Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
If one thing is for sure, there is a big drop off after the #3 spot. I think Konecny takes it at the end.

Honestly, have you even seen all players? Every year hyped up players fall and "unknown" players rise. If someone had Drouin ahead of Shinkaruk at the start of their draft year people would just call him a troll or something.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I know people are annoyed by the McDavid hype, and that's a part of the reason why some people keep saying Eichel and McDavid are closer than people think. But as far as the hype goes, what's the alternative? It's not like now people are going to stop hyping him and just say he normal potential overall pick, nothing special. He hasn't done anything to warrant people changing minds about their perception of him since he was put on the media's radar. It's just human nature to have a backlash against the hype. Doesn't change the type of prospect he is, all things being equal.

And this doesn't mean that Eichel is not the super prospect that he is.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I know people are annoyed by the McDavid hype, and that's a part of the reason why some people keep saying Eichel and McDavid are closer than people think. But as far as the hype goes, what's the alternative? It's not like now people are going to stop hyping him and just say he normal potential overall pick, nothing special. He hasn't done anything to warrant people changing minds about their perception of him since he was put on the media's radar. It's just human nature to have a backlash against the hype. Doesn't change the type of prospect he is, all things being equal.

And this doesn't mean that Eichel is not the super prospect that he is.

I'm not saying he has normal potential thats crazy. I'm merely stating that Eichel could be every bit the player McDavid can be.

Also if you have watched these players play you don't need hype to make up your mind. It very close from what I've watched.

Scarbarian*

Jack Eichel is Massively overrated

First off, I am not HATING on the kid and I definitely think he will be a top 5 pick when it's all said and done next year but for the life of me, I dunno why he is ranked so highly and almost on the par with McDavid since his small performance in u18 last year where he slightly outplayed McDavid by a small margin all on pure luck.

Very elite level prospect but in my serious opinion, he is no where near McDavid or ever will be. I think Hanifin is mor impressive then him and should be held as hype as much.

This is coming from an American born citizen as well.

Girgensons28

Jul 23, 2014
Portage, Indiana
First off, I am not HATING on the kid and I definitely think he will be a top 5 pick when it's all said and done next year but for the life of me, I dunno why he is ranked so highly and almost on the par with McDavid since his small performance in u18 last year where he slightly outplayed McDavid by a small margin all on pure luck.

Very elite level prospect but in my serious opinion, he is no where near McDavid or ever will be. I think Hanifin is mor impressive then him and should be held as hype as much.

McDavid is better, but if Eichel out plays him it's because of luck? He's a top prospect because he's an elite player. He's not overrated, he's the second best prospect for the draft.

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver

What kind of luck did Eichel have?? Lucky that McDavid didn't play as well as him? I don't understand

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
McDavid destroyed the 2013 U18s, I wonder what he could have done the next year. I bet McDavid would have broken records in 2014, then break his own in 2015 if he could play.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
McDavid destroyed the 2013 U18s, I wonder what he could have done the next year. I bet McDavid would have broken records in 2014, then break his own in 2015 if he could play.

I'm expecting a similar type of tournament from McDavid, not as dominate as the U18, but something very close. But, he has to be put in a position to do just that and Hockey Canada generally doesn't put 17 year old players in that position.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I'm expecting a similar type of tournament from McDavid, not as dominate as the U18, but something very close. But, he has to be put in a position to do just that and Hockey Canada generally doesn't put 17 year old players in that position.
The World Juniors?

I think they'll give McDavid big minutes, he's the next big thing and they know this is their last year with him and should give him a shot on the 1st line because they can't miss out on a potential gold medal again this year. If we win the gold, it'll be on the back of McDavid. Didn't McDavid play good minutes last year at the World Juniors?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The World Juniors?

I think they'll give McDavid big minutes, he's the next big thing and they know this is their last year with him and should give him a shot on the 1st line because they can't miss out on a potential gold medal again this year. If we win the gold, it'll be on the back of McDavid. Didn't McDavid play good minutes last year at the World Juniors?

you wrote, he was dominate at the U18 tournament. I wrote, I'm expecting a similar type of performance at the u20 as he had at the u18 (not as dominate as he was at the U18 in Sochi, but something reasonably close) provided of course HC puts him in that position, something which HC normally doesn't give to double-underagers. What Hockey Canada should do, what they say they'll do and what they actually end up doing are often polar opposites. so anything coming out of the office in Calgary, I'll wait and see.. I'm skeptical, until they prove otherwise.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
you wrote, he was dominate at the U18 tournament. I wrote, I'm expecting a similar type of performance at the u20 as he had at the u18 (not as dominate as he was at the U18 in Sochi, but something reasonably close) provided of course HC puts him in that position, something which HC normally doesn't give to double-underagers. What Hockey Canada should do, what they say they'll do and what they actually end up doing are often polar opposites. so anything coming out of the office in Calgary, I'll wait and see.. I'm skeptical, until they prove otherwise.
I'm confused. Why would they not play him as much as possible? There ain't no politics out there to explain that one away.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm confused. Why would they not play him as much as possible? There ain't no politics out there to explain that one away.

b/c Hockey Canada's mindset to the U20 tournament, in order to have any success at it, it's a tournament for 19 year old players; they follow and preach this philosophy to a fault. And while I agree to a certain extent, HC has historically always relied on the older, 19 year old player even if he is less skilled than the underage player. one recent example would be the 2013 Ufa tournament, Mark Scheifele gets a more significant role than Mackinnon who is relegated to a 4th line role. I would have had Scheifle on the 4th line and I would have had Nate as the 2nd line center...I'd identify who my best and most skilled players are and I'd WIN or LOSE with those players playing predominate roles. All due to respect to Scheifele, but I'd be damned if I am going to lose a tournament with him on my 1st line..not when I have younger more talented players to choose from.

Jack Eichel will undoubtedly be number 1 center for his team...

I'm not convinced that Hockey Canada will give the number 1 center role to McDavid... depending on who is and who isn't available. If Horvat doesn't make the Canucks, it's highly likely that Hockey Canada will give him the 1 scoring center role. That's not out of the realm of possibility given HC's approach to the U20 tournament.

Last edited:

Brandel*

McDavid is already 16 minutes into the season and he only has one point. Time to worry?

He's dominate out there. Completely controls the play when on the ice.

Last edited by a moderator:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Dylan Strome will be first overall, it's not even close. The way he's playing today, already 3 points, he's putting McOverRated to shame. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad