Common Sense Line-up for 2014-2015

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Great read on zone entries for the Wings: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2014/8/21/6050667/zone-entries-and-the-red-wings

If this isn't a ringing endorsement for putting Smith on the PP, I'm not sure what is.

I don't know how to embed the charts in this article, but could someone embed the zone stats for forwards and d men?

Tatar, Nyquist and Smith are so good.

That's actually a really encouraging number for Weiss. I'm shocked its that high given the season he had. He should be able to effectively play a puck possession style if he's healthy.

I'm surprised Alfie looks so poorly.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Tatar, Nyquist and Smith are so good.

That's actually a really encouraging number for Weiss. I'm shocked its that high given the season he had. He should be able to effectively play a puck possession style if he's healthy.

I'm surprised Alfie looks so poorly.

I'm not that surprised with Alfredsson's numbers. Alfie played well when he wasn't counted on to be the main possession player on his line but when he had to be he main puck handler or "star" on a line that he underwhelmed me.

On the other hand I too was impressed with Weiss's numbers. I seem to recall he was good at in Florida so it's good to see that part of his game carried over even if it was just a small sample size.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
More like Cleary-Datsyuk-Abdelkader!

Worst line ever. Babcock never explained what he meant by Cleary and Abdelkader "creating space" for Datsyuk. Exactly what did that produce? Datsyuk couldn't score alongside them. Their presence---particularly that of Cleary---rendered one of the very best players in the league useless.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Worst line ever. Babcock never explained what he meant by Cleary and Abdelkader "creating space" for Datsyuk. Exactly what did that produce? Datsyuk couldn't score alongside them. Their presence---particularly that of Cleary---rendered one of the very best players in the league useless.

It did create one thing: the end to end Datsyuk goal at Nashville because he came to the conclusion that he had a better chance to score by ignoring his linemates and doing it all by himself.

I remember he had almost no assists (it might have even been zero) to either of them when he was centering both of them. One of the best playmakers in the world couldn't even assist them in finding the back of the net.

The best part was when Abdelkader remained on his line and his first couple goals were indeed Datsyuk shooting pucks off of him lol.

Oh it's actually funny looking back now, but I was so pissed off at the time.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The best part was when Abdelkader remained on his line and his first couple goals were indeed Datsyuk shooting pucks off of him lol.

The problem is Datsyuk always has glowing things to say about playing with Abdelkader. And I don't think he's being diplomatic. He seems to genuinely enjoy how he goes to the dirty areas and makes chaos.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The problem is Datsyuk always has glowing things to say about playing with Abdelkader. And I don't think he's being diplomatic. He seems to genuinely enjoy how he goes to the dirty areas and makes chaos.

I think we only really hear about it so much because people/reporters actually talk/ask about it (him playing with Abdelkader.)

I also feel like people try to sell us that he loves playing with him, but I take it all with a giant grain of salt.

When has Datsyuk never talked gloatingly about a linemate? I remember when him and Hossa were finally split up around New Year of 09. When reporters asked him about not playing with Hossa he told them he felt like crying.

We just have to hear more about him wanting to play with Abdelkader because people actually question why a player like Abdelkader has gotten to play with Datsyuk so much. That's how I see it at least.

But regardless, it's still Babcock's call.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Abby strength is puck battles and his weakness is puckhandling (I really dislike his passing game, it's just not good). I guess that sounds like a checking line player, but I also guess that in kind of make sense to have one checker per line for the checking duties.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Forward group with Alfie:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Mantha-Helm-Pulkinnen

I wouldn't want to start Mantha's contract clock by playing him on the 4th line. If he makes the team out of camp...it's because they think he can score goals for them. Also, it'll probably depend of if Alfredsson returns. Mantha will be on the 2nd or 3rd line if he turns heads at camp or he'll get 1st line minutes in GR and let him get used to the pro game.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn't want to start Mantha's contract clock by playing him on the 4th line. If he makes the team out of camp...it's because they think he can score goals for them. Also, it'll probably depend of if Alfredsson returns. Mantha will be on the 2nd or 3rd line if he turns heads at camp or he'll get 1st line minutes in GR and let him get used to the pro game.

His contract is already starting. He's done in juniors.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really hope the Wings sign Dekeyser soon. Like today would be nice.

GrimWings

#Greenforpresident
Jun 28, 2014
Right here
8 years at 72 million? ;)

JK. Since he signed free agent, does the under 27 RFA rule still apply to him? We could just give him 2 years at 3 million. Or pay him the Quincey Ericsson special for 6 years? :)

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
It did create one thing: the end to end Datsyuk goal at Nashville because he came to the conclusion that he had a better chance to score by ignoring his linemates and doing it all by himself.

I remember he had almost no assists (it might have even been zero) to either of them when he was centering both of them. One of the best playmakers in the world couldn't even assist them in finding the back of the net.

Oh it's actually funny looking back now, but I was so pissed off at the time.

Abdelkader is a passable top-six player. He does create space, he does play a decent net-front role, and he's got the speed to participate in the cycle. He does fine, but only fine, on a line with two skilled players. Cleary can do none of those three things, and the presence of them both effectively neutered Datsyuk.

I'm thinking the 5 year 20 million will get it done.

... in which case there will be no room for Alfredsson, because of Cleary and Quincey.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Abdelkader is a passable top-six player. He does create space, he does play a decent net-front role, and he's got the speed to participate in the cycle. He does fine, but only fine, on a line with two skilled players. Cleary can do none of those three things, and the presence of them both effectively neutered Datsyuk.

... in which case there will be no room for Alfredsson, because of Cleary and Quincey.

Why not Jurco will be sent to Grand Rapids, And that would give Detroit about $1.5M to sign Alfredsson plus any bonus money would go on next years cap any ways. I still think we can sign him. The only bad part is that puts us up to the cap and without putting any one on LTIR it might be harder to bring up players but a lot of teams will have that same problem as well.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Really hope the Wings sign Dekeyser soon. Like today would be nice.

Nah he's gonna sign, he's just gotta take his time and make Kenneh sweat. :laugh: The more money DeKeyser gets from Holland, the less Holland has to waste on washed up hockey players who are well past their prime. Only old washed up guys sign for the hometown discount nowadays.

Hey hey Hockeytown! :sarcasm:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Abdelkader gets a lot of flak for his lack of production in the top6, but he's made some nice strides every year. Even if the production doesn't necessarily follow, you can see him "getting it" a little better every time.

still, I think it's wrong to put him there when we have two other big bodies - Sheahan and Jurco - who could arguably do it better right now. I'm still hoping to see a fourth line with Helm and Abdelkader on it this year, and more skill jammed into the top9.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
I used to be a die hard Wings fan, starting in the early 90s, but when Lidstrom hung them up it "broke my heart". I have still watched some games but haven't been the same until this season, when it feels like I have finally gotten it out of my system.

So in the words of HF, I'm roaring back!

It seems like Franzen gets energized by playing with Nyqvist,is it save to assume that the two will be paired up on a line this season?

Third link being...?

I've always thought thar Helm is way too good to be put on the fourth line. Would love to see him centering Franzen and Gusto, that would leave the Swedes open to focus on offence while Helm can buzz around forechecking, backchecking and other defensive objectives.

Just a thought.

Let Abdelkader, Andersson, Glendenning (sp?) or Cleary center the fourth line instead.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco

Nyqvist-Helm-Franzen

Sheahan-Weiss-Tatar

Abdelkader-Glendenning-Cleary

Alfie puts Cleary in the press box if he signs.

What do you think?

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I used to be a die hard Wings fan, starting in the early 90s, but when Lidstrom hung them up it "broke my heart". I have still watched some games but haven't been the same until this season, when it feels like I have finally gotten it out of my system.

So in the words of HF, I'm roaring back!

It seems like Franzen gets energized by playing with Nyqvist,is it save to assume that the two will be paired up on a line this season?

Third link being...?

I've always thought thar Helm is way too good to be put on the fourth line. Would love to see him centering Franzen and Gusto, that would leave the Swedes open to focus on offence while Helm can buzz around forechecking, backchecking and other defensive objectives.

Just a thought.

Let Abdelkader, Andersson, Glendenning (sp?) or Cleary center the fourth line instead.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Jurco

Nyqvist-Helm-Franzen

Sheahan-Weiss-Tatar

Abdelkader-Glendenning-Cleary

Alfie puts Cleary in the press box if he signs.

What do you think?

I like the top line and I think either Jurco or Sheahan would work really well the Euro Twins. I don't really like seeing Cleary in the lineup at all but if he proves he can handle playing 4th line minutes in training camp than let him play. I also think Helm and Weiss should switch places. I still believe in Weiss and Helm doesn't have the hockey IQ to really get the most out of Nyquist/Franzen. Lastly, I don't think Glendening is a center at the NHL level. Right now he's not good enough at FO so I'd swap Andersson in for him and move Glendening to the right wing.

My ideal lineup would be this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Sheahan
Nyquist-Weiss-Franzen
Tatar-Helm-Jurco
Abdelkader-Andersson-Miller

This lineup has your main pkers in Weiss, Andersson, Miller, Abdelkader and Helm; while also giving us our 2 PP units of Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Franzen & Nyquist/Tatar/Sheahan.

Of course if Alfredsson comes back than move Sheahan to the #3C role and Helm to Andersson's spot while also giving him a spot on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad