HF Habs: Copa America 2024 | Canada vs Chile, Sat. June 29, 8 p.m. | TSN, CTV2, RDS, FOX ||| Euro 2024 (TSN, TSN+, TVA Sports)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Spain's 1-0 win over Italy (on an own goal) yesterday means they are the 2nd team to make it through to the round of 16.

Germany & Spain are through.

Slovakia can go through with a win over Ukraine today. Ditto the winner of France vs The Netherlands.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Next game for Canada - Buchanan on the bench for Shefflenburg or however you spell it.

Get Millar off the pitch to start, as well. Not sure what our options are for Kone but he shouldn't be starting either. Quality wasn't there for all 3.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I don't think a close score means much vs. Argentina. I've watched a lot of Argentina and they will rarely blow out an opponent, it's more of finding a way to consistently edge through and play structurally.

Yep, they play like Italia of the good ol’ days.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Next game for Canada - Buchanan on the bench for Shefflenburg or however you spell it.

Get Millar off the pitch to start, as well. Not sure what our options are for Kone but he shouldn't be starting either. Quality wasn't there for all 3.

I like Shaffleburgh as a late sub. He brings speed and vertical play when the opposing team is a bit tired. He's been used this way for some time and he always bring something more as soon as he hits the pitch. I'm not sure if he can bring the same quality as a starter?

Looking at the roster, it doesn't seem we have that much quality on the bench to replace Millar and Koné. I have not seen many of those play or heard them before: Theo Bair, Tani Oluwaseyi, Kyle Hiebert, Luc de la Fougerolles...

Pushing Davies forward while playing someone else like Larryea in his place could be an option though.

For Koné, it would be Osorio to replace him? :dunno:

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I like Shaffleburgh as a late sub. He brings speed and vertical play when the opposing team is a bit tired. He's been used this way for some time and he always bring something more as soon as he hits the pitch. I'm not sure if he can bring the same quality as a starter?

Looking at the roster, it doesn't seem we have that much quality on the bench to replace Millar and Koné. I have not seen many of those play or heard them before: Theo Bair, Tani Oluwaseyi, Kyle Hiebert, Luc de la Fougerolles...

Pushing Davies forward while playing someone else like Larryea in his place could be an option though.

300k Choinière.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

As dogshit as he was, I wouldn’t write Koné off just yet. Give him one more chance, one more oppahtunaty to seek forgiveness for what he has done.

I agree on Shufflebug as a super sub.

I already see what the team is trying to accomplish under Marsch, which is encouraging.

I would really use Davies as striker. His speed would be a nightmare going fwd.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Could also look to putting Ali Ahmed somewhere in there and I believe he's played both midfield and on the wing..

Overall, it's about what I expected. Canada were able to create 2 or 3 solid chances that should have been buried, and we were outclassed in a lot of other areas but somehow kept it relatively close. If Eustaquio buries that chance right before half time, it's a completely different game.

Concacaf is mainly about creating and exploiting mistakes due to broken up plays. It's why we view speed as such an important factor in North America. But at the top levels, it's about generating plays through solid team build up. If Canada is to be successful, we need to improve the skill level to reach that point.

Crepeau was a mixed bag. No doubt he had a bunch of massive saves but there were also a few times where he was massively out of position due to his aggressiveness and miscommunication with the cb's.

Davies had a decent game and a lot of it is just simply put, the 2024 Di Maria is not on the same level of Frimpong or Dembele. It's not to say that he needs weaker opponents to succeed, but it's difficult when you're up against that level of player and you don't have the same quality of support around you that you would have with a Bayern or Real Madrid.

Millar was very meh. Kone was up and down. He kind of did the same thing as the France game where he had a rough first half and started to play better in the 2nd before his mini meltdown.

Bambito is really good. Cornelius was ok.

Larin actually had a more impactful game than I was expecting him to have which is good. J. David needs to be more involved and bury his chances. Would still love to see Tani play with him to stretch the backline and go on some runs. That's one thing that's missing right now.

The guy I'm most worried about though is Buchanan. I just don't see any real growth over the past couple of years since he really broke out. Can't beat guys one on one. Doesn't seem to be confident make passes or crosses, and I find his touches are always heavy. I dunno what to make of him.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Yep, they play like Italia of the good ol’ days.
Italy could have played that style of soccer back in the day at any time and win. We always and still have a great keeper, and our back line always consisted of the best in the world! From Costacurta, Zambrotta, Gentille, Bergomi, Cannavarro, Maldini, Nesta, Baresi and Scirea, we go to Di Lorenzo, Di Marco and company.... We cannot play that style no more.

Lucky for us things are headed in the right direction with a lot of young players that are much more aggresive and whiling to go forward and Italy is coming off an impressive win at the U17 Euro last month in convincing fashion! Another 3-4 years we should be alright!

Reactions: Skip Bayless

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The Netherlands and France have the first 0-0 match of the Euros.

A draw works for both of them.

Tomorrow's games:

Euro 2024

9 a.m.: Czechia vs Georgia

12 p.m.: Turkey vs Portugal

3 p.m. Belgium vs Romania

Copa America

3 p.m.: Ecuador vs Venezuela

8 p.m.: Mexico vs Jamaica

Last edited:
Reactions: themilosh

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Poland lost 3-1 to Austria today, which means they're the first team eliminated.

Poland was also the last team to qualify.
I was thinking hey didn't Slovakia get eliminated first.
Strange but I forgot all about that tying goal with literally no time left in added time which I did see live. :laugh:

I think I'm still in shock at how poorly England played.
They look like a team who have quit on their manager.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Netherlands and France have the first 0-0 match of the Euros.

A draw works for both of them.

Tomorrow's games:

9 a.m.: Czechia vs Georgia

12 p.m.:
That goal getting called back sucks but that Dumbfries had no business la la la ing his way back on side when the play is still live around the box.
Two steps takes that call off the books. I seriously don't get how players stop playing IN THE BOX.
Particularly considering how long it takes to get the play into that area to begin with.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Flipping between Stanley and Chile V Peru. I don’t see why Canada can’t take at least four points from their next two games. They just need to capitalize on their chances and stay away from the chippy shitbaggery which is bound to happen - and is happening tonight

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I was thinking hey didn't Slovakia get eliminated first.
Strange but I forgot all about that tying goal with literally no time left in added time which I did see live. :laugh:

I think I'm still in shock at how poorly England played.
They look like a team who have quit on their manager.

They're playing ridiculously conservative. I know they're back is weak, but they're not pushing at all. Their opponents are taking the game to them. They haven't just parked the bus they've set up camp.

It's hard to watch.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
That goal getting called back sucks but that Dumbfries had no business la la la ing his way back on side when the play is still live around the box.
Two steps takes that call off the books. I seriously don't get how players stop playing IN THE BOX.
Particularly considering how long it takes to get the play into that area to begin with.
He should have been en-route to goalline to take himself "off". That is (and should be) the first thing a Striker feels when they "suddenly" catch themselves offside. Dumbfries made absolutely NO effort, and while I dont believe he had any influence of the goal itself, it made the decision easier for VAR.

Reactions: Rapala

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Ecuador Venezuela is at 6 pm 😉
You never have to leave your couch

This is directly from their site:

1000000269.jpg

So, 3 p.m is California time? Every other f***ing schedule for events takes my location and gives me local edt time.

Their website sucks, though, so not surprised that they're using local time, while forcing teams to play in multiple time zones.

The Euro schedule shows me edt not Euro times. Even IIHF events show me edt, not local times.

Leave it to Copa to come up with a dumbass website.

• Haha
Reactions: ArtPeur

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad