understand your viewpoint on the Saxony and the area. I spent 2 years there at the GMac campus in the early 90's and it was pretty seedy then. Had its own quirks for sure. As long as the overall picture that these types of places do benefit a certain segment of society for work....including the entertainment, waitress's, cooks, bartenders, dancers etc. Might not be the best places for those with weak discipline or habitual types...but a number of hard working folks still rely on it to feed their families.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
If this were even a little like the truth, at least half of the population would be infected. More like another advertisement for masks, apparently not enough garbage is thrown into the ocean for them.

Actually seems more like a promotion for ventilation systems and window opening mechanisms to me. The mask with no ventilation scenarios are not great looking here.

Blasted windows and ventilation companies trying to cash in on the COVID-19 craze! :)

Really though, large gatherings for hours with no ventilation. I think every country has been trying to find ways to prevent these kinds of scenarios since very early on Kind of a no brainer, you don't need COVID-19 to start to know how a virus spreads. The difficulty for the ventilation part of the equation really starts to ramp up in countries like ours now though.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It's funny because the only people advocating segments of the population be kept indoors are you guys when you say "protect the vulnerable". Everyone else is saying you can do whatever as long as you undertake a few basic precautions but for some reason the Great Barrington people would rather just lock up old people so no one else is mildly inconvenienced.
well we tried the "let's lockdown and destroy the economy with record jobs losses and mounting debt yet still have deaths to the really old" approach and that didn't work out so well

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
no...I said "protect the vulnerable", something we clearly didn't do a good enough job of
Of course we didn't because people decided that they wanted to go back to normal on their own and f*** everyone else.

People think that they're not vulnerable or culpable for anything if it doesn't affect them directly.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
the majority were old people dying when we were in lockdown...
Well they're still dying and this virus is still going on strong. If this doesn't slow down soon we might not have hockey next year, unless they can create a bubble for the season for all 31 teams which is basically impossible.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
This maybe the case. I overheard something from the Washington Post I believe saying that all states will be hit hard except for Hawaii. Way to jinx us motherf***ers! AC usage during the insanely hot summer months in the southern US is probably equivalent to recirculated air in places like Michigan and Minnesota in the winter. We'll see, I just think that it's going to be a worldwide cluster frack for awhile.

I still have a fairly positive outlook, but I have to. If I thought things were going downhill for another year I'd just close up shop now. I think once we hit December and it looks like its not as big of deal with regards to hospitalizations, and deaths. We're going to see a big rebound for services. Like I can't wait to go back to a hockey game, and I haven't been to one in a few years. All the things I took for granted, I'm going to go do once this virus crap has passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad