GDT: Columbus @ Carolina | 3/29 7:00PM EDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Regardless of what happens over the rest of the season. I can't see Umberger back on the team next season. 4.6m in salary that hasn't been playing terribly but could do better is getting scratched while 5.3m in salary (Horton) that is doing absolutely nothing to help this team right now is continuing to play.

Another 1.7m that kicks in next year in Boll can't even get a sniff of the lineup right now.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I won't be able to watch because of a birthday party. I'm worried about Carolina as usual.

I like Richards, but I wouldn't scratch Umberger.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 44s
Tropp in. Umberger out.
what the what

Okay, remember how I was really worried when we first hired Richards as an assistant because during the end of his tenure at Minnesota he was basically flailing about doing all sorts of random stuff to somehow magically motivate the Wild and it became ever increasingly obvious that he had no clue as to what he was doing?

This is getting uncomfortably familiar. :(

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
what the what

Okay, remember how I was really worried when we first hired Richards as an assistant because during the end of his tenure at Minnesota he was basically flailing about doing all sorts of random stuff to somehow magically motivate the Wild and it became ever increasingly obvious that he had no clue as to what he was doing?

This is getting uncomfortably familiar. :(

I've been done with Richards for a while now.

He doesn't have any answers; thus the failing... err flailing around.

If the front office doesn't have the balls to fire him; they're going to have to play the old trick of trading away any temptations that Richards might have of doing something truly moronic.

Having said that, RJ didn't do much after his return from being scratched. At least Atkinson has.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We are joking right? This feeding frenzy on Horton just has to stop. It's unproductive and removing him from the lineup won't help us score more goals or win more games.

You think its a witchhunt, but to me it looks like you just haven't noticed how bad Horton has been and how he is dragging his teammates down. He's probably not in a slump or anything like that, it seems more likely that there is a major physical issue. There's no reason to play him through it, he isn't going to help us like this.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Have to think that if Richards tinkers his way out of the playoffs He won't be here next year.

I can't take much more of this. I want a reporter from the Columbus media to call him out on why you scratch your top power play and goal scoring threat on a team that can't score right now.

If I'm catching signals from our leadership correctly, we don't need pure scoring forwards or gritty garbage goal scorers, but we keep wheeling Horton out on the top line on the power play every night. As long as we roll 3 lines of mediocre grinders, we'll be okay in their minds.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I thought RJ was good last night. Yeah, he didn't put the puck in the back of the net, but neither did anyone else at forward.

It's not like Tropp is going to magically fix this team's inability to score... We also can't be scratching Horton. Does he deserve to be scratched? Absolutely, but he's still better than almost anyone else on the team.

I think Atkinson/Calvert are the ones that are going to break through if anyone. That's aside from the usual of Wisniewski, Johansen, and Foligno, of course.

thebus2288*

Ha finally. I thought the 1st scratch was a fluke. You guys are just comparing him to last year. He was being CARRIED by Johansen and Foligno. Only person I'd sit over Umberger is Comeau. I'd rather see Boll in over all of them AND Tropp. Actually would like to see Skille get called back up too.

Skille/Tropp-Mack-Boll

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Ha finally. I thought the 1st scratch was a fluke. You guys are just comparing him to last year. He was being CARRIED by Johansen and Foligno. Only person I'd sit over Umberger is Comeau. I'd rather see Boll in over all of them AND Tropp. Actually would like to see Skille get called back up too.

Skille/Tropp-Mack-Boll

What a stupid post.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
#SmashTheSlipper first then #BlowOutTheHurricanes

i'd like to see Arty on Joey's wing...would be fun to watch...

thebus2288*

I want a reporter from the Columbus media to call him out on why you scratch your top power play and goal scoring threat on a team that can't score right now.

Come on..you really think that? You people really think that RJ Umberger is an offensive threat? Our top "goal scoring" threat? Half the goals he gets are lucky as ****. The others are tap ins. He's had probably the most favorable line combos all year. Yes 18 goals is a good number, I cant argue that AND some have been pretty timely, but its nothing that any other player with the same opportunities couldn't have done. Dude still cant make or accept a pass.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Come on..you really think that? You people really think that RJ Umberger is an offensive threat? Our top "goal scoring" threat? Half the goals he gets are lucky as ****. The others are tap ins. He's had probably the most favorable line combos all year. Yes 18 goals is a good number, I cant argue that AND some have been pretty timely, but its nothing that any other player with the same opportunities couldn't have done. Dude still cant make or accept a pass.
RJ Umberger, last night, was able to control the puck and dig it out of the corners for his teammates. I specifically remember that because I followed him last night and was thinking the whole time "wow, he looks much better than the old Umberger."

That makes him valuable. Now, the Umberger of the past would have had the puck jump off his stick as soon as he touched it. That's not the case right now, he's able to control it and make decent passes.

The correct move isn't to scratch him for some useless plug like Boll or Tropp. It's to bring in someone like Moulsen, Vanek, or keep Gaborik at the trade deadline and... oh nevermind.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Who else on our team is willing to score this type of goal?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Another point about Umberger is our defense seems to have an inability to put the puck through bodies recently. The book is out; our gameplan is to generate offense from our blueline and teams need to put 110% pressure on the point.

Wisniewski is the only one decent at shooting the puck. If Umberger is there to score garbage goals, you can't have your defensemen sending it off of the shinpads of a forward who is standing in front of them. What's more, they can't be ho-humming their way through a powerplay and looking for the perfect opportunity for minutes at a time. They need to learn how to shoot it hard and accurately through a screen.

For once, I'd love to see Wiz or Nikitin just rear back and put a hard slapper right into an opposing player. Dare them to stand in front of you. Give them a little chin music so they don't crowd the plate.

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
McBackup doesn't make me nervous. The fact that they've managed a WHOPPING 2.33 goals per game since the Olympic break makes me nervous.

thebus2288*

RJ Umberger, last night, was able to control the puck and dig it out of the corners for his teammates. I specifically remember that because I followed him last night and was thinking the whole time "wow, he looks much better than the old Umberger."

That makes him valuable.

See your comparing him to the player he was when he was literally one of the worst players in the league. On this team right now he's a 4th liner AT BEST. Throw him out front on the PP if you want, whatever. No PK. 11-13 minutes a night. But I hear enough people on here *****ing about money(salary/cap#'s) and the team not playing good enough "when the fans show up" that with his cap hit (3rd highest?) he should have already been bought out. Gaborik WOULD have looked nice in all these spots Umberger's been.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Another point about Umberger is our defense seems to have an inability to put the puck through bodies recently. The book is out; our gameplan is to generate offense from our blueline and teams need to put 110% pressure on the point.

Wisniewski is the only one decent at shooting the puck. If Umberger is there to score garbage goals, you can't have your defensemen sending it off of the shinpads of a forward who is standing in front of them. What's more, they can't be ho-humming their way through a powerplay and looking for the perfect opportunity for minutes at a time. They need to learn how to shoot it hard and accurately through a screen.

For once, I'd love to see Wiz or Nikitin just rear back and put a hard slapper right into an opposing player. Dare them to stand in front of you. Give them a little chin music so they don't crowd the plate.

Like the original The Longest Yard. I've been thinking this for awhile now.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I just hope whoever is in the lineup will freaking generate chances. Point shots missing and clearing the zone is like shooting the self in the foot. Crap shots from the outside don't generate great rebounds, and when they do... nobody in front. Actually, we really haven't had anyone parking their butt in front of the netminder. More like fight in the corner, manage to cycle it a few times and lose it without generating anything but 30 seconds off the clock. I feel we have played against ourselves more often than not and it has less to do with the opponent outright beating us.

This game... please push it. Puck to net

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I've been non-plussed with Umberger since he signed his contract extension. That said, scratching him tonight is a mistake. He's not the problem with this team and Corey Tropp is not the spark plug to our scoring woes.

thebus2288*

Who else on our team is willing to score this type of goal?

Boll would be perfect. Anisimov does and is way better out front than Umberger. Calvert and Atkinson while smaller, get in close with their speed and agility. All of these guys are better at actually tipping the puck also. I'd argue that Umberger isn't even actually any good out front. He just doesn't pass the eye test with me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad