News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
It's pretty standard. I don't think there are a lot of examples of these stand alone services but Marquee Sports Network which basically is all Cubs, costs that much. At least with Altitude+ you get the Nuggets and Avs.

Hopefully you'll get the ability to start from start or rewind -- Marquee is really shitty about that. You can rewind a little bit if you come in late, but it's glitchy and half the time it shoots you back to live. For $20 a month you should be able to watch any way you want and have a few "DVR" features. Then again, whoever they get to make these apps are likely not in the same league as whoever does the major streaming apps -- and even a lot of those suck on certain platforms. I hope it works well for you guys nearer to Colorado.

Plus Dallas' service is free

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Yes, Dallas Stars and Anaheim Ducks fans are lucky at the moment, but I think that's just a stopgap so that they can have broadcasts at all. I imagine there will be a long term solution for those teams that's not free.

What I was referring to in regard to $20 being standard is for teams that have their own networks a la carte - not every streaming service there is. There is Marquee, Altitude+ and I think the Lakers and Dodgers had a similar thing at least for a while. There could be others, I don't pay attention to all that usually. It's not a common situation and with how complicated sports rights and blackouts can be, it's a good solution for someone like me who doesn't want cable or a streaming option that's basically cable. I don't mind paying $20 a month to see my favorite team if it means not paying $90 for Fubo, which has mostly stuff I don't need and a crap interface.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I pay 45€/month (50$/month) just to watch the Avs play. Of course there is a lot more content for the price also, but I rarely use it for anything else. 20$/month is nothing.

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
Yes, Dallas Stars and Anaheim Ducks fans are lucky at the moment, but I think that's just a stopgap so that they can have broadcasts at all. I imagine there will be a long term solution for those teams that's not free.

What I was referring to in regard to $20 being standard is for teams that have their own networks a la carte - not every streaming service there is. There is Marquee, Altitude+ and I think the Lakers and Dodgers had a similar thing at least for a while. There could be others, I don't pay attention to all that usually. It's not a common situation and with how complicated sports rights and blackouts can be, it's a good solution for someone like me who doesn't want cable or a streaming option that's basically cable. I don't mind paying $20 a month to see my favorite team if it means not paying $90 for Fubo, which has mostly stuff I don't need and a crap interface.
Vegas's service is $10/mo.

I'd also expect the app to be super buggy these first few years.

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
I watch all my NHL games on espn+ or whatever is on YouTube tv. I do get Avs Wild blacked out though which sucks and I don’t get nor will pay for balleys

If I still lived in Denver I can’t imagine how annoying the last 5 years have been especially since the Avs have been good.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
People are definitely going to balk at that price, especially the ones who have gotten accustomed to sailing the seven seas over the past few years with no other options.

And when fewer people than they hope for sign up for the service, some genius on the board of directors is going to raise the price of the service to make up the revenue shortfall and then wonder why subscriber numbers keep falling.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, the fact that this all coincided with the best level of play from the Avs in two decades.

Stan might know real estate and Joe definitely knows hockey, but nobody in the Org knows how to run a TV station. The Avs media has always done its absolute best to limit the spread of information, but maybe they took it a bit far by blacking out the entire local area from games. :laugh:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Wasn't Comcast charging almost $20 per month in local sports fees before they cut off Altitude? I think it's reasonable but sure it ain't cheap. I think 20 games free is probably about right, gets the teams exposure they weren't getting before. I do pay for ESPN+ so I'll try the VPN again but it's been rough for 2 seasons now with lots of blackouts. It was so annoying I just became a big Streameast fan until that blew up.

Just can't have nice things any more

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Most streaming services are hemorrhaging money. Netflix is only just now jacking up their prices now that their mountains of VC cash have dried up. Only a matter of time before those other outfits do the same. Those prices are simply not sustainable.

$20 is obviously not cheap but I don’t think it’s astronomical either.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's all about content for Altitude+. I've been saying this for years. They're sitting on a gold mine of content. I work in film/video production and I know what they put out could be MUCH better.

If they create good enough content, people will pay for it, and their streaming service will be successful. Or they can package it and use it to sell the rights to their broadcast if that's what they want down the road.

What they should do among other content ideas IMO, is do multiple mini docs throughout the season, that are much more in depth, and better edited, with more BTS action and interviews, than the 360 videos.

One about the draft, off season, training camp, and pre-season. A second about the first half of the season around the holiday break. A third after the deadline at the end of the season, hyping up the playoffs. Then another about their playoff run.

This would incentivize people to pay for Attitude+, and then they could sell it to ESPN+ and/or Sportsnet in the off season. Which could hype up the product, and incentive people even more to pay for Altitude+, when they realize how good the content is, and that they could watch these in season, rather than waiting until the end. Especially if it includes another Cup year.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
$20/ month to watch the Avs and Nuggets is prohibitive? Man, I don't get it. Netflix/Hulu/Prime have tens - hundreds - of millions of subscribers worldwide. So yeah, they can price it where they have it. Thing is, as someone said above, Netflix in particular has a mountain of debt right now. Not sure their pricing model is the goal. Altitude is a niche product. It's also a business. They're entitled earn money.

$20 gets you Avs + Nuggets plus all the local AFA, CSU, DU coverage plus all of Altitude's pre and post game production. And you're also getting talent and broadcasters who KNOW your teams and are working specifically to provide coverage centered on it. Unlike your friends at ESPN +.

I'm not Altitude fan, but as I thought about it, I don't get the outrage. $20 a month is 3 cups of coffee at Starbucks. Or these days, a couple of meals at McDonalds.

Reactions: Murzu

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
$20/ month to watch the Avs and Nuggets is prohibitive? Man, I don't get it. Netflix/Hulu/Prime have tens - hundreds - of millions of subscribers worldwide. So yeah, they can price it where they have it. Thing is, as someone said above, Netflix in particular has a mountain of debt right now. Not sure their pricing model is the goal. Altitude is a niche product. It's also a business. They're entitled earn money.

$20 gets you Avs + Nuggets plus all the local AFA, CSU, DU coverage plus all of Altitude's pre and post game production. And you're also getting talent and broadcasters who KNOW your teams and are working specifically to provide coverage centered on it. Unlike your friends at ESPN +.

I'm not Altitude fan, but as I thought about it, I don't get the outrage. $20 a month is 3 cups of coffee at Starbucks. Or these days, a couple of meals at McDonalds.
Some people don't care about any of the other team(s) content. So, for instance, I only care about watching Avs games because I don't usually watch the NBA, don't care about the Air Force or DU games, etc. It quite literally does not appeal to me and I have no interest in being sold "you get this too!"

So, while I understand that it appears that $20 is more the floor for this type of service, relative to other teams who've launched a similar product, that doesn't mean that I find value in "you get the Avs games you want PLUS ALL THESE OTHER TEAMS!" because I don't...

Reactions: Alienblood

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Some people don't care about any of the other team(s) content. So, for instance, I only care about watching Avs games because I don't usually watch the NBA, don't care about the Air Force or DU games, etc. It quite literally does not appeal to me and I have no interest in being sold "you get this too!"

So, while I understand that it appears that $20 is more the floor for this type of service, relative to other teams who've launched a similar product, that doesn't mean that I find value in "you get the Avs games you want PLUS ALL THESE OTHER TEAMS!" because I don't...
I mean, that's basically why we all cut cable, right?

We only wanted to pay for the content we want to consume.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Congrats, @The Mars Volchenkov! Well deserved.
1727456286047.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't know what the Denver Gazette is (like is it a replacement for the Rocky Mountain News?), but obviously, this is a big promotion. Congrats brethren, you deserve it!

I feel like a proud parent, first, we had RS join the Hurricanes and now Mars is writing for a newspaper.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know what the Denver Gazette is (like is it a replacement for the Rocky Mountain News?), but obviously, this is a big promotion. Congrats brethren, you deserve it!

I feel like a proud parent, first, we had RS join the Hurricanes and now Mars is writing for a newspaper.
The Gazette is a Colorado Springs-based newspaper that's been running since the 19th century, they opened up a Denver branch not that long ago. It's nice because it fills the void left by the Rocky Mountain News to an extent. The Post has actually done a'ight in recent years by getting Corey Masisak, but it'll be nice having two beat reporters covering the Avs from the two biggest newspapers in the area, just the old days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad