Conn Smythe Tournament (Post 2000's) Round 3: 2003 Giguere vs 2012 Quick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Conn Smythe Winner had the better performance?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #1 (Round 3): J.S Giguere (2003) vs Jonathan Quick (2012)

Jean Sebastien Giguere (2002-03):

21 GP 15 W 6 L 1.62 GAA .945 Sv%

Jonathan Quick (2011-12):
20 GP 16 W 1.41 GAA .946 Sv% 3 Shutouts

Round 3 Matchups:

03 Giguere vs 12 Quick
09 Malkin vs 18 Ovechkin
10 Toews vs 15 Keith

Round 2 Results

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings4Life

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Going with Quick. He was insane in all four rounds. I’ll repeat what I said in the first round of these polls:

He let up more than two goals in a game just twice (both were 3 goals) during that run, only 29 total in 20 games, and 7 in 6 SCF games. His SV% ranks 12th highest in a playoff run all-time and his GAA is 6th. No one else ahead of him in either category played more than two rounds, and most played only one.

Combine all that with also winning the Cup and Giguere’s worst series being the Finals itself, including a horrific performance in the pivotal Game 5, and I have to give the edge to Quick.

Reactions: DaveG

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Quick. It's the most dominant run in this stretch. Bad goals lose games and lose series, and he never put any in doubt. Giguere's run was very good, but there were hiccups - particularly in the Final - that Quick doesn't have. Also, Giguere got a little bit of a boost from playing an expansion team whose game plan was the same as theirs: dump bags of sand on the rink until time expires.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have to go with Giguere, in large part due to degree of difficulty. It's not Quick's fault that he played behind a team that was dominant defensively, and he was nearly flawless behind that team. Giguere had to do more and did. I wouldn't fault a Quick vote though. Quick didn't need to steal games and did a great job of not blowing games, which is generally what I want in a goaltender, but Giguere stole several games.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
The answer is Giguere. Let’s put it this way. If Martin Gerber plays for the Ducks in ‘03 instead of Giguere, the Ducks don’t win one game against Detroit in the first round. If Bernier takes the place of Quick for Los Angeles then the Kings still probably win the Cup that year.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The answer is Giguere. Let’s put it this way. If Martin Gerber plays for the Ducks in ‘03 instead of Giguere, the Ducks don’t win one game against Detroit in the first round. If Bernier takes the place of Quick for Los Angeles then the Kings still probably win the Cup that year.
It's not Quick's fault that Los Angeles smoked teams but.... yeah. One of the funniest things to me is that Giguere had three shutouts in those playoffs where his team scored a single goal, and two of those games were in overtime. I think that the 1-0 that didn't go to overtime had a very late goal that essentialy made it sudden death as well. Also a triple overtime game against Detroit that Anaheim won 2-1, somewhere over 60 shots against Giguere. I don't know of another goaltender outright winning more playoffs games for their team. Even with his maligned finals performance, Anaheim won 3/4 games in which the team actually scored a goal.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
isnt this kind of inevitable that Malkin will win? you can cross toews and Keith off now and ovi isnt beating malkin. So its Giguere vs Malkin likely. So it comes down to whether you think Gigureres lack of team talent is more important than Malkins flat out dominance of the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad