Conn Smythe Tournament (Post 2000's) Round 1: 2006 Ward vs 2012 Quick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which Conn Smythe Winner had the better performance?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #5 (Round 1): Cam Ward (2006) vs Jonathan Quick (2012)

Cam Ward (2005-06):

23 GP 15 W 2.14 GAA .920 Sv% 2 Shutouts

Jonathan Quick (2011-12):

20 GP 16 W 1.41 GAA .946 Sv% 3 Shutouts

Round 1 Matchups:

01 Roy
vs 21 Vasilevsky Thread
02 Lidstrom vs 22 Makar Thread
03 Giguere
vs 11 Thomas Thread
04 Richards vs 14 Williams Thread
06 Ward vs 12 Quick
07 Niedermayer vs 19 O’Reilly
08 Zetterberg vs 09 Malkin
10 Toews vs 17 Crosby
13 Kane vs 18 Ovechkin
15 Keith vs 20 Hedman
16 Crosby vs 23 Marchessault

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Quick let up more than two goals in a game just twice (both were 3 goals) during that run, only 29 total in 20 games, and 7 in 6 SCF games. His SV% ranks 12th highest in a playoff run all-time and his GAA is 6th. No one else ahead of him in either category played more than two rounds, and most played only one.

It's easily him.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This is a tough one for me because Quick's performance is clearly better, but that LA Kings team was such a possession juggernaut, that I'm pretty sure they could have placed a potato on the goal line (wearing a tiny Kings sweater, obviously) and still won the cup. That Quick performance was what took a cup-winning team to a team that lead every series 3-0.

So are you the most valuable for taking success to overkill success?

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Carolina doesn't win the cup without Ward's great performance, which would technically make him more valuable.

I'm going to vote for Ward with the full knowledge that Quick will win, so I can have my cake and eat it too.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Back in 2012, Quick wouldn’t have even been my pick for the Smythe. The Kings that year played arguably the best defense I’ve seen from a team ever. It felt like Quick just kinda had to be there.

I’ve come to appreciate Quick’s run that year a lot more over the years. There’s a very select few goalies that have matched that level of consistent solid goaltending throughout an entire playoff run. He might not have had to make as many miraculous saves as some other goalies, but you can’t say that he ever cost the team any games, and that’s very rare.

This should be a sweep for Quick

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Back in 2012, Quick wouldn’t have even been my pick for the Smythe. The Kings that year played arguably the best defense I’ve seen from a team ever. It felt like Quick just kinda had to be there.

I’ve come to appreciate Quick’s run that year a lot more over the years. There’s a very select few goalies that have matched that level of consistent solid goaltending throughout an entire playoff run. He might not have had to make as many miraculous saves as some other goalies, but you can’t say that he ever cost the team any games, and that’s very rare.

This should be a sweep for Quick

It’s kind of one of those things where you start to wonder what the limit is for what’s possible for a goalie regardless of how good the team in front is. Like a .946SV% and 1.41 GAA is just so good that I’m not sure if anyone could really improve much on the situation even if they didn’t have to make as many hard stops as some others.

I mean every series was at least a .939SV%. Only had one game under a .900 SV%. Never let up more than 3 goals and only did that twice. Every series went up 3-0. Just insane consistency.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Quick was better - but Ward was also truly great that run. Sometimes he gets overlooked. He really came out of nowhere too, a rookie and not even the #1 goalie going into the playoffs, so it was a hell of a run for him.

But yes - Quick is better.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Quick, and while the team in front of him played tremendously he still made the most of it. Ward was good but it's also one of those Conn Smythe goaltending wins where they can't pinpoint a clear winner so the goaltender gets it.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Quick let up more than two goals in a game just twice (both were 3 goals) during that run, only 29 total in 20 games, and 7 in 6 SCF games. His SV% ranks 12th highest in a playoff run all-time and his GAA is 6th. No one else ahead of him in either category played more than two rounds, and most played only one.

It's easily him.

According to Wikipedia, Quick’s sv% is the highest all time (min 10 starts).

Reactions: Lt Dan

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
According to Wikipedia, Quick’s sv% is the highest all time (min 10 starts).

Plante and Bower are both higher even with that stipulation.

.950 and .949 with 10 starts apiece. That’s according to me looking it up on NHL.com in the records section. Whoever edited the Wiki for Quick would need to tag it as (min 11 starts).

Overall though, I alluded before that Quick just might be the most impressive because he played four rounds, no one else played more than two, many only played one (and thus single digits for nearly all) and in this case, he played double the games of Plante and Bower.

Absolute monster of a postseason that doesn’t seem to get quite the level of shine that it deserves.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
2012 Quick should win this whole thing. He stole multiple series. Especially Round 2 vs St Louis

Most people forget the Blues shipped him for the first 10 minutes of game 1 and Quick set the tone for that series as a brick wall

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I know he was a rookie so it was easier to go back to the starter but one thing to remember with Ward was that he was pulled twice, and the Canes went back to Gerber briefly in the Buffalo series before he was pulled and Ward finished out the playoffs. It was a good run for Ward but had some hiccups as well. Quick really had none.

I also disagree with the comment that the Canes wouldn’t have won the cup without Ward’s great performance. Obviously they couldn’t have won with Gerber blowing it as he did, but that was an extremely deep team and I think a lot of goalies could have had a similar run of success behind them. I think they get really underrated due to how quickly they fell off.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Its Quick, but still can't believe Ward wasn't arrested for grand larceny here.

For what it's worth, I wasn't overly impressed by Ward in 2006. I would have voted for Brind'Amour and Staal ahead of him, for the Smythe. (I probably would have voted for Pronger over either of them). But that was a disgusting, all-time great save.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
For what it's worth, I wasn't overly impressed by Ward in 2006. I would have voted for Brind'Amour and Staal ahead of him, for the Smythe. (I probably would have voted for Pronger over either of them). But that was a disgusting, all-time great save.

I'm still surprised Staal didn't win it, figured he was a lock after scoring 28 points which had only been surpassed by Sakic and Leetch in the previous 25 years.

(not including Gretzky & Lemieux obviously)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad