Connor McDavid Playoff Performance

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

brodano

Oct 19, 2011
lol, ok buddy. I've followed the NBA for many years too, and the NBA is basically 100% a cap league basically, meaning there are virtually no trades that aren't cap dumps.

And sure I think Vegas would take Eberle. Even if they were dumb enough to choose .... Beniot Pouliot or whoever off our unprotected list instead in that scenario, there are several takers for Eberle. Islanders probably chief among them, but even so here's a cap pro tip for you baby girl.

Eberle is only 2 years term left, which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

sounds like youre really reaching here... correct me if i am wrong, but not only are you comparing the NHL to NBA, youre comparing their caps?

There is no cap in the NBA?

ask charles barkley what you should watch :laugh:

your point is MOOT

brodano

Oct 19, 2011
sorry i will admit i did not read that properly. however it doesnt matter about the NBA, you guys are stuck with those contracts. you even admitted it yourself.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
sounds like youre really reaching here... correct me if i am wrong, but not only are you comparing the NHL to NBA, youre comparing their caps?

There is no cap in the NBA?

ask charles barkley what you should watch :laugh:

your point is MOOT

I'm saying in general NHL fans are not that sophisticated with cap terms. Many don't understand basic concepts like cap term or expirers of the significance of such (from the sounds of it you don't either), you talk to an NBA fan and they understand that stuff inside out because the NBA has had a salary cap for much longer.

And yes there is a salary cap in the NBA and the GMs are far more astute at exploiting it than NHL teams are with their cap structures (you guys think that David Clarkson cap dump was something special, lol, that happens every 2 months in the NBA).

I'm just saying if your point was to give a "salary cap lecture" to someone on this board, you climbed up the wrong tree. I love the salary cap aspect of pro sports and look at the Oilers cap structure several times a week.

I think you bit off a bit more than you can chew with this argument.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
sorry i will admit i did not read that properly. however it doesnt matter about the NBA, you guys are stuck with those contracts. you even admitted it yourself.

Just like you were stuck with David Clarkson and Dion Phaneuf, amiright?

Eberle and RNH have considerably more trade value than either, as a cap dump they'd both be easy to move.

brodano

Oct 19, 2011
you know what tho? the oil are legit, what we saw in the playoffs is not an aberration of them. In fact, what you saw from the oilers in the playoffs is much what you saw in the final months of the season.

i thought they were terrific, they were much more than Cam Talbot at one end and Connor Mcdavid at the other, like they were for much of that regular season.the emergence of drais and much better defense they will only continue to make tweaks and better their line up.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Leon is legit, that kid is their true playoff stud. Oilers, if they're smart, should split them up and put Leon on his own line and McDavid on his own and move Eberle and RNH to bolster their lines going forward full-time to round them out better that way, they have a shot at having their own Crosby-Malkin 1-2 punch if their coach is smart. The playoffs proved Leon is more than deserving of his own line and can dominate games in ways Connor can not.

It's threads like these that make me so so so happy that the Leafs didn't get McDavid.:laugh:

You mock Leafs fans, but Oilers fans haven't exactly been the most rationale in regards to Connor as well. I mean the comparison to Crosby's first playoffs, etc...don't even get me started. Matthews is a freaking rookie and has performed admirably, but even the Leafs surprised many by making the playoffs this year.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
i dont watch it either, however, there is a lux tax. do you know what that is ? :laugh:

Nope, literally sitting here asking my best friend because he follows NFL and NBA.

I follow NHL and WWE (run far far away from the latter)

But from what I understand from my friend is if the team goes over the cap they get penalized. Don't know how, nor do I care how.

brodano

Oct 19, 2011
Just like you were stuck with David Clarkson and Dion Phaneuf, amiright?

Eberle and RNH have considerably more trade value than either, as a cap dump they'd both be easy to move.
are you a mind reader?

can you see the future???

yeah we pulled off the steal of the century getting rid of clarkson... gm of the year candidate really...

but to pretend that vegas will take ebs... haha youre in the wrong thread. Go to trade rumours. they wouldn't hang themselves with some soft no body for 6 mill a year. get real.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
I seriously question what games people were watching if they thought he didn't do great.

A kid, his first playoffs, scored, assisted, generated chances, used his speed etc.

just because he didn't pick away at the opposition and score 4 points a game doesn't mean a damn thing. It's the playoffs, things get tight.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Ultimately if your roster discussions focus on your top studs, you are a likely a "new money" player in the playoffs and likely not a contender. Contenders are refining their third and fourth lines and don't worry as much about the top lines.

Depth is really important in the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
are you a mind reader?

can you see the future???

yeah we pulled off the steal of the century getting rid of clarkson... gm of the year candidate really...

but to pretend that vegas will take ebs... haha youre in the wrong thread. Go to trade rumours. they wouldn't hang themselves with some soft no body for 6 mill a year. get real.

They have to take one player per team? Correct?

OK so our unprotected list probably looks like this if we don't protect Eberle ...

Eberle, Beniot Pouliot, Mark Fayne, Iiro Pakarienen, Griffin Reinhart, Laurent Broissoit.

Eberle is clearly the best player on that list and likely one of the better wingers they are going to find. Beyond that they need to hit the cap floor so it's not like they can just take a ton of guys on low level deals, and cap term (since you're a cap expert) is only 2 years, which is nothing.

It's not like Vegas is winning a Cup in one year, so all Eberle does it get them to the cap floor.

Beyond that, it's a fair bet a large part of their attendance early on will be Canadian snowbirds/tourists, and Eberle because of his World Junior feats and being a former star player in a Canadian city could put a few more butts in the seats. It's not like he's 32 either, dude is 25 years old and only a couple years removed from several 60+ point seasons.

So no, I don't think you really thought your comments out here. Beyond that though that would be bad asset management, as the Oilers could likely get assets for Eberle still from someone else. From Edmonton Vegas is most likely to take Beniot Pouliot or Griffin Reinhart.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
And depth is actually something you can do things about; most contenders aren't much able to alter the top of their lineups.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

OK so our unprotected list probably looks like this if we don't protect Eberle ...

Eberle, Beniot Pouliot, Mark Fayne, Iiro Pakarienen, Griffin Reinhart, Laurent Broissoit.

Eberle is clearly the best player on that list and likely one of the better wingers they are going to find. Beyond that they need to hit the cap floor so it's not like they can just take a ton of guys on low level deals, and cap term (since you're a cap expert) is only 2 years, which is nothing.

It's not like Vegas is winning a Cup in one year, so all Eberle does it get them to the cap floor.

Beyond that, it's a fair bet a large part of their attendance early on will be Canadian snowbirds/tourists, and Eberle because of his World Junior feats and being a former star player in a Canadian city could put a few more butts in the seats. It's not like he's 32 either, dude is 25 years old and only a couple years removed from several 60+ point seasons.

So no, I don't think you really thought your comments out here. Beyond that though that would be bad asset management, as the Oilers could likely get assets for Eberle still.

Yeah I don't see how Vegas doesn't take Eberle, sure the kid had a horrendous playoffs, but I mean, Vegas wants to win now and in a different environment, coaching style/system and linemates, he could be a threat.

Also, a guy signed at 6m/yr but is fully capable of producing 50-70+ pts? Yeah the Vegas team will probably have the cap space to add him.

brodano

Oct 19, 2011

So no, I don't think you really thought your comments out here. Beyond that though that would be bad asset management, as the Oilers could likely get assets for Eberle still from someone else. From Edmonton Vegas is most likely to take Beniot Pouliot or Griffin Reinhart.

youre still reaching. i can bet my mortgage that they will not grab Eberle. Never heard someone fluff him harder than what youre doing right now. haha if he is that good why dont you keep him?? :sarcasm: :laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
youre still reaching. i can bet my mortgage that they will not grab Eberle. Never heard someone fluff him harder than what youre doing right now. haha if he is that good why dont you keep him?? :sarcasm: :laugh:

They won't grab him because they won't have a chance to in all likelyhood. Oilers will trade him for like a Ryan Strome or something. Islanders are desperate to get Tavares help, and Tavares and Eberle are buddies.

New Jersey would likely gladly take Eberle too, he's Hall's BFF and they need more help upfront anyway and have a low salary cap hit.

I'm not reaching at all, he's a 25 year old skilled winger not that far removed from several 60+ point seasons with low term on his deal. Several teams would take him. Islanders, Devils, Canucks, Avalanche, Coyotes, just straight off the top without going the Vegas route.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
They won't grab him because they won't have a chance to in all likelyhood. Oilers will trade him for like a Ryan Strome or something. Islanders are desperate to get Tavares help, and Tavares and Eberle are buddies.

New Jersey would likely gladly take Eberle too, he's Hall's BFF
and they need more help upfront anyway and have a low salary cap hit.

Just made me remember how Parise and Suter are buddies...god I hate the Wild.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Ultimately if your roster discussions focus on your top studs, you are a likely a "new money" player in the playoffs and likely not a contender. Contenders are refining their third and fourth lines and don't worry as much about the top lines.

Depth is really important in the playoffs.

And that is exactly what we were and what everyone expected the Oilers to be this season. The fact that we were a game from the conference finals tells us we're not far from being a contender, and we only need a few tweaks here and there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Anyways for McDavid/Oiler haters ...

I'd much rather have had Connor gotten a couple more points and been a PPG in the playoffs, and had the Oilers bow out as a one man show than what actually transpired in this playoffs, where Draisaitl looks like he will be a superstar player too and the rest of the team showed pretty impressive bounce back ability for such a young group in some extreme situations (ie: being able to battle back from scenarios that would've broken many veteran teams even).

The bodes worse for that crowd because it shows more Stanley Cup mettle IMO. I'd rather have a one dimensional team, the Oilers are showed much more than that though.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
just change your user name to devil's advocate

imagine how high your post count would be :naughty:

It's cool I'm just tired and there is really shady things going on outside my home right now, so I'm trying to stay up to make sure nothing shady happens actually in my house.

To your logic about me being on a bandwagon. Basically if I don't have a team in my state I just can't be a fan of another team? Brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad