Speculation: Connor Murphy for a 1st rd pick this year or next year.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
With the Blackhawks retooling they may as well deal Connor. The price would most likely be a 1st rd pick this year or next and maybe a 3rd rd pick or prospect with the Blackhawks retaining half this year.

thesaadfather

Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Maybe the new GM will feel different, but I don't think they'd be interested in trading him. They've locked Jones in, and think part of the reason for the Murphy contract was to use him in a role to free up Jones to be used in more offensive situations. Besides, the team's been crap this year and his trade value isn't exactly at its peak. I'd think they hire a new coach this offseason and see what guys look like in a new system before moving any major pieces.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Murphy is a solid 2nd pairing defensive Dman. At $4.4M/AAV the next 4 years his contract what you would expect for the type of player he is.

There are a lot of players with a similar skillset, he provides nothing unique that would justify a 1st Rd IMO. A 2nd makes more sense value-wise.

He seems like a good fit in Chicago, not sure why they trade him unless some team is willing to overpay, which is doubtful.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Maybe the new GM will feel different, but I don't think they'd be interested in trading him. They've locked Jones in, and think part of the reason for the Murphy contract was to use him in a role to free up Jones to be used in more offensive situations. Besides, the team's been crap this year and his trade value isn't exactly at its peak. I'd think they hire a new coach this offseason and see what guys look like in a new system before moving any major pieces.

While you make some good points, I feel you and many other posters are missing the bigger picture. Chicago has a ton of young defensive prospects in their system ready to come up.

Moving out as many defenseman as possible for higher drafts picks and elite young prospects is what chicago badly needs.

Besides most of the young prospects are young enough to gain enough experience while going through a full rebuild.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Maybe a late 1st.

If you're drafting a defenseman at #25 or #30 you're hoping that one day he becomes Connor Murphy, a good 2nd pair player.
He himself was a #20 pick.

Reactions: Gilles Meloche

spot

Aug 26, 2007
I could see the Oilers willing to offer a 1st but also attaching Barrie and his contract to the trade

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not that Chicago is appealing these days but they wouldn't be doing themselves any favors by signing this guy to an extension before hitting UFA and then trading him before it even kicks in.

Reactions: Dr Danglefest

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
While you make some good points, I feel you and many other posters are missing the bigger picture. Chicago has a ton of young defensive prospects in their system ready to come up.

Moving out as many defenseman as possible for higher drafts picks and elite young prospects is what chicago badly needs.

Besides most of the young prospects are young enough to gain enough experience while going through a full rebuild.
None of the defensive prospects in your system look like they can take Murphys minutes. You should keep him.

Reactions: Pertti

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
None of the defensive prospects in your system look like they can take Murphys minutes. You should keep him.

The entire point of a rebuild and bringing up your prospects who are ready is to assimilate them over time. When murphy arrived in Chicago he wasn't the defensemen he is now nor was he able to log serious minutes.

Chicago last opportunity to win a cup was the 15/16 season after that stan royally screwed this team
It's time to tear it down completely and endure a long rebuild.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The entire point of a rebuild and bringing up your prospects who are ready is to assimilate them over time. When murphy arrived in Chicago he wasn't the defensemen he is now nor was he able to log serious minutes.

Chicago last opportunity to win a cup was the 15/16 season after that stan royally screwed this team
It's time to tear it down completely and endure a long rebuild.
He was ready though. He was already playing 20 minutes a night for the Coyotes.

Mitchell, Kaiser, Vlassic aren’t ready for the 22+ minutes he’s playing now. Chicago has been rushing guys to the NHL for far too long. If you want to actually rebuild, how about letting guys assimilate slowly?

Galvas has looked decent, although I’ve only seen him in person vs the CBJ. Not sure he’s ready either though..

You are right about Stan though.

Last edited:

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Cant help but think Connor would slide in next to Muzzin nicely for the Leaf's run (with retention).

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Maybe a late 1st.

If you're drafting a defenseman at #25 or #30 you're hoping that one day he becomes Connor Murphy, a good 2nd pair player.
He himself was a #20 pick.
By trading Murphy for a late 1st you are taking a risk that a defenseman at #25-30 might not pan out like Murphy, but on the flip side if the prospect pans out you're then getting the benefit of an ELC and RFA contract which is extremely valuable in a cap league.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Nobody is dealing a 1at and more for him he's not worth a 1sr
I'm just an interested third party but I wonder why you would believe Murphy isn't worth a 1st round pick?

Now I don't think he's worthy of a top 5-10 1st, but have you looked at the odds of a 1st round pick, especially one chosen later than 10th overall playing 100 games in the NHL?

Studies show players picked between 16th and 31st in the first round have only a 65% probability of playing 100 NHL games. Not of becoming a star mind you, just playing in 100 games. The 15th overall selection has been the unluckiest by far with only four out of 10 players selected in that spot reaching the 100 game threshold.

I think Murphy has a very high probability of playing more than 100 more NHL games. At 28 he's in the prime of his career.

I wouldn't imagine a rebuilding team like Montreal, Philly, Arizona, Columbus etc. would give up their likely early 1st round pick for him. He sure looks like he's worth a first to teams going for it.

Can you explain why you don't believe he's worth a first round pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad