News Article: Contract talks with the Gallys

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Bridge deals seem to be almost a company policy for the Habs...going to be interesting...

Does seem so which is why I would be more surprised if either is signed long term right away than I would with a bridge deal.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Good point. It would have to be an eight year deal then. So what would you offer him if you were Bergevin. Keeping in mind that it would eat up 4 of his UFA years and lets assume his agent is a bright guy and knows Galchenyuk will be the Habs best forward for most of those 8 years if he isn't already. What do you offer? What do they accept? 8 at 6 per year or 8 at 7 per year???? Cause it ain`t gonna be cheap.

Personally I'm hopeful for an 8x6m for Galchenyuk. A short 2 or 3 year deal for Gallagher

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
You guys worry way too much about that. And most of you seriously take the 'management' perspective waayyy too far.

It's not about 'assets' and having control of them. They're human beings, not shares in a company.

If a guy doesn't want to play here, he'll be gone as soon as he can. He can always request a trade, hold out etc. And you can't do anything about it. If Chuckie wants to play elsewhere, he's gone next year, basically. And whatever we get in return isn't worth it.

So, the disaster is not if we sign Galchenyuk for X years or whatever, the disaster would be to treat him unfairly.

Let's say you give him a crappy two years contract and he's not happy about it. You really think an unhappy RFA Galchenyuk will be more likely to sign for 8 years after that? He might still (see Subban), but he might not.

You guys talk like players are constantly trying to run away and thus, it's important to "keep control of our assets". :laugh: It doesn't work that way. The guys have to be treated fairly, they have to feel this is the best place for them etc.

I honestly don't care about the length of Galchenyuk's next contract. I'm sure he'll be here for a long time and it's all that matters.

Great post, agree 100%. All posters here are concerned about is nickel-and-diming players to get the most possible cap space or the most possible UFA years. That's part of the equation, sure, but it's not the whole enchilada.

I mean, a "disaster" to sign Galchenyuk for 4 years? Come on...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Honestly I think Galchenyuk will improve enough in 2 years that he'll get a King's ransom then too

There's always a risk, of course. But maybe Galchenyuk will appreciate how it ended up for Subban and HE will ask for a two years deal. Then he knows he can sign long term for more money.

Asking him to sign for 8 years now is a little unfair. Are there many examples of guys signing for 8 years after their ELC? Even Crosby signed for 5 years. Ovechkin signed his huge contract, but he was on another level at the time and it was the previous CBA. And he got his fair value too, so not really a discount for the Caps.

So I seriously doubt Galchenyuk signs for 8 years straight away. As I said, he's not stupid, he knows his value is going up. So forget about the 8 years at a low cap hit. My guess is that it's going to be a bridge deal or a 5-6 years deal.

And I honestly wouldn't read anything at all into that. The most probable scenario is that this guy is a Habs for life.

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal
Chucky 8 years 46M
Gally 4 years 16M

What has Galchenyuk done to warrant such a massive contract compared to Gallagher? double the term and almost triple the money, when Gallagher's had the better numbers.

I think they'll both get both get small two year bridge deals around two something apiece.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If we do get Galchenyuk long-term what would the amount be? I'm sure his agent knows his value is only going to go up. Maybe we get him at 7M per season for 8 years?

That's crazy. You don't hand out $56 million based on a 0.8 ppg for 10 games.

And I LOOVVEEE Galchenyuk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad