HF Habs: Copa America 2024 | Canada vs Chile, Sat. June 29, 8 p.m. | TSN, CTV2, RDS, FOX ||| Euro 2024 (TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Euros start Matchday 3 tomorrow (Sunday, June 23), so all teams in same division play at same time.

3 p.m.: Germany vs Switzerland - Germany has clinched a spot in round of 16, but haven't clinched this division. If Swiss win, they top group A.

3 p.m.: Scotland vs Hungary - if Scotland can beat Hungary they can get through as a #3 team. 6 divisions, top 2 teams go through, four 3rd place teams go through, too. It'll depend on other matches & goal differential, but 4 pts should get them there. It's the game I'm going to watch.

For the Copa America, the USA plays its first game tomorrow.

6 p.m.: USA vs Bolivia

9 p.m.: Uruguay vs Panama

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Edmonton
It cannot be overstated how badly we need to get the federation sorted out and to invest massively into youth soccer and infrastructures. In 10 years we could have a true golden generation on our hands, if we do things right.
I think we're in good hands with Kevin Blue and Peter Augruso. Here's a recent interview with them:

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Edmonton
Next game for Canada - Buchanan on the bench for Shefflenburg or however you spell it.

Get Millar off the pitch to start, as well. Not sure what our options are for Kone but he shouldn't be starting either. Quality wasn't there for all 3.
Respectfully, Koné had a stinker against Argentina but he's really good. Needs to be more consistent but who else are you going to put on for him? Choiniere? Ahmed? Osorio? No thank you

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Edmonton
Flipping between Stanley and Chile V Peru. I don’t see why Canada can’t take at least four points from their next two games. They just need to capitalize on their chances and stay away from the chippy shitbaggery which is bound to happen - and is happening tonight
That Chile vs. Peru match was the biggest shitshow I've ever seen. Not a single pass completed all match. Bodies flying. People slide tackling each other 30 feet away from the ball. Canada have significantly more talent than both teams. If Canada keep their cool through all the fouls and shenanigans, they should get 4-6 points. No more excuses. Time to execute

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Edmonton
With Ecuador losing to Venezuela and Mexico beating Jamaica, there's a good chance Canada's opponent in the QF would be Mexico or Venezuela. Canada could definitely beat those teams and make a SF. That would be WILD.

Canada have the talent to make it to the semis. Just need to put it all together and be clinical in the final third. Get the job done against Chile and Peru.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
With Ecuador losing to Venezuela and Mexico beating Jamaica, there's a good chance Canada's opponent in the QF would be Mexico or Venezuela. Canada could definitely beat those teams and make a SF. That would be WILD.

Canada have the talent to make it to the semis. Just need to put it all together and be clinical in the final third. Get the job done against Chile and Peru.
Mexico looked terrible last night. They could've easily lost, and would have if VAR doesn't undo the Antonio goal for offside

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Makes me laugh everytime lol
Every single North American sport is obsessed with somehow producing more goals, more points, more offense, everything to get more excitement

But Soccer is like.. hmmm.. how can we take AWAY more and more goals.. hmmm

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Looks like a really serious injury in the Scotland game to Hungary. They've got privacy screen up & stretcher. It looked like Hungary player might've been seizing, too.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Scotland is out. Hungary scores with like 30 seconds left in a 100 minute game. They added 10 minutes due to the injury.

Scotland just terrible trying to finish anything.

Germany gets a late goal to draw Switzerland 1-1. That's all they needed to top Group A.

A group finishes:

1. Germany
2. Switzerland
3. Hungary
4. Scotland

Hungary could still get through to Round of 16, but it'll depend how some of the other games play out.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Tomorrow Group B plays:

3 p.m.: Albania vs Spain
3 p.m.: Croatia vs Italy

Spain has clinched this group already. Albania needs a win to not be eliminated. Any other scenario and their tournament is over. They could still get 2nd place with a win, and a Croatia win over Italy.

Croatia is in the same situation as Albania. Win or get out. A draw or loss eliminates them. They can move into 2nd place with a win over Italy and if Albania loses or draws.

All Italy needs to clinch 2nd place is a draw against Croatia.

2nd place in Group B plays Switzerland.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Scotland is out. Hungary scores with like 30 seconds left in a 100 minute game. They added 10 minutes due to the injury.

Scotland just terrible trying to finish anything.

Germany gets a late goal to draw Switzerland 1-1. That's all they needed to top Group A.

A group finishes:

1. Germany
2. Switzerland
3. Hungary
4. Scotland

Hungary could still get through to Round of 16, but it'll depend how some of the other games play out.
A lot of European teams play tough defense. Very few lopsided scores. Switzerland absolutely came to play and was well prepared, based on what I am reading on Twitter about their formation, with an emphasis on limiting Kroos' impact.

Scotland was never really in the mix to move on, as much as I like the country itself and appreciate its single-malts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad