Connor McDavid Playoff Performance

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Except Crosby was actually good and was PPG in his 1st playoffs, then was dominant the next year in a SCF loss, and dominant again the next year in a SCF win.
Which would be 82 points over a season. Crosby scored 120 points that year. So, I think their dropoff was exactly the same, although I'm terrible at math and might be completely wrong.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Crosby has 14 points in 11 games in the playoffs :popcorn:
Not bad for a guy that got a concussion then followed up by almost snapping his neck.

McDavid, was gripping his stick pretty hard and made some really bone headed plays coming into the zone, brain not in sync with his his hands. Also playoff hockey does not tolerate outright skill nearly as well as in the regular season.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he was bad enough that all of a sudden Austin Mathews is better! Which makes Mathews in the same sentence as McDavid! yes!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not bad for a guy that got a concussion then followed up by almost snapping his neck.

McDavid, was gripping his stick pretty hard and made some really bone headed plays coming into the zone, brain not in sync with his his hands. Also playoff hockey does not tolerate outright skill nearly as well as in the regular season.

It's almost as if one guy has 12 games playoff experience and the other has over 130.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Well, well.. When the worst/slowest defensmen are gone, and better teams aren't playing with the lousy regular season effort..

Look who had problems - Our Golden boy. :snide:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Which would be 82 points over a season. Crosby scored 120 points that year. So, I think their dropoff was exactly the same, although I'm terrible at math and might be completely wrong.

You're actually right, the percentage drop off is pretty similar in PPG production for both McDavid and Crosby in their first playoffs.

I still think there was an assist given to Nugent Hopkins which was actually McDavid's point earlier in the series too.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Ya'll really missing the net on the OPs initial question: Is Connor McDavid's play-style suited for the play-offs?

No, it's not. Dari was easily the best player for the Oilers this post-season. And a large part of that is his much more crash and bang style. Let's be real, dirty goals are a huge part of play-off hockey. Drai's playstyle is much more "playoff" hockey than McDavids. Infact, watching McDavid play, I am kind of surprised he is listed at 6-1, 200lbs. I would have guessed he was closer to Patrick Kane's 5-11. McDavid is a generational talent, don't mistake me, but right now his game is way to reliant on generating speed through the neutral zone to score off a rush. That's his bread and butter, that's where he shines. Give him time, I am sure he will adapt, but that adaptation is merely evidence that his current style isn't suited for the post-season. Connor needs to find that next level.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think it's fair to say that the Oilers needed him to be better if they were going to move on. He was good but we count on him to be great.

I don't see any reason he can't learn from this and come back better though.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Just Not Ready
1494477617099.gif

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
Ya'll really missing the net on the OPs initial question: Is Connor McDavid's play-style suited for the play-offs?

No, it's not. Dari was easily the best player for the Oilers this post-season. And a large part of that is his much more crash and bang style. Let's be real, dirty goals are a huge part of play-off hockey. Drai's playstyle is much more "playoff" hockey than McDavids. Infact, watching McDavid play, I am kind of surprised he is listed at 6-1, 200lbs. I would have guessed he was closer to Patrick Kane's 5-11. McDavid is a generational talent, don't mistake me, but right now his game is way to reliant on generating speed through the neutral zone to score off a rush. That's his bread and butter, that's where he shines. Give him time, I am sure he will adapt, but that adaptation is merely evidence that his current style isn't suited for the post-season. Connor needs to find that next level.

:handclap: Absolutely spot on.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
He's a really superstar but not a generational talent. Crosby is still on whole different level than everybody else.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I think it's fair to say that the Oilers needed him to be better if they were going to move on. He was good but we count on him to be great.

I don't see any reason he can't learn from this and come back better though.

Oh I'm sure he'll be going over lots of tape and being shown what the highest scoring players in the league were doing that was successful and what he was or wasn't doing that made him less successful.

I'm sure we'll see an improvement the next time he makes it into the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a really superstar but not a generational talent. Crosby is still on whole different level than everybody else.

Where did Sid lead the Penguins to in his sophomore season? *crickets*

This is like all the people who jumped all over LeBron James for not being as good as Kobe Bryant initially in his career. Well we've seen that even out considerably as time has gone on to the point where now many consider James to have the better career (and counting).

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
He didn't do terribly. First year in the playoffs adjusting to getting the best D men on the other team learning his tendencies and smothering him for 7 games. Crosby was lost in his first playoff series against the Senators. It happens. In some ways McDavid was still a rookie. Certainly in a playoff sense.

It's a different animal to draw the same D-men for a whole series. They learn you and you learn them. But they've been through it before, and you haven't, in his case.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
You're actually right, the percentage drop off is pretty similar in PPG production for both McDavid and Crosby in their first playoffs.

I still think there was an assist given to Nugent Hopkins which was actually McDavid's point earlier in the series too.
That's good, I hardly even trust myself with a calculator.

Yes, being the best (or eventual best) player in the world will translate into playoff success. :huh:

DIDN'T Matthews have the same or more points in less than half as many games?
This sample size, for both players, means practically nothing. Also the Washington Capitals being amazing defensively is kind of a myth.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think anyone is debating he didn't have a sub par playoffs this go. And I don't think anyone is debating that some generational talents (and teams) are just really really really really good in the regular season, and then just kinda fizzle out in the playoffs. I think it's way too early to say that about McDavid and this Oilers team, but it's also way too early to rule it out entirely....

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
DIDN'T Matthews have the same or more points in less than half as many games?

Yeah all the Leafs rookies didn't show much of a learning curve in their series with the Caps. I'm inclined to attribute it to the very up-tempo, firewagon, style game the Leafs lured the Caps into playing games 1 through 4. Matthews is gonna be a top 3 player too, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about McDavid not setting the NHL on fire in his first playoffs.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
No, he really wasn't anything close to great. Anyone who actually watched the games knows that.

9 points in 13 games. 54.8% corsi for %, 51.3% Fenwick for. While playing the top defensive defenceman in the game the 1st round and arguably the top defensive forward this year in the second. This in his first playoffs.

He faced insane coverage, still looked very good and opened up SO much room for the rest of the team.

It wasn't his dominance from the regular season or as good as Crosby's first playoff. But by any other metric it was a very good first playoff.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Mcdavid looks ordinary when he isn't padding his stats vs bottom feeder pacific teams like van arizona.

Completely no show especially game 7 . Very perimeter based game like Ovechkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad