OT: Connor McDavid or Playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
What would you rather have next year? Get into the playoffs, but only have a 5% chance of winning the cup or have a terrible year but get Connor McDavid.

Sorry if this is a stupid thread, but I thought it'd be fun to see what people thought.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreChamps
Jul 13, 2013
Should have added Eichel to the poll, but either way, as constructed now we're in the worst possible scenario. Probably not good enough for playoffs, but not bad enough for bottom 3 (probably not even bottom 5).

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Should probably have voted for the playoffs, or at least that was the right thing to do, but I want McDavid too much so couldn't resist.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
It. Is. A. Lottery.

You can't set out with acquiring Conner McDavid as a goal. It's not something you can attain. It's a gift that is given randomly. I don't want to turn this into a tanking thread, but tanking is dumb. Even if we don't make it far into the playoffs, it will do so much good to the psyche of our players and the fanbase.

Aksu

We did it.
Nov 10, 2013
Finland
It. Is. A. Lottery.

You can't set out with acquiring Conner McDavid as a goal. It's not something you can attain. It's a gift that is given randomly. I don't want to turn this into a tanking thread, but tanking is dumb. Even if we don't make it far into the playoffs, it will do so much good to the psyche of our players and the fanbase.

Agree 100%. Getting to the playoffs would do good for our kids, especially the fans, and the franchise in general.

MPGA

Make the Panthers Great Again
Nov 25, 2013
You're forgetting that McDavid is supposed to be a generational talent. So if we happen to finish last, we are bound to get hosed by the lottery system.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
Playoffs.

Tired of the losing. Acquire another 2015 1st rounder and hope that team blows a tire and finishes low in the standings. :naughty:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Anyone who says McDavid is basically advocating losing on purpose, the complete opposite of what you're supposed to do in a hockey game.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
As a fan of McDavid, we need to make the playoffs. We have enough assets to acquire talent. Now, we just need to make the playoffs to change the culture and make this a destination.

wint

Jun 10, 2002
Inside
Visit site
Finishing in last place almost certainly means that:

- neither Kulikov nor Gudbranson break out as a legit top 4
- probably 2 of Huberdeau, Bjugstad and Barkov stagnate or regress
- the vets are not successful in picking up the slack or growing the young ones

That's a heavy price to pay for a generational talent. Still, I voted for McDavid. This team + someone in the realm of Tavares/Stamkos/McKinnon or possibly a Crosby/Malkin would make us massively more likely to make deep cup runs for the next decade. And the OP stated that we're in last place and actually get McDavid, as opposed to simply being in last place and having the best chance in the lottery.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
its the best draft dept wise in the first round... id rather do better and end up drafting like 10-12... then suck... because that means our team went through more crap...I want tallon to stay here as he has drafted well for us. So a major improvement would be great.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
i think since the draft is in florida, the local fans (ok, the 5% non-tourists/snowbirds that show up) - you see the interviews of the sofla kids at development camp - seeing weiss being drafted made them fans. i think drafting the best prospect since crosby would be a massive hype and great for the fanbase. but making the playoffs is probably as important, and a lot better for the kids

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We're not going to get McDavid, so it's pointless to wish for it.

I want to see stability within the organization and progression. Its time for this train to start moving forward. We've already had more top picks than any team could hope for. They need to start experiencing the joy of winning and the motivation to become better as a team.

Jan 19, 2006
It's better for the long term health of this franchise to finish in 9th place and miss the playoffs than to finish dead last and draft McDavid.

McDavid may be a generational talent, but one guy will not make a great hockey team.

For the Panthers to be that bad, it means everything that has been building the past 5 years has utterly failed.... all the promising young talent has disappointed... everything must be torn down and built anew... new coaching staff... new GM...

In other words back to square one.

This one should not even be a close vote.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Anyone who says McDavid is basically advocating losing on purpose, the complete opposite of what you're supposed to do in a hockey game.

This...until it's too late obviously. Once mathematically out, IR and and call up everybody.

BureCT22

May 8, 2014
I would usually say go to the playoffs to gain some experience for these kids but getting McDavid would solidify what our biggest need is. Obviously this is the only way we can get a superstar, none want to sign here and Tallon obviously doesn't make top tier trades so if it's ever going to happen I really hope it's next year. Please tank, this team isn't close to contending for anything.

Catsfan7

Jun 6, 2011
Coral Springs, FL
What people aren't thinking in this thread is are the playoffs a one time anomaly like 11-12 or the actual turning of the corner? I'll go playoffs but that is the question I'd be asking.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
right now we can have a successful season improve.. kids get better.. and still draft a guy like Daniel Sprong/Pavel Zacha/Mikko Rantanen

a guy like Sprong would not only add to our team by having the best name... but give us another sniper prospect.

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
Pretty much a given we will not be on the bottom because there is a franchise potential player. We never ever end up with a top 3 pick those years

Mogo

Jun 26, 2002
Finishing in last place almost certainly means that:

- neither Kulikov nor Gudbranson break out as a legit top 4
- probably 2 of Huberdeau, Bjugstad and Barkov stagnate or regress
- the vets are not successful in picking up the slack or growing the young ones

That's a heavy price to pay for a generational talent. Still, I voted for McDavid. This team + someone in the realm of Tavares/Stamkos/McKinnon or possibly a Crosby/Malkin would make us massively more likely to make deep cup runs for the next decade. And the OP stated that we're in last place and actually get McDavid, as opposed to simply being in last place and having the best chance in the lottery.

It would also mean the end of Tallon

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Trade for a another first (not young assets). Make the playoffs. Have the extra first win the lottery. Done. :)
The playoffs are the most important thing for this franchise right now. So that's got to happen. But Mcdavid would do so much for this franchise, it's hard to ignore. And drafting him at home too :nod:.
Both.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad