Conn Smythe Tournament (Post 2000's) Round 1: 2010 Toews vs 2017 Crosby

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Conn Smythe Winner had the better performance?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #8 (Round 1): Jonathan Toews (2010) vs Sidney Crosby (2017)

Jonathan Toews (2009-10):

22 GP 7 G 22 A 29 Points

Sidney Crosby (2016-17):

24 GP 8 G 19 A 27 Points

Round 1 Matchups:
01 Roy
vs 21 Vasilevsky Thread
02 Lidstrom vs 22 Makar Thread
03 Giguere
vs 11 Thomas Thread
04 Richards vs 14 Williams Thread
06 Ward vs 12 Quick Thread
07 Niedermayer vs 19 O’Reilly (Still Active) Thread
08 Zetterberg vs 09 Malkin Thread
10 Toews vs 17 Crosby
13 Kane vs 18 Ovechkin
15 Keith vs 20 Hedman
16 Crosby vs 23 Marchessault

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Toews was better, but he also had better support around him, as that 2017 Penguins team was basically a glass cannon BEFORE the injuries piled up. Nowhere near as dominant as the team the year before (2016).

All of Toews’ underlying numbers are better, Crosby was actually underwater those playoffs, but pretty much the whole team was because Sullivan essentially turned them into a bend-dont-break counter-punch team to deal with the injuries.

TL; DR version: Toews was better, Crosby was more valuable. I can see the argument for either depending on your philosophy.

Homer voted Toews

Last edited:

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
I know it's fashionable to hate on Toews and all but the guy seems to always have been underrated on HF

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Toews easily.

Maybe the best forward performance in these polls after Malkin and Zetterberg.

Toews was better, but he also had better support around him, as that 2017 Penguins team was basically a glass cannon BEFORE the injuries piled up. Nowhere near as dominant as the team the year before (2016).

All of Toews’ underlying numbers are better, Crosby was actually underwater those playoffs, but pretty much the whole team was because Sullivan essentially turned them into a bend-dont-break counter-punch team to deal with the injuries.

TL; DR version: Toews was better, Crosby was more valuable. I can see the argument for either depending on your philosophy.

Homer voted Toews
I recall Letang being hurt but who else was out?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Toews easily.

Maybe the best forward performance in these polls after Malkin and Zetterberg.

I recall Letang being hurt but who else was out?

My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember both Hagelin and Hornquist missing a bunch of games that playoff as well.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Homer voted Toews
Toews underlying numbers were better because his team's Dmen and wingers were better at every level

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Toews underlying numbers were better because his team's Dmen and wingers were better at every level

True. The 2010 Blackhawks were a much better, deeper team than the 2017 Penguins at every position other than goalie.

But the team was also better with Toews on the ice than without him, on account he was the only elite centerman on the team.

He was driving play and uplifting his teammates every bit as much as they were helping him.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I will always maintain that Crosby deserved the 2017 Conn Smythe, despite agreeing with many who had Kessel over him in 2016.

Crosby's performance in Game 5 of the 2017 SCF was masterful. He absolutely carried the team on his back.

I give the edge to Sid over Toews.

Reactions: wetcoast

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Toews feasted on weak opponents the first few rounds but was MIA in the finals.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Toews by a bit, sort of a mid level Conn Smythe versus one of the lowest ones in the polls.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
27 points. Great all around game. Faceoff beast. Leading scorer in the finals. Yeah he sucked

Toews had more points in fewer games
over 60% at the dot
Beast of a two-way player

The only thing Crosby had was a better Finals but of course Nashville had lost Johansen to injury so Crosby was matched up against 36-yr old Mike Fisher? I sure hope he had a better finals.
Crosby was also under 50% at the dot, faceoff beast, what?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Are you two thinking of the 2016 Crosby year? Curious why this one would be considered one of the worst
No, 2016 is pretty much the clear worst one. At least among skaters. It's just a very generic Conn Smythe win.

Reactions: Voight

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
over 60% at the dot

The only thing Crosby had was a better Finals but of course Nashville had lost Johansen to injury so Crosby was matched up against 36-yr old Mike Fisher? I sure hope he had a better finals.

To be fair Toews was a - player for the playoffs and was really, really bad in the final

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
over 60% at the dot

Not to mention Philly had beast mode Pronger who was a force the first 4 or so games.

Reactions: Voight

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I will always maintain that Crosby deserved the 2017 Conn Smythe, despite agreeing with many who had Kessel over him in 2016.

Crosby's performance in Game 5 of the 2017 SCF was masterful. He absolutely carried the team on his back.

I give the edge to Sid over Toews.
Went with this as Crosby was much better in the finals as well overall but Toews had a great run as well poll is 44-40 for JT and it really should be this close.

Letang missing the entire playoffs certainly puts Crosby's performance ina better light as well.

All that being said I took about 4 or 5 minutes to compare the 2 runs and we really aren't doing much justice here with these polls and a gut reaction form 75% of voters are we?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I’m never bought in those past attempts to say that Toews was overall better than Crosby (as was an inane talking point for a few years there among some talking head circles), but comparing these two playoff runs I’d honestly give the edge to Toews.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad