Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Anyone who's unbiased and has watched both players would conclude McDavid is the better talent. It's honestly not even close. Playing with Taylor Hall helps, sure, but give the kid some credit for being top ten in the league in points.

Hall and RNH should be sending some of their cheques to McDavid. They're getting to play against other teams 2nd D pairings now. McDavid is drawing all the hard matchups already.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Anyone who's unbiased and has watched both players would conclude McDavid is the better talent. It's honestly not even close. Playing with Taylor Hall helps, sure, but give the kid some credit for being top ten in the league in points.

He actually hasn't play alongside Hall since the second game, but I guess he does benefit from being with him on the PP.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He actually hasn't play alongside Hall since the second game, but I guess he does benefit from being with him on the PP.

They're not on the same PP unit either. McDavid is on the 2nd unit with Letestu and Yakupov.

Pouliot-Hall-RNH-Purcell-Klefbom is our first unit.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
:help: :huh:

This is the dumbest comment of this thread. How you can come to this conclusion after 11 games. Jack has 4 goals and all of them are highlight reel (McDavid has 5). If Eichels linemates would chip in goals and give him helpers he could be at the same point totals as McDavid. Difference? The massive amount of high end talent the Oilers have for sucking hard for a decade.

Stop being so butt hurt. Yah that elite linemate Pouliot and ol' bust Yakupov that he plays with. And oh yah that elite defense of Sekera, Fayne, Reinhart, Davidson passing him the puck. Give me a break.

Mcdavid has made his linemates better.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

How does playing with Taylor Hall help? Mcdavid's LW is Benoit Pouliot. His powerplay forwards as stated already are Yakupov and ****ing Letestu :laugh:

Everyone is an expert on Mcdavid

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
How does playing with Taylor Hall help? Mcdavid's LW is Benoit Pouliot. His powerplay forwards as stated already are Yakupov and ****ing Letestu :laugh:

Everyone is an expert on Mcdavid

One of McDavids first goals was an empty net tap in off a beauty of a pass by Taylor Hall, no?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
No, I said if - "if" - he continues the way he's going then even 2C might - "might" - be a stretch.

It's the difference between using qualifiers and not using qualifiers.

It's the difference between being obnoxious, and oh wait obnoxious.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
High end talent eh? Seems like yesterday everyone was calling them busts.

McDavid isn't benefiting that mch fr his linemates. He's playing with two guys that score 30-40 points and one was something like -35 two years in a row. They didn't suddenly become great and start carrying mcdavid, he's an 18 year old superstar and deserves a lot of credit.

I'm not even going to try to bring Eichel down, he's a great prospect and will do great things. No point getting into a petty battle over two teenagers. It'll be more interesting to compare them 5-10 years from now.
Oilers have always had high end talent, the Oilers system has just sucked and the full potential of your high end talent was never brought to the forefront. Yakupov was a #1 draft pick, the kid has skills he just needed a center to get him the puck and open up the ice.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
He's just not as good. Shouldn't even be a thread with this anymore.

Yeah, totally. Because we all know that a players career is decided in his first 12 games.
If one player is better than another player for the first 12 games of their careers, that can never ever change.

McDavid is definitely flashier. He looks better offensively too. But that's not all a career is judged on. Let's see which player helps their team have more success.
Just look at Jomathan Toews. He may not lead the league in points, but the guy knows how to win games. He is so clutch. I would take him over a guy like Stamkos or Ovechkin any day.

One thing is for sure, the McDavid vs. Eichel discussion is FAR from over.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Hope McDavid is all right.

McDavid is definitely flashier. He looks better offensively too. But that's not all a career is judged on. Let's see which player helps their team have more success.
Just look at Jomathan Toews. He may not lead the league in points, but the guy knows how to win games. He is so clutch. I would take him over a guy like Stamkos or Ovechkin any day.

"Knowing how to win games" is usually equivalent to "plays on a better team". The important thing is that both McDavid and Eichel are the kind of talent you can build around, and it's up to their respective management groups to do so. But whoever is the better hockey player may not necessarily have the more successful career.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Except that usually doesn't happen. We spent a good majority of the time last year trying to explain why Myers was good despite his stats. Nobody believed us then. Then he gets traded to Winnipeg and gets magically better. We bring out our old stats and say we predicted this and once again are told we are wrong and that Myers just sucked until he was traded and then learned to play hockey immediately after.

Who are all these folks who claimed Tyler Myers sucked? An overwhelming number of us knew he was good.

It was YOU who didnt defend him as just ' good' , you claimed he was GREAT and not for sale unless it was for 'massive overpayment'. Remember?

How did that turn out?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Tough break for Connor.

This injury gonna coincide with Sabre Oiler game?

Hope not.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
The first person to call McDavid injury prone will earn my everlasting hatred.

ok... so I wasn't first... but I do have a question you might hate...

Who in the league wouldn't trade their entire prospect base for McDavid? No one, right?

I love the kid, and wish him the best. I'm amazed at seeing the actual play and seeing the vitriol surrounding it. Cross-checking? Holding? WTF?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Tough break for Connor.

This injury gonna coincide with Sabre Oiler game?

Hope not.

Its believed to be a clavicle fracture as per reports, which could mean anywhere from 6-12 weeks depending on the severity of it, but likely at least 8. So almost an automatic no to the first game, but he'll definitely be back for the game in Buffalo in March.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Who are all these folks who claimed Tyler Myers sucked? An overwhelming number of us knew he was good.

It was YOU who didnt defend him as just ' good' , you claimed he was GREAT and not for sale unless it was for 'massive overpayment'. Remember?

How did that turn out?

I actually don't remember that, could you please quote the post where I said that? Since it was ME who said that.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yes! Just came here to post this.

Now the eichel discreditors will really have to reach

Who needs fancystats when you have points? :sarcasm:

I do think those charts reinforce what many fans have already noted just from watching Eichel play: he could easily have twice as many points as he does if he didn't have such crappy puck luck to start the season. He's driving possession and generating chances.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Geeze sounds like the Oiler factor at work again. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, draft an elite guy at the top, get him into the NHL asap, and boom he's hurt.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Hope McDavid is all right.

"Knowing how to win games" is usually equivalent to "plays on a better team". The important thing is that both McDavid and Eichel are the kind of talent you can build around, and it's up to their respective management groups to do so. But whoever is the better hockey player may not necessarily have the more successful career.

Glad you added "usually" to that statement otherwise I would completely disagree. As it is I only strongly disagree. Knowing how to win means playing each game with in a way that will allow you to do so. For an individual that takes time and of course talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad