OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

They'll need to pull Paul Anderson out of a Wetherspoons (shit pub chain) dustbin for this film.

Bloke has gone completely off the rails.

1718615846659.png

• Wow
Reactions: NjDevsRR

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
We watched Ricky Stanicky the other day.

I wouldn’t go as far to say it’s good but if you want a light-weight Hangover knockoff that moves quickly and has some laughs then this will be fine for an evening. The script can be pretty bad at times but the actors do a good job selling it, imo.

———————-

We also watched Shogun last week, which we loved. It had the second best slow walking scene in recent memory, very close to the House of the Dragon scene, and that’s a high bar.

I wonder if Shogun was helped getting recognition for its quality because the show being mostly subtitles means people have to pay attention and can’t allow themselves to be distracted by their phones.
The Air D*****g scene alone is worth the watch for the recall laughs

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I really enjoyed talk to me too, the opening scene was absolutely wild.

I haven't bothered with Rebel Moon yet because I had read something about like a longer directors cut or some bs and I figured I'd just wait for that.

Really enjoyed Iron Claw but I did know most of the story going into it. The guy who plays Ric Flair is one of the worst acting jobs I've ever seen though lol
Forgot to come back to this… overall good movie and what a tragic story (Iron Claw). Ric Flair did stand out in a bad way though… the casting director must’ve taken that day off.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Forgot to come back to this… overall good movie and what a tragic story (Iron Claw). Ric Flair did stand out in a bad way though… the casting director must’ve taken that day off.

It's crazy that they actually had to edit the story down to make it less depressing than it already was...

There's numerous stories that the dad was even a bigger piece of shit in real life, to his kids and in business...

"He held the gun to his only living son Kevin and said, “You’d kill yourself too if you have the guts.” Kevin replied, “Dad, it takes guts to live, not guts to die.”

And also had another son who killed himself that wasn't in the movie...

While the movie acknowledges the tragic death of Jack Adkisson Jr, it actively omits another Von Erich brother: Chris. The youngest in the family, Chris also wrestled like his brothers and met a tragic and untimely end just as many of them did.

Chris Barton Adkisson was born on September 30, 1969. Unlike the next youngest sibling, Mike, who had no real desire to wrestle full-time, Chris desperately wanted to work in the ring. However, from a young age, Chris was afflicted with several ailments, including asthma and brittle bones. Chris did manage a brief in-ring career alongside brothers Kerry and Kevin in World Class Championship Wrestling, most notably facing off against Percival “Percy” Pringle III (later to become The Undertaker’s manager Paul Bearer in WWF/WWE) and Steve Austin (later to become the celebrated Stone Cold Steve Austin in WWF/WWE).

This content is imported from youTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
This content is imported from Third party. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
By age 21, Chris had grown frustrated at the stagnation of his career. He was also deeply affected by the suicide of his brother Mike in the spring of 1987. On September 12, 1991, just 18 days shy of his 22nd birthday, Chris Von Erich took his own life, despite having assured Kevin earlier that day that he wouldn’t.

Chris’ story was excluded from the movie’s screenplay in an effort to economize time. During a Q&A after a screening of the film in November 2023, director Sean Durkin said that the surviving Von Erich family were understanding of the decision to exclude Chris, both for thematic and pacing purposes.

• Wow
Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It's crazy that they actually had to edit the story down to make it less depressing than it already was...

There's numerous stories that the dad was even a bigger piece of shit in real life, to his kids and in business...

"He held the gun to his only living son Kevin and said, “You’d kill yourself too if you have the guts.” Kevin replied, “Dad, it takes guts to live, not guts to die.”

And also had another son who killed himself that wasn't in the movie...

While the movie acknowledges the tragic death of Jack Adkisson Jr, it actively omits another Von Erich brother: Chris. The youngest in the family, Chris also wrestled like his brothers and met a tragic and untimely end just as many of them did.

Chris Barton Adkisson was born on September 30, 1969. Unlike the next youngest sibling, Mike, who had no real desire to wrestle full-time, Chris desperately wanted to work in the ring. However, from a young age, Chris was afflicted with several ailments, including asthma and brittle bones. Chris did manage a brief in-ring career alongside brothers Kerry and Kevin in World Class Championship Wrestling, most notably facing off against Percival “Percy” Pringle III (later to become The Undertaker’s manager Paul Bearer in WWF/WWE) and Steve Austin (later to become the celebrated Stone Cold Steve Austin in WWF/WWE).

This content is imported from youTube. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.
This content is imported from Third party. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

Advertisement - Continue Reading Below
By age 21, Chris had grown frustrated at the stagnation of his career. He was also deeply affected by the suicide of his brother Mike in the spring of 1987. On September 12, 1991, just 18 days shy of his 22nd birthday, Chris Von Erich took his own life, despite having assured Kevin earlier that day that he wouldn’t.

Chris’ story was excluded from the movie’s screenplay in an effort to economize time. During a Q&A after a screening of the film in November 2023, director Sean Durkin said that the surviving Von Erich family were understanding of the decision to exclude Chris, both for thematic and pacing purposes.
The line of “I used to be a brother and now I’m not anymore” hits hard

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
HOTD is back and they're not messing around. I was wondering how they were going to do a certain scene and...well...they went there.

I stopped watching the show, did they not even include Maelor or making Helaena chose?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I stopped watching the show, did they not even include Maelor or making Helaena chose?
Maelor isn't in the show, but they did make Helaena choose between Jaehaerys and Jaehaera. Daemon actually hires them to kill Aemond (which is an absolutely idiotic idea in the first place) but they do the "son for a son" exchange instead when they can't find him. The execution of it felt kind of rushed (and somehow there are no guards within screaming distance of the heir to the king as they're practically at a de facto state of civil war), but they got to the main point of a brutal child murder.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Thought it was ok. Wasn’t exactly
What I thought it would be but kept my attention for one watch through.
My thoughts exactly. I thought it was a great premise but then got a bit of “Hollywood Wash”. I was optimistic it would be a bit more of an indy feel and adventurous storytelling with Linkletter attached.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Acolyte episode 4 was good. Rough start but the plot intrigues me a lot. Lots of lore

TROLLS murdering the rating. I give it a 6.8/10 so far

IMG_6715.jpeg

Reactions: Darkauron

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Acolyte episode 4 was good. Rough start but the plot intrigues me a lot. Lots of lore

View attachment 884672
It's towards the bottom of the Disney Star Wars shows for me, but it's not as bad as the review bombing and usual loud "critics" make it seem. I like the story they're trying to tell, but the execution of it is lacking. But that's mostly the same issue I had with Obi-Wan and BOBF too, so it's nothing new. I did really like the last few minutes of this episode and am looking forward to next week.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

View attachment 884672
Reviews are so useless right now and probably always were (when it comes to professionals). Example: Acolyte… early on RT had Acolyte being in the 9s from professionals and very low at home rating due to the review bombing. Neither was a true score. We also find out that many top websites will be influenced by either taking negative reviews down or pumping up a movie/show that doesn’t deserve it. The only method that works for me is finding friends or an online review critic that you trust and going with that.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Reviews are so useless right now and probably always were (when it comes to professionals). Example: Acolyte… early on RT had Acolyte being in the 9s from professionals and very low at home rating due to the review bombing. Neither was a true score. We also find out that many top websites will be influenced by either taking negative reviews down or pumping up a movie/show that doesn’t deserve it. The only method that works for me is finding friends or an online review critic that you trust and going with that.

Personally I don't even like reading or looking at reviews for something I know I'm going to watch anyway. I usually check out reddit review threads in movies or television or the shows sub after watching something just because there's always more interesting posts, whether it's someone catching something I didn't notice or just something funny.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I finished the third episode of Acolyte last night.

For me, the show is pretty mediocre so far. I don’t want to do spoilers but there does seem a lot of things that seem to make little sense and I don’t find the story super engaging so far.

This has been a bummer for me because the original pitch for Acolyte had me excited but it hasn’t delivered for me yet. Right now I’m only confident that I enjoyed Book of Boba Fett less. I still think the concept on paper would sound good, I think the execution hasn’t been up to snuff.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Personally I don't even like reading or looking at reviews for something I know I'm going to watch anyway. I usually check out reddit review threads in movies or television or the shows sub after watching something just because there's always more interesting posts, whether it's someone catching something I didn't notice or just something funny.
I haven’t gotten into Reddit too much yet but I probably should give it more of a shot. I like your use of it in this case.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
It's towards the bottom of the Disney Star Wars shows for me, but it's not as bad as the review bombing and usual loud "critics" make it seem. I like the story they're trying to tell, but the execution of it is lacking. But that's mostly the same issue I had with Obi-Wan and BOBF too, so it's nothing new. I did really like the last few minutes of this episode and am looking forward to next week.

For me, the show is pretty mediocre so far. I don’t want to do spoilers but there does seem a lot of things that seem to make little sense and I don’t find the story super engaging so far.

This has been a bummer for me because the original pitch for Acolyte had me excited but it hasn’t delivered for me yet. Right now I’m only confident that I enjoyed Book of Boba Fett less. I still think the concept on paper would sound good, I think the execution hasn’t been up to snuff.

I’m in this group. Not crazy about the story nor the dialogue so far. If you take SW terms out of it, feels like a bad SyFy show and nothing connected to the SW Universe. The production value feels like Star Trek TNG episodes compared to Andor’s production value, which I didn’t love but I didn’t hate it.

I’ll keep watching because I’m starved for sci-fi content but it’ll probably end up in the pile with Obi-Won, pretend it never happened. Although the end of e4 gives me a bit of hope it gets exciting from next episode on.

I enjoyed BOBF and easily rank Acolyte under it.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar

Stick with it, episode 4 finally hooked me in

Reactions: Darkauron

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I’m in this group. Not crazy about the story nor the dialogue so far. If you take SW terms out of it, feels like a bad SyFy show and nothing connected to the SW Universe. The production value feels like Star Trek TNG episodes compared to Andor’s production value, which I didn’t love but I didn’t hate it.

I’ll keep watching because I’m starved for sci-fi content but it’ll probably end up in the pile with Obi-Won, pretend it never happened. Although the end of e4 gives me a bit of hope it gets exciting from next episode on.

I enjoyed BOBF and easily rank Acolyte under it.
This infuriates me. I always say, I’m not a huge Star Wars fan by any means but I do enjoy the world of done right. With todays technology, all you need to do is hire decent actors and good writers that will continue the idea of the original trilogy and you would have absolute mega hits beyond even Marvel/Avengers movies.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
This infuriates me. I always say, I’m not a huge Star Wars fan by any means but I do enjoy the world of done right. With todays technology, all you need to do is hire decent actors and good writers that will continue the idea of the original trilogy and you would have absolute mega hits beyond even Marvel/Avengers movies.
I blame Kathleen Kennedy for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad